BMW S1000RR Rocker Cover Oil Leak

Joeman

Decided this needs its own thread so that people searching the web with the same problem can find it more easily.

It doesnt seem to be a common fault, but i have found a couple of other people who had the rocker cover gaskget leak on their BMW S1000RR. Also its a great place to track the progress of the fault.

I bought the bike from a BMW main dealer. an all black '13 plate S1000RR, less than a year old with about 2700 miles on the clock.

After owning it for a couple of weeks, it sprung a leak and squirted oil down the right hand fairing:

IMG_20140330_181409.jpg

I took the bike back to BMW, who held onto the bike for a week, and cured the leak, but on closer inspection, i discovered they had simply added wads of silicone sealant: :evil:

IMG_20140421_150331.jpg

Now im pretty sure they dont leave the facotry covered in blobs of silicone and with a big chunk of silicone hanging off the side of the engine, so this morning I sent the dealership and email to ask if this is really the quality of workmanship i should expect from a BMW main dealer....

I think unlike most BMW riders, i actually know about bikes and how they work, so i wont be taking any bull$hit excuses.

Minor faults are one thing - they can happen to anything mechanical, but there really is no excuse for a silicone bodge-job like this from a main dealership! :evil:

Not good at all Joe!

If thats all their fix is then you could have done that yourself and been riding the next day!!

yep, my thoughts exactly... any idiot can squirt silicone about!!

Im now wondering what the inside of the engine looks like???

Would be interesting if you could post up their responce, just curious to see how they`d respond.

I don't think i`d be too happy either.. shoddy work for such a reputable company.

Last thing you want on a 13 plate is silicone all around the engine :shock:

Would be interesting if you could post up their responce, just curious to see how they`d respond.

I don't think i`d be too happy either.. shoddy work for such a reputable company.

Last thing you want on a 13 plate is silicone all around the engine :shock:

I'm giving them the day to respond to my email with photos attached before i pick up the phone and start giving them grief.

Lets hope they do the right thing and get this mess sorted out.

So far ive had a failed alarm system (it was dead the day i went to collect the bike but i took the bike anyway), an oil leak from the rocker cover, and then all this silicone sealant. Clearly BMW standards are not what they used to be and its starting to put me off what would otherwise be a fantastic bike... They need to really up their game a bit if they expect me to buy another bike from them in the future.

problems with a bike is one thing. a pain in the neck - obviously. but should be repaired in a professional manner in a way that BMW will approve of so any warranty can carry forward to a subsequent owner without issue.

that bears all the hallmarks of a 'bodge' to me. I'm pretty sure BMW would take a very dim view.

If you get no joy. Take it to the top.

BMW Motorrad UK

Ellesfield Avenue

Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: 0870 5050 160

Fax: 0870 5050 205

Mail: [email protected]

URL: http://www.motorrad.co.uk

I think the obvious thing here is that you should have bought a Kwak - 8 years of abuse and mine still runs megasweet.

On a serious note, it sounds like they've had enough opportunity to sort it out and it needs to be banged up a notch.

Spoke to the Service manager yesterday who agreed that it didnt look good.

He's told me to ride it in on Saturday morning and they'll clean it up whilst i wait...

Im planning to ask if Silicone is applied in the factory, and if the previous faulty gasket was actually replaced, or if it just bodged with silicone.

My view is that it should have been replaced properly, not just bodged.

Whilst i wait, i may as well take something for a test ride, so going to see if they have a S1000 (Naked version of the RR) avialable for a spin... will see if i can pop the rocker gasket on that one too :twisted: