New to the motorbike forum? Then say hello here
Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 2060 times
Been Liked: 1694 times

Re: Should I give up?

#31 Post by Joeman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 pm

How is the CBT not fit for purpose??
It's exactly what's it says - Basic Training and it's does exactly that, it provides new riders the basics.

It's only in recent times that people have started failing their CBT. Back when I did mine nobody failed and everyone was out on the road immediate afterwards on their own bikes.
But back then the world was a different place not filled with political correctness and people worrying about everything. These days everyone is a worrier and nothing seems to get done as a result!!

bonio
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger XRX 800, RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has Liked: 1732 times
Been Liked: 686 times

#32 Post by bonio » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:29 pm

I don't think the CBT is working well these days. The first one Mrs Bonio did - this was about 3 years ago - was all talk talk talk from the instructor from 9 until 1. Then after a spot of lunch, they started riding the bikes, doing corners and figures of eight, and whaddya know? - 3 o'clock came and none of the punters were ready to go out on the road. Clearly, no-one was intended to pass that day. And when she did the retake (different place), what do you think happened? - another few hours of the same spiel. She didn't pass that day either, but had to go back for a third try. She did another CBT just a few months ago, now with a bit more riding experience behind her. There was young lad also on the course, who'd never been on a bike before, and by the beginning of the afternoon, he'd been taken off simply so the missus could have a chance to complete her road test. As it was, there was only just enough time to get her through - even though she started out the day already being able to ride at the required standard.

I understand why the standard is set where it is - it is only just above basic survival level. But given that it's touch and go whether you can pass even when you start out at that standard, something is wrong. As it is, I think it puts too much faith in learning by listening and gives too little time for practising basic manoeuvres. It wasn't like this when I did mine 9 years ago.
Two Soups

Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 2060 times
Been Liked: 1694 times

#33 Post by Joeman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 am

Sounds like it's changed alot since I took mine.
Do they make money from people having to come back for a second day? Or do they save money by limiting bike time and not passing people??

bonio
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger XRX 800, RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has Liked: 1732 times
Been Liked: 686 times

#34 Post by bonio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Joeman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 am
Do they make money from people having to come back for a second day? Or do they save money by limiting bike time and not passing people??
£120 on the nail each morning you turn up.
Two Soups

NewBob
Bike(s): SINNIS TRACKSTAR 125cc (L)
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 6 times

#35 Post by NewBob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Op, why don't you consider buying a bike to start with? That way you can get a feel for it and learn the control positions etc and having the bike already might give you that psychological push you need to face your fears and get it done. Once you have it, you'll want to use it. Sit on it, practice the switches and while you're at it adjust your break pedal to fit your natural position. You could also learn how to maintain it. Clean it, change the oil, air filter oil filter etc... Buy the Haynes manual and who knows, with your perfection traits you may even increase its possible re-sale value and learn new mechanical skills. That way you'll either get out on the road or if not you may find a new hobby. If all else fails you can sell it and won't have increased its mileage by much. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Don't give up, biking its such a pleasure when it's not to work and back

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 1260 times
Been Liked: 854 times

#36 Post by geofferz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:26 am

bonio wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:29 pm
I don't think the CBT is working well these days. The first one Mrs Bonio did - this was about 3 years ago - was all talk talk talk from the instructor from 9 until 1. Then after a spot of lunch, they started riding the bikes, doing corners and figures of eight, and whaddya know? - 3 o'clock came and none of the punters were ready to go out on the road. Clearly, no-one was intended to pass that day. And when she did the retake (different place), what do you think happened? - another few hours of the same spiel. She didn't pass that day either, but had to go back for a third try. She did another CBT just a few months ago, now with a bit more riding experience behind her. There was young lad also on the course, who'd never been on a bike before, and by the beginning of the afternoon, he'd been taken off simply so the missus could have a chance to complete her road test. As it was, there was only just enough time to get her through - even though she started out the day already being able to ride at the required standard.

I understand why the standard is set where it is - it is only just above basic survival level. But given that it's touch and go whether you can pass even when you start out at that standard, something is wrong. As it is, I think it puts too much faith in learning by listening and gives too little time for practising basic manoeuvres. It wasn't like this when I did mine 9 years ago.
Conversely I did my cbt 4 years ago having never ridden and was very comfortable and confident after it, went and bought a bike that did 80mph, rode, never crashed, loved it.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

NewBob
Bike(s): SINNIS TRACKSTAR 125cc (L)
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 6 times

#37 Post by NewBob » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:10 pm

geofferz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:26 am
bonio wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:29 pm

Conversely I did my cbt 4 years ago having never ridden and was very comfortable and confident after it, went and bought a bike that did 80mph, rode, never crashed, loved it.
Did mine 3 years ago. Had never ridden before and straight after was commuting 20 miles each way, every day, through Birmingham City centre. There's a lot of talking but it's all safety advice and I like to think that's made me a better rider. I was nervous and stiff but still passed 1st time, so did everyone else that day. I think it is fit for purpose but I'd have concerns about the places Mrs Bonio went?!

3nineten
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 9 times

#38 Post by 3nineten » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:29 am

Just an update (as a thanks for your support and opinions, no matter what they were).
My injury is healing, it's bit weird as it's quite non linear, it will probably take until spring until I am fully fit/healed. I spoke to my instructor and he said I should try and go on the road with a pushbike - this is what I am going to do as soon as I can. Mentally, much better than 4-5 weeks ago. I still have very positive memories of riding (well, I miss it a lot!) and good support from the family. If I'd guess now, I'd say I'll be back on the bike early next year :) But I am giving it time and I am still not in position to make any decisions yet. Spoke to a couple of people who crashed much harder than I did, very interesting experience.

ps. I just realized it all sounds much bigger than it is.. most of the time I just think about how cool a Triumph Street Triple RS is 8-)

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 1260 times
Been Liked: 854 times

#39 Post by geofferz » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Good! You have my sympathy - I have a broken 4th metacarpal on my right hand and can't ride or rock climb for a couple of months (my 2 main hobbies). No surgery and at least it's not summer eh?
Spanker of cyclists' arses