Highlands in March... (camping)

Guest Phil Young

This is on my to do list hopefully this summer if we get one?

http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/route ... s-one-day/

Then again if it gets warm we'll get bit to death by the swarms of mossy's so better it stayed somewhat cool, it's not a perfect world!!

Scotland under canvas (or some nylon type stuff ) is a must do.

Get up into the highlands and then slowdown a bit. Wild camp find a quite spot with a great view. Put a brew on and sit back and smile.

I did it last year and loved it, seriously considering doing it again.

Here's a thought - guessing you're bringing a camera? Unless it's one of the fully sealed tough compacts, bring a ziplock bag with a pack or two of silica gel in it, in case you get soaked and need to dry it properly. Or bring a film camera!

Here's a thought - guessing you're bringing a camera? Unless it's one of the fully sealed tough compacts, bring a ziplock bag with a pack or two of silica gel in it, in case you get soaked and need to dry it properly. Or bring a film camera!

Nope... Just my phone :)

This is on my to do list hopefully this summer if we get one?

http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/route ... s-one-day/

Then again if it gets warm we'll get bit to death by the swarms of mossy's so better it stayed somewhat cool, it's not a perfect world!!

Done those roads, not in one go, in a car and they are breathtaking.

• 1 month later...

I have wanted to do the round trip of the coast of Scotland for a long time but could not find anyone interested. It is very much on my to do list though not in March. End of May into June is the best time usually though with Scotland you take what you get. No midges in march.

If you are sleeping on anything inflatable take a blanket and one of those silver safety wraps as the air in the mattress will draw heat from your body. A good set of thermals is a good idea too.

camping is good but take money for B&B as pitching in the rain after a wet ride is no fun and gear does not get dry in a tent. Also check the sites as a lot wont open in march,

I am an older biker and ride a Deauville which I am more than happy with. If anyone out there is interested in the 2000 mile trip plus side trips please get in touch as you need a few bikes going for safety, emergencies and to spread some of the gear between you. Parts of Scotland really are a beautiful wilderness and other parts have good places to visit. They are called distilleries.

If anyone out there is seriously interested in such a trip over a period of two weekends and the five days in between please get in touch as it could be the start of a great trip.

If you are sleeping on anything inflatable take a blanket and one of those silver safety wraps as the air in the mattress will draw heat from your body.

I find a self inflating mattress is nice and toasty.