I failed my CBT :(

New to the motorbike forum? Then say hello here
Dougie
Bike(s): Honda CBF 125 2017
Been Liked: 5 times

I failed my CBT :(

#1 Post by Dougie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Good Day Guys,

I'm a new user here and found this site looking for peoples stories of failing their CBT as I failed mine as was doing some research on if anyone had the same issues as I to not only learn but honestly to make myself feel a little better.

So the Saturday that just passed I had my CBT, this is my first real time on a bike (My only other experience being crashing a dirt bike when i was 11 permanently damaging my left leg that now gives me pains every now and then) and I already own a Honda CBF 125 which I had got from a dealer a few months ago. I'm 19 and doing my CBT to get me to and from college and getting me to other places without needing to rely on others for transport.

I done my research and spoke to bikers I knew (Mainly my Pap as he use to instruct for CBTs and owned 2 beautiful Harleys) and I went to the CBT rather confident after being rather nervous of bikes after my young mistake.
Most the day goes well, It's me and a young Lass and she breezed through the training on her scooter while I'm starting to struggle on the use of gears and taking off - I analyse my mistakes and I know my weaknesses but I feel like not enough time is given to actually learn these skills to a comfortable level. I know I need to be in 1st gear before I take off (2nd in some cases) and I was getting the hang of slowly releasing the clutch and revving the bike to take off but I was very inconsistent in doing so. I could tell my mentor was getting impatient which made my anxiety kick in a bit, I was already full of nerves but now I'm panicking too!

By some miracle i make it through the basic training and make it to the road test (also known as element E), It starts off smooth, we make it to a local gas station and fill up and get going, it all seemed ok and my previous worries started to fade although my nerves were still there. Its difficult to listen to your mentor, manage gears, clutch, speed, road awareness, etc...

A little while on I made a few mistakes in regards of indicating (mainly forgetting to turn it off) and my positioning on the road - nothing too silly but it was not perfect. The main problem came when I stalled at turning I had to stop at to allow way to another road user, i stalled 3 times and was truly panicking at this point, this happened a few times and my instructor started to get angry and said things that really demoralised me such as "C'mon, this is basic stuff and you STILL cant do it?!" and "C'mon you're holding up traffic!" after stalling, after he said the second one that told my mind (that was under a mountain of pressure, a layer of panic, anxiety and depression and just struggling to cope full stop) that I need to go, he told me i need to get a move on so i got a move on into a roundabout while a car was coming, my mind couldn't register anything else other than 'GO!" because i had all this shit going on in my head.

I missed a car by a few inches and got beeped at, we found a place to stop and talk and he was losing it. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING MAN!" it was killing my spirit, i didnt want to do this shit in the 1st place but was pushed into it by my nan whos plan it was to do this all, i appreciate it and i will get there but mentally i was not ready for any of this. anyway, we start making our way back, im a mess mentally at this point and was forgetting life saver checks, was still struggling to change gears smoothly and a few other bits. at the end of it he told me to go home and think, calm down and come back in the future to get my free retry (within 6 months). this whole experience has really put me in a weird state of mind, ive thought on it and done more talking to my pap who as mentioned use to train people for CBTs back in the day and he was not happy to hear the things this man was saying to me but i can see both sides of the story.

At the end of the day i know my weaknesses and am getting training from my pap who lost his arm in a bike accident but he is going to sit with me and walk me though it verbally, watch me do it physically and just correct my mistakes and tell me what i need to do rahter than getting impatient. me and my pap have a very very close bond and he has made me want to carry on biking but thinks i should get a different mentor for when I do.

Sorry if this was long or hard to follow, it was alot for me to get out and im so tired but i just wanted to vent. I'll really appreciate some of your guys input and will stay active in the comments. thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any device.

- Dougie

rennie
Bike(s): Yamaha Midnight Star 1300
Has Liked: 2813 times
Been Liked: 1019 times

Re: I failed my CBT :(

#2 Post by rennie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello and Welcome :D

Just go and try again, maybe a different instructor/school?
Ian.

goat
Bike(s): None
Has Liked: 1719 times
Been Liked: 903 times

#3 Post by goat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm

You had a rough day by the sounds. Get a bit of practice with your dad then do the cbt again somewhere else. Doesn't sound like a very helpful environment to learn in.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - will miss you beaker.

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has Liked: 817 times
Been Liked: 920 times

#4 Post by mikestrivens » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Stay positive and go to another school. Learning to ride a bike and develop raid craft skills doesn’t come easy. Take your time and don’t be pressured into advancing beyond the pace you are happy with. Some instructors are real doozies.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

JesterPilgrim
Bike(s): ER-6F
Challenge Score: 30
Has Liked: 94 times
Been Liked: 39 times

#5 Post by JesterPilgrim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Sounds like a) you are really self-aware, and b) this person shouldn't be teaching.

Recommend you take a few breaths and go for it again, with a different school. Probably have a conversation with any new instructor about this experience before you get going!

Bender
Has Liked: 690 times
Been Liked: 1183 times

#6 Post by Bender » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Not every one learns at the same pace, a girl on my cbt went home in tears half way through. Go Ask if you can have more practice in the yard first, or pay for a couple of hours, if guy is a dick find another school.

Good luck
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

brad93
Bike(s): Kawasaki Z650 Performance Edition
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 95 times

#7 Post by brad93 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Welcome bud,

Sounds like you just need a bit more training. As you have your bike already I’d perhaps speak to your dad and just try sitting on it and finding the bite point as if you were going to pull off if you’ve got enough space / private land. As said above, might be worth seeing if you can get a few hours extra off road practice to focus on pulling off smoothly and learning the gears.

I did my CBT last year and even after driving for 8 years I still found the experience of going on the road first time incredibly nerve racking. Just keep at it and you’ll get there :)

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 1074 times
Been Liked: 727 times

#8 Post by geofferz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Welcome. You'll get it next time :-)
Spanker of cyclists' arses

Mississippi Bullfrog
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has Liked: 374 times
Been Liked: 1059 times

#9 Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Riding a motorcycle doesn’t come naturally to everyone. It sounds like you’re lacking confidence in basic control functions so on the road you’re trying to process too much at once, ie basic control plus road awareness.

I think you need someone to give you some time just learning to handle the bike. I found getting clutch and gears right was the key thing for learners. Once they were confident with clutch control the rest falls into place.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Challenge Score: 40
Has Liked: 3217 times
Been Liked: 2615 times

#10 Post by Hoggs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello! You shouldn't be taken out on to the roads until you've mastered the basics and the instructor shouldn't be shouting at you whilst riding.

I remember on my CBT I was pulling right out of a junction, went for ALL the gas, wildly careered towards the curb somehow managed to pull (flail) it back round and my instructor said "...that's not how we do right hand turns" then laughed and asked if I needed to pull over and regroup :lol:

Instructors play a HUGE part in the experience. If you don't like yours then look elsewhere :thumb:
NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE 2019 CHALLENGE?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68681

ImageStopping you having fun since 2017

Bonniebird
Bike(s): Triumph Bonneville T100
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 18 times

#11 Post by Bonniebird » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:29 pm

You did not 'fail' your CBT - the T stands for training not test and, as others have said, not everyone can get on and ride straight away and you just need a bit more training. The curse of all bikers is overthinking things and it sounds to me that you think about stuff a lot - ultimately it will make you a more careful and skilled biker but, while you're learning, it can be a barrier. Good advice on here, see if you can find some private land to practice on and maybe find a more sympathetic instructor. Try and see it as a positive - a few hours training is not really enough to equip anyone for the road and, in the extra time, you'll learn more and hopefully be safer.
Suus 'non facilis esset virens

Pubs 2/10

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Challenge Score: 130
Has Liked: 1006 times
Been Liked: 1130 times

#12 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi

Your dad sounds like the man who can help you master the bike control basics. I wouldn’t go back to that instructor again for all the tea in China, even I’d he was as nice as pie next time I wouldn’t be relaxed or confident he wouldn’t fly off the handle in some way.

Take your time don’t beat yourself up and acknowledge it’s not a simple thing but strength of will can get you there if you want it.

Good luck, keep us posted :thumb:
Last edited by Slowlycatchymonkey on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Challenge Score: 20
Has Liked: 1732 times
Been Liked: 1310 times

#13 Post by Tango » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 pm

As above.....see if there's another training school in the area and give it another go. Getting the throttle and clutch coordinated is probably the hardest part of starting out biking.....but once you've nailed it you'll look back and wonder why you got so worked up about it..... 8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

XO71
Bike(s): Zongshen ZS125-48a
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 11 times

#14 Post by XO71 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Hello Dougie,

Just to repeat what others have said, this was a bad instructor, not a bad pupil! I haven't even done my CBT yet, but I went for a 1 hour taster session at a local school. The instructor was the complete opposite of what you describe. Visit a couple of schools and talk to the people there. See if you can find someone you get on with as a person. Check out the reviews on Google. Don't let some impatient bloke who at best shouldn't have been at work that day put you off!

Mark

Dougie
Bike(s): Honda CBF 125 2017
Been Liked: 5 times

Appreciate the advice

#15 Post by Dougie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Wonderful evening, OP here.

Wow, wasn't expecting this many supportive and helpful replies, I'm very grateful for all your help and advice, I'm making notes and I am determined to pass even if it taken a few more shots. Definitely pursuing the private training with my Pops and will keep you all updated on any progress I've made.

Checking out a potential practice ground tomorrow after college where I hope I can improve on my bike knowledge and personal skills. Thank you all once again for such a positive welcome and as mentioned, will keep you all posted. :wink:

Much Love and Appreciation,

- Dougie :D
C. Dougie

Feel free to message me for my opinion, views or experiences.

Also more than happy to help with computer problems. :wink: