Peugeot speedfight 2 problems

Guest danyboy

Hi all,I don't know if anyone can advise here,but here's my problem,I am trying to get my sons peugeot speedfight 2 running again,the story goes,he drove it 30 miles one day,then went to the garage to fill up,then it would not start again,I managed to get it started using easy start,but it run like a pig,and would leak petrol out of the overflow all the time,anyway to cut a long story short,I have since fitted a new aftermarket carb,with a 72 main jet fitted,I was assured this would be ok with the sports exhaust it has fitted,the original one on the old gurtner carb was a 58 main jet.Anyway it will start no problem and tick over,but it won't rev hardly at all,unless I take off the front part of the air box,so I'm only using the air filter that is fitted to the carb.The automatic choke seems knackered also,as it will not fully extend,when 12 volts is applied to it,so I got a new one and fitted it,but the volts aren't there when I start the bike,so that seemed a waste of time,so I am now thinking of getting a manual choke kit for it,can anyone suggest which way to go with this,as I am running out of ideas here,I have tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture,but it does not make a lot of difference.any help or advice would be most welcome,sorry for the long description

Regards Dan.....

So you have a air filter on the carb as well as the airbox? You dont need both, it will be struggling for air as you are finding.

Is there any adjustment on the auto choke? There is usually some position screws. It maybe that its not quite right for the carb, old carb may have require less motiom to open? Maybe?

Hi thankyou for the reply,no the air filter on this bike is sort of two parts,one main part pushes on the carb and the other longer piece pushes into the other end of that,the auto choke came with the new carb,it seems standard on the speedfight 2 liquid cooled version,the problem I think with the choke is that I don't seem to have the 12 volts on the feed wires to it,so it is stuck on,as if the bike is cold starting,but this only seems to be half the problem

Regards Dan....

Have you tried checking the wre connections to the auto choke further up the loom? You might find a faulty connector or a broken wire.

Regarding the starting problem, will the bike run ok without the air filters in place? If so one or both filters may be blocked and need replacing.

Hi yes I have checked the auto choke problem,i was testing the supply to it on my test meter,set on the DC range,ive since found out after much searching that the voltage supplying it is actually AC voltage,so that is actually ok.I have now been informed by the new carb supplier,that I should be fitting an even larger main jet,they say an 82 or an 84 size & this should sort out all my problems

yeah right

thanks for the help everybody.

regards dan.............

Hi ill certainly let you know the outcome,so far since my son has had this bike,ive fitted a new piston & barrel/new battery/new reed valve block/new auto choke/new carburettor/petrol filter/now new main jets.Hes only had it 8 months.

regards dan...............