Itchy feet...

MarkW

Since my first European bike trip to a conference in Basel last October I’ve taken every opportunity to ride abroad instead of fly, and have racked up about 8,000 miles on the continent. I’m going back to Basel this October, but rather than just do the same thing again my mind is turning to other ideas.

I still have my old 600 in the garage, which has been waiting for a suitable part-ex opportunity to present itself. I’m considering something along the lines of a second hand Triumph Tiger Explorer, to which I’ll strap a tent and a travelling fly rod. I have a friend in Hungary who lives in the middle of nowhere (and who also happens to be one of the world’s top fly-casting instructors) and another in the far-flung recesses of Denmark, neither of whom I have seen for ages. It’s a mere 2,000 mile detour to see them both, taking in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Denmark, none of which I’ve ever ridden through and a couple I’ve never visited.

There should also be plenty of fabulous opportunities to cast a line on the way, some of which will be at spots off the beaten track. But whilst camping and outdoor stuff are second nature to me the only off-road biking I’ve done was up the gravel driveway of a mates house. I reckon a few sessions with the local off-road training school should take care of that.

This is still all very early stage, but if anyone wants to chip in with advice or comments I’m always keen to hear them!

• 2 weeks later...

So, the plan is slowly coming together. I have upgraded my tent to a more easily transportable model, upgraded my old stove to one that can run on unleaded, and bought a 6-piece travelling fly rod. All I need now is a decent mat to go under my sleeping bag, and an easily transportable chair. Suggestions on either most welcome!

I don't have time to look into another bike yet, so the trusty old ZZR is being pressed into service as an all-terrain multi-purpose attack vehicle. In practice this means my trips in the foreseeable future are going to be restricted to people and places at the end of paved roads: the more adventurous stuff will have to wait. Still, the prospect of camping and fishing my way to far-flung European conferences is far more enticing than staying in sterile hotels with nothing to do!

Love your attitude although i have recently decided that B & B is the way to go rather than tenting, i getting a tad old for the tent, prefer me shower to be hot and running after a day in the saddle, If you do intend to do too much off road then the sprint or bandit come with panniers and are prob more available on the second hand market, 1 up you have lots of more room for big stuff on the pillion seat all you got to do is make sure its well wrapped and waterproof.

• 3 weeks later...

The plans continue to move along...

Does anyone have any views on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 4V? I have the chance to pick one up at a great price, and everything I've read about it so far looks good. I'm not planning to circumnavigate the globe on it (well, not yet) but it will be getting a bit of light off-road use on my camping/fishing expeditions.