Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

Not bike related? Talk about it here!
Message
Author
User avatar
geofferz
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Location: West Sussex, UK
Has Liked: 372 times
Been Liked: 355 times

Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#1 Post by geofferz » Tue May 15, 2018 8:32 pm

This was an ironic gift from a friend, I didn't buy it myself...
20180515_184853.jpg
I was overtaking this morning and my bike suddenly turned off I was like wtf! The fob got caught in the cables in the yolk and turned the key and engine off. Seriously - it could've locked the steering lock and I'd have been in a whole load of trouble. I was okay though. Be warned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

User avatar
Bender
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has Liked: 167 times
Been Liked: 509 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#2 Post by Bender » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm

So it should read CCRRRAAAAAAAAP
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

User avatar
Mickly
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Location: Coventry
Challenge Score: 450
Has Liked: 59 times
Been Liked: 156 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#3 Post by Mickly » Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm

I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
10/10 Pubs
10/10 SW
10/10 Midlands

User avatar
geofferz
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Location: West Sussex, UK
Has Liked: 372 times
Been Liked: 355 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#4 Post by geofferz » Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Bender wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm
So it should read CCRRRAAAAAAAAP
:wink:

Like I say it was a gift and I like it. Its also the exact noise my bike makes.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

User avatar
geofferz
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Location: West Sussex, UK
Has Liked: 372 times
Been Liked: 355 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#5 Post by geofferz » Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
This is fabric and so doesn't scratch the yoke. It's big, so you can easily find your bike key. It does work.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 31643
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300
Location: hull
Has Liked: 2279 times
Been Liked: 1886 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#6 Post by Stu » Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm

geofferz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm
Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
It does work.
Except it stops the bike working :lol:

I have used fobs before with no issues maybe you was unlucky that day! probably a million to one chance of it happening again but are you prepared to take that risk! it will always be in the back of your mind now :?
Don't steal!.... the government hates competition!!!

User avatar
geofferz
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Location: West Sussex, UK
Has Liked: 372 times
Been Liked: 355 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#7 Post by geofferz » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Stu wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm
geofferz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm
Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
It does work.
Except it stops the bike working :lol:

I have used fobs before with no issues maybe you was unlucky that day! probably a million to one chance of it happening again but are you prepared to take that risk! it will always be in the back of your mind now :?
Oh I'm sure. But I can see how it would relatively easily happen again. Scary stuff!
Spanker of cyclists' arses

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 31643
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300
Location: hull
Has Liked: 2279 times
Been Liked: 1886 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#8 Post by Stu » Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 pm

geofferz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm
Stu wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm
geofferz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm


It does work.
Except it stops the bike working :lol:

I have used fobs before with no issues maybe you was unlucky that day! probably a million to one chance of it happening again but are you prepared to take that risk! it will always be in the back of your mind now :?
Oh I'm sure. But I can see how it would relatively easily happen again. Scary stuff!
I used to have a steering damper which mounted across the top yolk and my alarm key fob would get caught up with it and wouldn't allow me to turn :shock:
Don't steal!.... the government hates competition!!!

goody
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): honda vtr firestorm
Location: northwich cheshire
Has Liked: 189 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#9 Post by goody » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
if you are racing or doing lots of track days I get it but other than that why have your chin on the tank....as for keyfobs I use a rubber wristband, I hate having loose keys I seem to always loose them
Sometimes you find your self in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself

User avatar
Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Location: Manchester
Has Liked: 497 times
Been Liked: 1060 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#10 Post by Westbeef » Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
I wouldn't randomly take my bike key to a pub if I hadn't rode it there :scratch:
Image

TimR
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:48 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Didcot
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 356 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#11 Post by TimR » Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Westbeef wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm
Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
I wouldn't randomly take my bike key to a pub if I hadn't rode it there :scratch:
But your not adverse to slapping it down on the bar then
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

User avatar
Mickly
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Location: Coventry
Challenge Score: 450
Has Liked: 59 times
Been Liked: 156 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#12 Post by Mickly » Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 pm

goody wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm
Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
if you are racing or doing lots of track days I get it but other than that why have your chin on the tank....as for keyfobs I use a rubber wristband, I hate having loose keys I seem to always loose them
It’s a naked bike and I am a bit of a unit, so at some speeds I act as a sail and the front end gets light ( not great at some speeds )
So I shove my arse back and put my head down - although whether I could bend low enough to get it on the tank these days is debatable - I’ll let you know next time I am on a track ‘ahem’
10/10 Pubs
10/10 SW
10/10 Midlands

User avatar
Mickly
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Location: Coventry
Challenge Score: 450
Has Liked: 59 times
Been Liked: 156 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#13 Post by Mickly » Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Westbeef wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm
Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
I wouldn't randomly take my bike key to a pub if I hadn't rode it there :scratch:
You would be surprised at what some people do, albeit with car keys mostly - knew a guy with a Vauxhall Nova who had a Ferrari key ring, even when not driving he used to pull it ( the key ring - stop giggling at the back !!) out and place it on the bar when getting his wallet out, we used to rip him mercilessly but he just didn’t care.
I mean any girl stupid enough to be impressed would be woefully disappointed when they saw his baby shite yellow Nova.
10/10 Pubs
10/10 SW
10/10 Midlands

User avatar
geofferz
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Location: West Sussex, UK
Has Liked: 372 times
Been Liked: 355 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#14 Post by geofferz » Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Mickly wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm
Westbeef wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm
Mickly wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I do not have a key fob at all.
They scratch the top yolk and the writing around the key slot.
They are also distracting at speed when you have your chin on the tank.
This is another reason not to have one.

Anyone know any benefit apart from dropping it on the bar to show everyone what you’re not riding coz you’re drinking?

Mickly
I wouldn't randomly take my bike key to a pub if I hadn't rode it there :scratch:
You would be surprised at what some people do, albeit with car keys mostly - knew a guy with a Vauxhall Nova who had a Ferrari key ring, even when not driving he used to pull it ( the key ring - stop giggling at the back !!) out and place it on the bar when getting his wallet out, we used to rip him mercilessly but he just didn’t care.
I mean any girl stupid enough to be impressed would be woefully disappointed when they saw his baby shite yellow Nova.
Don't diss novas - they're classics.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

User avatar
Mickly
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Location: Coventry
Challenge Score: 450
Has Liked: 59 times
Been Liked: 156 times

Re: Warning! These keyfobs are dangerous!

#15 Post by Mickly » Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 pm

geofferz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 pm
Mickly wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm
Westbeef wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm


I wouldn't randomly take my bike key to a pub if I hadn't rode it there :scratch:
You would be surprised at what some people do, albeit with car keys mostly - knew a guy with a Vauxhall Nova who had a Ferrari key ring, even when not driving he used to pull it ( the key ring - stop giggling at the back !!) out and place it on the bar when getting his wallet out, we used to rip him mercilessly but he just didn’t care.
I mean any girl stupid enough to be impressed would be woefully disappointed when they saw his baby shite yellow Nova.
Don't diss novas - they're classics.
Not when he had one !!
10/10 Pubs
10/10 SW
10/10 Midlands