blocked carbs

kevxjr

Hi All

Ive left my XJR full of fuel and its been sitting in the garage since 2012, now as you can imagine the carbs are coated with the residual oil from the petrol. so my question is what would be the best way to clean them?

Cheers

Now for daft questions, have you tried a small drop off fresh fuel draining carb drains till you see fresh fuel and giving it a go?

Fuel is funny thing I have a tank for my outboard made of plastic 2 days in sun is dodgy. A month in garage and it's fine.

Metal fuel tank you might get away with it.

Depending on a 1000 factors you might get lucky...

Certainly some fresh fuel through hoses isn't going to do any harm.

If that don't work next choice to me with carbs in that condition would be take them off and get them in sonic bath. A Proper clean.

Replacing fuel hoses filters etc as well

If not you could spend hours getting it almost right...

Guest Swagman

I had an XJR 1200 A couple of years back it had been stood for a lot of time only had 8000 miles on it, it started fine and ticked over great in the shop but when I went to pick it up it ran like a bag of shyte, had to have a complete carb strip and ultra sonic clean but hopefully you may get lucky.

May I recommend a product made for power boat engines that makes normal carb cleaner look like gnat's wee.

Quicksilver Powertune is sold by boat chandler's or online. It will dissolve solidified residues that ordinary carb cleaner just runs away from calling for its mummy.

Every carb I've got that has been left to gum up has come up clean using this stuff. Other marine engine firms do similar products. I think my current can is from Johnson's.

It's not cheap but it's good.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks All

Iv'e tried the fresh fuel, the carb cleaner and the elbow grease but hasn't worked, so it looks like a total strip down and try the Quicksilver route

thanks again and safe riding