Highlands in March... (camping)

Guest Phil Young

I went camping in Essex in March two years ago and nearly froze! So cold that I could barely sleep, despite being curled up in a ball, fully dressed, in my sleeping back, on a ground mat, with my bike jacket as an extra blanket. If you're dead set on doing it, bring a sleeping bag that's rated for some damn low temperatures.

A good sleeping bag is worth its weight in gold when camping.. I got a decent one at go outdoors a while back, rated down to -20. comfortably at -6 as well. Downside is during summer it sucks :D

As others have said, invest in a good sleeping bag. Also warm a warm hat and possibly socks.

Where about are you going? The highlands is a big area, with some massive differences in sea level.

Generally, if you are staying within smaller glens then expect it to be damp morning and night, even if it is dry during the day. Waterproofs are your best friend. The bigger Glens and valleys you might get luck and temperatures will be slightly warmer. If it is not already raining then good change of not waking up to everything wet.

In March the days really do start to get longer so as long as the weather is not horrible, you will probably see some sun! This winter has been rather mild to be honest, so unless we have an unexpected freeze, temperatures will be around 6-12 degrees during the day I reckon, if not more.

Did it afew years back with a caravan in the spring, most nights we where glad of the heater...

You could get lucky or unlucky... That time of year I would plan 2 or 3 trips North South East and West...

We had planned on Switzerland or South of France for our trip but the weather was such it best to go north and we where VERY pleased about that...

Ok folks thanks, so best advice is the sleeping bag! I think mine really isn't up to possible sub zero nights so I'll get a couple of decent -15° ones. Been reading a few other tips on winter camping and everything is apparently about keeping warm, like not putting your head inside the bag as condensation will make you cold... Never new that before - that'll be the reason I was cold and wet last camping trip then!!

I'm sure the question on all of our lips really must be...

Which bike are you going on?

My money is on the YBR.

Of course it's on the YBR! :wink:

Been reading a few other tips on winter camping and everything is apparently about keeping warm, like not putting your head inside the bag as condensation will make you cold... Never new that before - that'll be the reason I was cold and wet last camping trip then!!

That's why you need a hat (or hood if you want to sleep in a hoodie). Another good pointer is regarding your tent size. If you are in a big tent on your own it is much harder to stay warm. One your own = take a small tent.

Been reading a few other tips on winter camping and everything is apparently about keeping warm, like not putting your head inside the bag as condensation will make you cold... Never new that before - that'll be the reason I was cold and wet last camping trip then!!

That's why you need a hat (or hood if you want to sleep in a hoodie). Another good pointer is regarding your tent size. If you are in a big tent on your own it is much harder to stay warm. One your own = take a small tent.

Ah excellent advice... Smallest tent size I can get away with for warmth...

Stu - part of the charm for me is visiting the highlands when it is still cold and there's snow on most of the mountains etc... That's what I always imagined the highlands to be like and want to go see it now! :)

Hi, Scotland can be awesome anytime of the year, tool up for the worst it can only get better "you hope" Having worked on a drill site in the Orkneys during the winter l can tell you the weather can change dramatically in a heart beat. A good low profile tent with extra pegs guy ropes - storm straps is a must, plus a good thermal break between your sleeping bag and terra firma. The biggest issue with Scotland got to be the wind and rain a nightmare on a bike, and if there's any chance of snow l would defiantly give it a miss.

Anyone done it? What can I expect?

Looking to go there at the end of March for 5-6 days or so.

Best take the knobblies then... :lol:

Cheers Chris - I think I've seen it online as well about extra pegs to get it clamped down.