I failed my CBT :(

New to the motorbike forum? Then say hello here
Fleck
Bike(s): KTM Duke 390 and Honda Vision
Has Liked: 402 times
Been Liked: 134 times

Re: I failed my CBT :(

#16 Post by Fleck » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 pm

You need some more practice which will bring confidence, and definitely a different instructor..

What about booking a track day? might look a bit odd on a 125 but you'll have plenty of tarmac and time to build your skills up... Would be fun too :thumb:
Bikes:
2017 KTM Duke 390
2014 Honda Vision 110

Cars:
Errr... A small black one.

Topper
Bike(s): Kawasaki ZZR 1400 2007 model
Has Liked: 89 times
Been Liked: 81 times

#17 Post by Topper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Mate!........you are not the first and definitely not the last to fail their CBT

When you do pass........and you will, it will make you a better rider. :thumb:

good luck and welcome aboard

learningtofly
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R9T
Has Liked: 397 times
Been Liked: 441 times

#18 Post by learningtofly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 am

Bummer, but don't let it get you down. Your instructor sounds like a bit of a pillock, and you probably just needed a little more training before going out on the road. Good luck next time, but do find a different school/instructor.

xMachina
Bike(s): K6 Bandit 1200
Challenge Score: 300
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 124 times

#19 Post by xMachina » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am

Sounds like you had an awful instructor!

Have a watch of some of RJH Motorcycle Training’s videos on YouTube, they teach some great little routines that helped me with road positions, speed, obs, etc.

You’ll nail it, don’t let a bad teacher make you think you are a bad student.

JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge Score: 400
Has Liked: 839 times
Been Liked: 1045 times

#20 Post by JRH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 am

Hi sounds like you had a very unsympathetic instructor. the last thing you need when nervous is someone shouting in your ear. As said by others, see if there is a different training school in the area that you could go to.
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2019 challenge 100

Pubs 10 / 10
West Midlands 10 / 12
East Midlands 2 / 12
South Wales 1 / 12
South West England 2 / 12
Dealers 6 / 10
Tracks 4 / 20

Pbassred
Bike(s): Honda CBR500R
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 31 times

#21 Post by Pbassred » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Riding a motor cycle for the first time with no previous training is bad enough. Carrying the baggage of a previous crash is worse since it gives you something to prove. I would try to break it down into elements if you can. I was lucky in that I drove a car for years and rode bicycles on the road. A motor cycle is about putting control and balance together with road craft.
If you can spend some time on a bike that's cool. If you can get to a disused industrial area at the weekend that would be good to. Ultimately, go retake the CBT with your new knowledge. CBTs should really include a pass guarantee with a free retake. Who needs all that pressure.

Good luck. We've all been through it and we were all sh!t once.
If there isn't enough lubricant, you must be doing it wrong.

Beansie
Bike(s): Yamaha Tracer 900 Honda Grom
Has Liked: 249 times
Been Liked: 86 times

#22 Post by Beansie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 pm

My girlfriend had a similar experience last year, so we got her a bike to practice on and I took her out every weekend to practice on my works car park. She soon got the hang of it with me teaching her because I have a lot more patience than most people and obviously I understand her mentally. She’s dyslexic and dyspraxic so talking to her just goes in one ear and out the other but physically showing her what to do she picked it up straight away! The most important thing was changing her training school when it come back to doing the cbt again so we went somewhere else recommended by a friend and they were amazing, she had a great day came away with her certificate and fell in love with riding a bike 👌
Listen to your old man he will look after you there’s no doubt about that and try and find yourself another school to do your cbt next time 👍

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER6F
Challenge Score: 30
Has Liked: 416 times
Been Liked: 676 times

#23 Post by SometimesSansEngine » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 pm

I wasn't far into your post @Dougie and was thinking "man that is one bad instructor".

I struggled with a few things on my CBT, at a set of temporary traffic lights I still something like 5 times in a row, missing two green phases :lol: Cars were going around me, and of course every time you do it you get a touch more flustered. My instructor had stopped at the other side of the roadworks and was just chuckling at me whilst reminding me what I needed to do and telling me not to panic.

Then later on the road ride I stalled it another few times and killed the battery, turns out the heated grips had been turned on on my bike (up until that point I just thought I'd bought really warm gloves :mrgreen: ) and my poor instructor had to bump start the bike, running along with it then jumping on to push start the engine.

"Right, I'm knackered now, so try not to stall again"

Five minutes later whilst attempting the hill start....

He called me a name and got running again....

My point in telling you all this is:

1) CBT is a LOT to take in, don't sweat it. Keep at it because it'll be second nature soon enough
2) the job of the instructor is to HELP you, not yell at you. If he didn't think you were safe to be on the road HE should not have let you head out. This is all on him, NOT you

Here's one of the lines on the website of the bike school I did my CBT and A licence training with:

"The Road Ride is the final part of the days training putting everything you have learnt from the mornings exercises into practice. You will be out on the road ride for a minimum of 2 hours with an instructor where we can cover up to 40 miles on the day on open roads and in the town so your safety is paramount. (The road ride is only open to the students that have been able to complete all of the mornings training successfully, thus demonstrating that they will be safe on the road, but don’t worry there is no pass or fail so if our instructor thinks you need a further days training, we will not charge you again for this extra day -Remember it’s about our student, your son, your daughter, your husband or your wife’s safety)"

...and I know the guys at the school live by the ethos they have written there. All bike schools should IMO.

Keep at it :thumb:

Magpie84
Has Liked: 91 times
Been Liked: 135 times

#24 Post by Magpie84 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi Dougie

I suffer with anxiety and managed to nearly put the bike into a fence during my CBT, had a melt down but tried to continue but I couldn't. Thankfully my instructor was brilliant and told me to come back another day to try again which I did and the second time was fine. My nerves also got the better of me during my mod 1 so I'm instructor has arranged to let me practice on the actual test area to hopefully see if that helps.

Hopefully with the help of your dad your second CBT will be more successful. I agree with others you need a different instructor or school as being spoken to like that wouldn't have helped anyone and especially if you're getting flustered.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)
I'm not easily distrac.... Oooo look a shiny bike!

si_owen005
Bike(s): CBR 600 F2 1991, Triumph Street Triple R ABS 2015
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 6 times

#25 Post by si_owen005 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 am

Hi mate,

Just like many others have said, go away and practice on your 125 for a bit.

Focus on smooth clutch and throttle control. Learn how to find the bite point and just learn how the bike reacts to different levels of clutch and throttle.

Some other tips that I can offer are as follows -
1.) Grip the bike with your thighs/knees. It will feel a lot more stable.

2.) The back brake is your friend during slow speed manoeuvres.

3.) Don’t ever rush for anyone. Always ride for yourself. If you stall the bike then don’t worry about it. Just make sure you’re doing everything in a safe manner. Don’t ever let anybody else influence your ride.

Good luck for your future riding.

Box Of Frogs
Bike(s): V-Strom DL1000
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 13 times

#26 Post by Box Of Frogs » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi

I Really struggled on my cbt, hadnt ridden before, was in no way ready for the road ride, I was terrified! Im not the type to terrifyeasy normally hehe, completely stressed out, hated it and nearly rammed the instructor twice during the road ride and I just couldnt turn off that indicator, I hadnt mastered the gears or clutch or even brakes, I was very surprised how quickly we moved from one activity to the next when I was clearly not ready, he was very grumpy and made me feel like an idiot.

This was mid December and I passed Mod1 & mod2 on Wednesday, under one month later so dont think you cant do this, once you are given time to get to grips with the basics you will be fine!

Best of luck