4 stroke engine oil light stays on?

Kent Hartley

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and hoping for a little assistance with the following issue on my new motorcycle.

I have a Yamasaki YM 50 RE 4 stroke 50 cc.

I bought it new at first registration for March 2020 to commute to and from work 14 miles per day.

It’s fine for what I need and cheap commuting.

However, I had the first service at 300 miles all good there. It’s done only 660 miles now from new. I look after it and keep everything checked weekly and all the fluid levels too etc.

Yesterday the engine oil warning light came on whilst on my way to work and has remained on solid. No flashing just came on. When I got to work I checked the oil dip stick whilst the engine was still warm and the oil level on the dip stick was just under its max.

I bought the correct grade and spec oil and put in a very small amount just to be sure. I checked the oil level and it was still on the max line. However, the oil light still remained on and I don’t know what else I’m missing to check?

The engine sounds as normal, no smoke or anything irregular so can anyone with experience or knowledge of such issues help?

I appreciate any constructive assistance you can offer?

Kind regards to you all.

Kent

Edited by Kent Hartley

Hi Welcome

I agree with the above don't ride it call the dealer and get them to collect it from you. The Oil warning light is most probably triggered by low oil pressure, running an engine with low pressure knackers it fast.

Guest Richzx6r

Agreed with all of the above, it could be a dodgy pressure switch which wouldn't be much of a problem but at the other end of the spectrum it could be a nice lump of shite blocking an oil channel which is starving an area of the engine of oil.

I would get on the blower to them and tell them about it and tell them you want it recovered by them and sorted under warranty

Rich

Update!

I found on line that you have to press a button ( bottom of LCD display panel) to clear the light by holding it down for 3 seconds for it to go out!

I checked the oil level again today and it needed a small amount of oil that took the level up to the max from being 3/4 on the dip stick. Not much, but after topping up and clearing the oil level warning indicator light I ran the engine on idle to wait and see if the oil light came on again once the engine was warmed up after a couple of minutes.

The engine sounds quiet and smooth and no unusual sounds, knocking or anything alarming? I revved it gently to 5,000 rpm a few times and the oil light has not come back on. I let the engine cool off and waited several minutes after and checked the oil level again and it was clean and golden with no evidence of swarf or any presence of anything other than clean oil and it was on the max level.

So, I’m thinking that the oil level when the oil level warning light came on was at 3/4 full in the dip stick. Then, once I topped it up to the max mark the oil light needed to be reset for it to go out but I didn’t know you had to do this which I have now done.

Does this make sense and sound right what has happened etc?

Guest Richzx6r

It could be the right thing to do but I'd give the garage a call just as due course to let them know more than anything about what you are experiencing as they may want to see the bike themselves to satisfy that everything is ok but if it has gone out and there's no abnormal noises or anything you may have dodged the proverbial bullet

Skins line you have done the right thing and no harm done as such.

I would be taking back to dealer at earliest opportunity, to find out why a 3 month old bike is using oil....

I have the bike booked in at my local repairer for inspection. The dealer unfortunately where I bought it new is in Milton Keynes and I had it courier delivered from them as I’m 2-3 hr away.

I spoke to the dealer and they told me I would have to get it there at my expense due to my location or take it to a local repairer and they can liaise with the warranty company for any works that may need to be carried out.

So, watch this space.

Thank you to everyone who has supported my issues which has been really helpful! 😁👍

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 07/06/2020 at 23:41, Kent Hartley said:

Update!

I found on line that you have to press a button ( bottom of LCD display panel) to clear the light by holding it down for 3 seconds for it to go out!

I checked the oil level again today and it needed a small amount of oil that took the level up to the max from being 3/4 on the dip stick. Not much, but after topping up and clearing the oil level warning indicator light I ran the engine on idle to wait and see if the oil light came on again once the engine was warmed up after a couple of minutes.

The engine sounds quiet and smooth and no unusual sounds, knocking or anything alarming? I revved it gently to 5,000 rpm a few times and the oil light has not come back on. I let the engine cool off and waited several minutes after and checked the oil level again and it was clean and golden with no evidence of swarf or any presence of anything other than clean oil and it was on the max level.

So, I’m thinking that the oil level when the oil level warning light came on was at 3/4 full in the dip stick. Then, once I topped it up to the max mark the oil light needed to be reset for it to go out but I didn’t know you had to do this which I have now done.

Does this make sense and sound right what has happened etc?

Which button did you press I have the same issue