Lexmoto FMX 125 - trouble starting

Dwillink

Hi TMBF,

Thanks for your help with this.

We have a lexmoto fmx 125 that is having some real issues starting.

First the starter button stopped working, but we could still kick start. Now the kick start has stopped as well.

I think it's battery related but not sure. When we press the auto start we get a kind of humming / buzzing sound - read somewhere that is a sign of battery problems.

Could it be anything else?

Thanks,

Durian

Hello and Welcome :D

kick start should work even with a flat battery

That's true on AC CDI. It should start with a flat battery since with AC CDI the CDI gets it's power from a coil in the stator so when you kick the engine over the coil generates the power to the CDI. But I think on DC CDI the power for the CDI comes from the battery so in that case I think you need a charged battery to power the CDI.

We're not sure if he has AC CDI or DC CDI so as an experiement I'd charged the battery and try to start the bike. If it starts with a charged battery it must have DC CDI. If it starts measure the voltage across the battery with a multimeter. It should be around 13V at idle and rise to around 15V as you rev the engine but not go higher than 15V. If the voltage stays around 12V or lower the charging system isn't working. You will have to diagnose why or the battery will go flat again and the bike won't start.