NEW MEMBER ADVICE PLEASE.

detainer

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a virago to do some touring on but dont know which size to go for.

I'd like to be able to ride up the motorways at 70 to 80 mph WITHOUT straining the engine etc.

and be able to enjoy the interesting bits when the motorways ended.

Is the 535 for example able to do this? Im assuming that the weight of the bike increases with the engine size of course

I dont know much about Virago's except that I do like the style and the idea of riding a big ( ish ? ) V Twin

and that there are a few different sized engines 535, 750, 1100 etc so Im asking anyone with more knowledge than me

what they would recommend.

I've had a Honda Transalp , among others ,some years ago and did like the V Twin motor but found the highish seat a bit difficult to cope with if i had to put my feet down when stopped etc.

My only other concern is the riding position and I would ask if the foot rests,foot brake lever and gear change

can be repositioned to a more normal riding position somehow ? Im not very tall and feel that would make a better ride for me.

If these are stupid questions then I can only ask for readers forgiveness.

MANY thanks in advance for any replies

From what I can see the footrests etc seem to be positioned forward of whats usual.

Id like to be able to bring them backwards a little if thats practical to do.

On the other hand im probably mistaken as usual.

Guest Richzx6r

From riding experience the 535 was very gutless feeling more like a 125cc that a bigger bike if it was me I'd go for the 1100 if it is a virago that you're after

From riding experience the 535 was very gutless feeling more like a 125cc that a bigger bike if it was me I'd go for the 1100 if it is a virago that you're after

I had one for a short time it worked much better if you allowed it to rev. It may be a V twin but it liked to rev a bit. It would maintain 70 two up but not in 5th you could throw it around on the twisty bit but you needed to work it. The controls are forward but not as much as say a Harley or the Triumph cruisers.

I bought a little virago 250 in 1995 just passed my test, didn't set the world on fire but was super reliable and great quality. No issues even in the winter if well maintained. I believe the 250 engine is being recarnated in the lexmoto vendetta.

I'd imagine you would need the 750 at least for longer tours but as said need to try for yourself and maybe get advice from some virago clubs or forums