Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

Newbie preparing to shop

New to the motorbike forum? Then say hello here
geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 844 times

Re: Newbie preparing to shop

Post by geofferz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:53 am

Jerry1111 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:29 pm
Arwen wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:00 am
Welcome! For your first bike, I sugest you go sit on as manhy bikes s you can at as many showrooms as you can. Not only is the look and sound something that m ost bikers look for in a bike, but comfort is a major thing.
OK, thanks for a list of bikes to try, I'll widen my horizons before pulling the trigger ;-)
I don't give monkeys about looks etc (this toy is for my enjoyment - couldn't care less what the onlookers think). The three tasks for this bike are enjoyment, grin on my face (already getting that prepping for MOD2) and getting experience.

In terms of fairing, how much difference would I notice between half- and full fairing? This would be for occasional commute (so some rain expected) and for evening/weekend fun. Obviously full fairing is going to result in a more costly drop - but that's why I'm aiming at 2nd hand bikes, will probably fit some crash bungs as well.
If you want fun get the fastest bike you can afford. Fairing doesn't bother me - if you ride in the rain you will get wet. What's your budget - 4k?
Spanker of cyclists' arses

Arwen
Bike(s): Honda MSX 125, Honda CMX500 (Rebel)
Has liked: 606 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Arwen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

XTreme wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm
Arwen wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:43 pm
can't say I noticed a difference from some of the baker's I've ridden.
You have a thing for men who work in bread shops Arwen? :shock:
Lol !! My phone is getting worse for auto correct these days, I really need to double check everything :lol:
dynax wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:24 am
Arwen wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:43 pm
I can't comment on the fairing thing, I've only ever ridden naked :lol:
FIFY :thumb:
:worthless:
:booty:
<<Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are.>>

Mississippi Bullfrog
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1285 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:37 am

Chances are whatever you go for now you will think about changing it within a fairly short time. It's quite common because you rarely find the right bike first time round. So go for something pretty cheap that you won't worry about dropping and you won't lose much on when you change it.

Or, if you then find your ideal toy, keep the hack for foul weather and the shiny one for the one day of the year when it doesn't rain.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Jerry1111
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jerry1111 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 am

Bender wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:19 pm
Fairing makes big difference especially this time of year, may I draw your attention to the S2 fz6 add that to your list, similar to xj6 but a bit more lively at top end but only if you want it to be.
That's exactly what I'm looking for - control its levels of liveliness by being in the rev range. Shame they stopped making these Fazers so long ago. I'm a bit sceptical of buying >10 years old bike, mainly to avoid rust rather than mechanical wear and tear. It's the seized bolts, rust creeping everywhere, etc, that I'm trying to avoid.

Jerry1111

Post by Jerry1111 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 am

fastbob wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 am
You say " I don't give monkeys about looks etc (this toy is for my enjoyment - couldn't care less what the onlookers think)." Yeah, but YOU'VE got to look at it
Nope, don't have to look at it - I've got to produce grin on MY face with it! If I'm looking at the thing, then I'm not riding it ;-)

Mississippi Bullfrog

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:26 am

Jerry1111 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 am
Bender wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:19 pm
Fairing makes big difference especially this time of year, may I draw your attention to the S2 fz6 add that to your list, similar to xj6 but a bit more lively at top end but only if you want it to be.
That's exactly what I'm looking for - control its levels of liveliness by being in the rev range. Shame they stopped making these Fazers so long ago. I'm a bit sceptical of buying >10 years old bike, mainly to avoid rust rather than mechanical wear and tear. It's the seized bolts, rust creeping everywhere, etc, that I'm trying to avoid.
Many 10+ year old bikes are built far better than current stuff. It's why I ride a 2006 Honda as my workhorse.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Jerry1111

Post by Jerry1111 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:19 am

geofferz wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:53 am
If you want fun get the fastest bike you can afford.
I'm trying not to kill myself just yet, if I empty my wallet I'll end up killing myself on the machine :D
That's why I like low grunt at low revs and more poke at high revs. Fast ones don't forgive beginners mistakes too easily - I don't yet trust myself enough not to do something silly.
Fairing doesn't bother me - if you ride in the rain you will get wet. What's your budget - 4k?
I will be annoyed if I drop a £15k bike and then have to change expensive plastics. I'll be much less annoyed dropping a £4k bike - will happily put it down to experience. So £4k give or take a few hundred is my starting point.

I'm assuming that the "first bike" will give me experience and riding time, I'll survive some mistakes and not get injured. I'm also assuming this bike will be swapped for something else within a year, simply because I'll outgrow it. I'm also assuming I'll lose a few hundred when swapping "first bike" for the next one - which is why I don't want the first one to be too expensive. I'm also assuming that I'll keep my second bike for longer - so it will be OK to spend more on it.

Because I don't know which will be the second bike - that's why I'm leaning towards first bike being a "universal" one, which I'm assuming the schools are going for as well - but I'm not sure if this is a good decision in terms of me progressing through experience.

Jerry1111

Post by Jerry1111 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:26 am
Many 10+ year old bikes are built far better than current stuff. It's why I ride a 2006 Honda as my workhorse.
Completely agree - nothing gets close to build quality of a good old Merc W124, but even in these cars the one thing that can't be mitigated is the rust of time. That's why mentally I'm trying to avoid things that are over 10 years old. Rust pops out, all the rubbers disintegrate (Vitron rubbers start to deteriorate after 10 years), bolts seize etc.
One exception is that I managed to keep my RIB outboard from 2006 in a very good nick - but that was a lot of hard work (most of the bolts removed yearly, lubed with Quicksilver 24c), lots of work in prevention because this is used in salt water. I can't afford the same amount of time on bikes/cars...

Mississippi Bullfrog

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am

Jerry1111 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am
Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:26 am
Completely agree - nothing gets close to build quality of a good old Merc W124, but even in these cars the one thing that can't be mitigated is the rust of time. That's why mentally I'm trying to avoid things that are over 10 years old. Rust pops out, all the rubbers disintegrate (Vitron rubbers start to deteriorate after 10 years), bolts seize etc.
One exception is that I managed to keep my RIB outboard from 2006 in a very good nick - but that was a lot of hard work (most of the bolts removed yearly, lubed with Quicksilver 24c), lots of work in prevention because this is used in salt water. I can't afford the same amount of time on bikes/cars...
Go to one of the bike supermarkets where they have lots of older bikes alongside newer stuff (I'm not suggesting buying from them as some are pile 'em high sell 'em cheap operations - but you get to compare older bikes to newer ones) - you will most likely find most rust and seized bolts on bikes under 10 years old. Whereas stuff older than 10 years old tends to be built of better quality components. The exception in my experience is Suzuki stuff as I've found their build quality has never been as bulletproof.

When I needed a workhorse I looked at new bikes, then found examples 2 years old in dealers, and noticed how many of them showed signs of corrosion and seized bolts - which for me is a pain in the backside. So looked older and found less rust and corrosion problems.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Return to “Newbies”