Campervans

GARYJL

At the risk of sounding really old and boring anyone have a campervan?

Been looking at them on the net and thinkin I wouldnt mind getting a

VW Transporter T4 Camper with the alloy wheels and modern interior.

Theres a few on here with camper vans plus a few with camp bikes.

If you are going to get the use out of it, i would say go for it i think they are great.

I used to have a VW type 25, brill bit of kit. we now have a bit of a bigger campervan though.

We get loads of use out of ours, take it to race weekends and stuff its great.

• 8 years later...

I have an ex AA van, a 1998 T4 with the 2.5 TDi engine.

It's at the very early stages of being converted - we've emptied the back out and had to have some serious rust issues looked at. But we've lowered it a touch and put alloys on, and it will soon be re-painted (DIY job with a roller and brush) and then insulated and boarded out.

I love driving it. It's the size of a big car - even qualifies as such on the ferries - and has reasonable power that it isn't frustratingly slow. The T5 vans are supposedly more like a car to drive, but the build quality is allegedly not as good and they are more expensive.

The VW community is amazing. Loads of groups to offer advice, and tons of aftermarket bits and suppliers. Even people who have set up their own little businesses making cup holders and gear knobs. You can pretty much get whatever you need and it doesn't have to cost the Earth.

My advice would be to choose your van wisely - we ended up with engine troubles and rust which have delayed and almost killed the project. But, regardless of the cost, I love it so much I can't help myself from spending more.

We've been seriously looking into this recently.

We began along the lines of a t5. Quickly discovered it would be nowhere near big enough (even with the pop. top)

Ideally now thinking a bigger motorhome type affair.

There's 4 of us plus in reality but it still needs to be somewhat practical.

We can't run 2 cars 1 bike and a motorhome.

Proper different world

If you need it to be a practical vehicle all you can do is buy a panel van conversion like the Boxer or transit (T5s are stupid money) and put an awning on the side to sleep everybody. Or put a tent up too?

If you need it to be a practical vehicle all you can do is buy a panel van conversion like the Boxer or transit (T5s are stupid money) and put an awning on the side to sleep everybody. Or put a tent up too?

Aye been looking into the converted lwb boxers etc.

To be honest our biggest problem is we hire one for Silverstone so have been spoilt....lol

Trying to move away from tents :crybaby:

We did have a really good family tent. 6 berth etc dogs bollox. Ran it's course now binned.

Turned up to rally in a 20 quid Tesco special. It leaked...

This is the only sort of camper van I'd consider:

Car-and-Campervan.jpg

Except I'd put a couple of bikes in place of the car.

Sadly its the wrong vehicle in the back :lol:

Easily swapped for a couple of motorcycles :D

• 2 weeks later...

I love my van! I've been all over the place in it - and it isn't much bigger than a car. I do have to compromise on space a bit but can just about stand up :mrgreen: , wouldn't want to share with anyone though :lol:

IMG_3103.thumb.jpg.1efc42c33e435b5c5d05a6ef76a9037f.jpg

IMG_2832.thumb.jpg.4bfd17fe95abe9a896ea5aaf65462e50.jpg

IMG_2709.thumb.jpg.06c71b36426476432128142cb858380b.jpg