Advice needed for possible speeding in car

leener

Hopefully some of you will be able to help with some advice.

A bit of a back story:

I posted up about the Renault work that I did to get the car running, which was around early April.

I picked the car up for about £300 as a cheap running non-runner on part that the starter was knackered, with a long MOT, from a shifty looking Irish bloke. He handed over the new keeper supplement from the V5, wrote a receipt on an envelope, and he drove the car back to where I keep them.

A few days later I tried to register it to me using the DVLA online system, only to find that the document reference was invalid. So I posted the new keeper slip and got a letter back from the DVLA saying that the car was already registered to somebody else using that document reference number.

Then I found an old slip from 2017 that showed it was sold to a motor trader (A E Wilcox), who I made contact with. I asked them to give me info on who has the car and they said that they can't help because the customer is deceased???

So I obtained a V62 form with the intent to send it off asap, but everything got put on hold because little one was born and everything else taking over. I left it with mother-in-law because I don't have a cheque book, but she forgot to send it, and I forgot all about it.

I got it running and drove 60-odd miles at the end of April to Pencoed to buy this ZZR600, which I'm using daily.

The car has pretty much not moved since and I use the bike instead.

Fast forward on to a month ago, the cam belt tensioner came loose and it jumped teeth right out side of the house on the way back from the gym. So had a top end rebuild to do on it, which I did last week.

Getting on with life, everything is fine, then yesterday get a letter from south wales police saying that they see that I am insured on the car since April, so tell us who you brought the car from and when. I'm trying to rack my brain and work out why they want this information, when I find out that mother-in-law hasn't even sent the V62.

I checked the database online to see if it has a stolen PNC record, which it does not.

So, I ring the number on the letter and an automated voice tells me, "Welcome to the safety camera line", and in Welsh.

The plot thickens!

So, that one journey to Wales to get the ZZR, I don't remember seeing any speed cameras at all, and as far as I remember I drove within the speed limits, and carefully as I do with my 15 years experience.

Nobody answered the phone so I hung up and now not sure how to approach this. It was so long ago that I have no clear recollection of the day and I have been given ten days as of the date of the letter to respond.

Thing is, it was so long ago and I had no idea if I had exceeded the speed limit.

I'll just be incriminating myself and getting in more trouble for not registering the car in good time, even though it's mostly been sat on the drive in bits.

Perhaps someone cloned the plate.

That is possible. But, if there is proof beyond reasonable doubt that the vehicle was in excess of the speed limit on the day and on the route that I took (I have google location history to prove) then I am never driving anywhere unfamiliar ever again.

I am the 1% who actually use the left lane on the motorway, do "life savers", had advanced driver training, and do everything legal and by-the-book, so this would just p*ss me off royally.

Simply ask why they want to know. If you were caught speeding they need to inform you of the alleged offence within 30 days as far as I am aware.

This bit

Getting on with life, everything is fine, then yesterday get a letter from south wales police saying that they see that I am insured on the car since April, so tell us who you brought the car from and when

is odd. I can't imagine that this is about a speeding offence.

It just worries me that they are so keen on tracing this information, and when I phoned it went through to the "safety" camera team, and the letter came from the evidence department. So they're obviously getting information together for a case. This is it. I'm going down for life. Might go on the run.

I'll just be honest and tell them everything I know and explain about the reason it wasn't registered to me.

Or do nothing. ‘Do nothing for long enough and something will happen”

Can’t remember who said that but they were saying everything resolves itself in the end.

I’d carry on with the cars registration ASAP and see what happens. The letter probably has a time limit for response if not then just pick up where you left off.

Naughty Ma in law!

Simply ask why they want to know. If you were caught speeding they need to inform you of the alleged offence within 30 days as far as I am aware.

You're referring to a notice of intended prosecution which is to be served within 14 days however this can be extended where circumstances have made it impossible to do so (like the driver deliberately evading).

An NIP cannot be served until the identity of the driver is known, usually though a s172 requirement to the keeper.

I suspect what the OP has received may be a S172 requirement to identify the driver. If that's the case don't just ignore it, to do so is an offence in itself. A s172 requirement can be made to persons other than the keeper before anyone suggests that the fact they've traced via insurance is a potential get out.

As above - get in contact and ask to see the photo.

If it's not a s172 requirement I doubt there's any harm in ignoring it though you may get a visit in person and it may be possible they're asking for a reason other than speeding. If it's not a requirement then there's not much obligation to provide any information.

Is the offence date from before or after you bought it?

The letter only comes from the "Safety Camera" office, has a Notice Number in the header so likely related to a speeding offense, but the body of the letter roughly says:

We are writing to you because you insured this vehicle as of X-Date in April, please be of assistance to us with our enquiries and tell us who you brought the vehicle from, what's their address, and what date. Please reply by 31st July in the pre-paid envelope.

Nothing else.

It sounds very polite at the moment. If I ignore it then I imagine that it gets worse for me.

The vehicle was in Wales only once and there must have been a camera in hiding somewhere, because I am always vigilant about my speed, and especially so if I see a speed camera.

It's possible the date of the offence was before you bought/insured it in that case and there was possibly no keeper listed prior to that on PNC and they're looking for your help to identify the previous keeper.

Like I said there's no reason you HAVE to respond unless it's a s172 requirement (certainly doesn't sound like it) but it's your call. You could always ask them why they want to know that information

Ask them for what proof they have on the offence ..

If they are just asking you who owned the car before you help them ...

Get the form off asap to get the log book ..

Slap the mother in law ..(you won't regret it)

What is.the date of this offence if any .

Don't bother calling the safety camera ones as they only take payments you cant appeal to them .

If no other info go in to cop shop and.ask them to help .as if you show your trying to sort this out it will go in your favour ..

Any stuff from the police don't ignore it as it.will come back and bite you ass.

Slap the mother in law again .

Where in Wales did you go find the route and the info from the photo will say excaley where it was check if you went this way if you didn't tell the cops in person show them and they will help you ..as if they got some one who's cloned your car .. is more then a speeding ticket. As its no tax no insurance.. no mot .. and poss no licence . So they will want them off the road .

As I had the very same thing . Some one using my car reg . I even went to court . And got compo off the judge .£50 as in had went in to the cop shop and helped them as they logged my info in to there system it all helped ..

Always take the coppers name and badge number .. ask to chat with a copper by pass the dick in the cops reception as they just civilians who no feck all about the law and have no leagle authority to a magistrate/judge ..

Some times the camera's are very hard to spot, there is a spot on the a1 about 20miles from Edinburgh, it sits on a road leading upto a slip and points at the brow of a hill from nearly a mile away, once you drop down its shrouded by trees.

Best off just sort it out, find out what and where then ask for photo if it is speeding.

Take the letter to your local 'cop shop' and ask to see the duty Officer (not the reception clerk). Ask for advice and answer all questions truthfully. You WILL get assistance and what happens next is dependent on why they want the info.

:cheers: