pains when you drink alcohol?

Guest petrolhead1989

Hi peoplesss. :D

Random question..

Why would i get tummy cramps everytime i drink alcohol?

It only used to happen when i drank JD, so i stopped drinking it, even though its my favorite drink in the world :D

But now, its with anything that contains alcohol..

Bought myself a bottle of amoretto last week, and had to put it in the cupboard due to tummy cramps when drinking it.

and now tonight, i decided to have a glass of my partners malibu, with coke. and TADAAA. tummy cramps..

Its not when ive guzzled an entire bottle, i get the same even after small amounts..

I have drunk half a small glass of it, and it isnt all that strong.. and already i got tummy cramps..

and they arent just little niggles in your belly.. they are horrible cramps.. like someone just booted you in the gonads..

every now and then, im slouching over my desk with them!!!

cheers

I have no idea! but it doesn't sound right!

Does it happen with beer/cider/wine too?

Or only "shorts"?

Sue swears that it's the coke used as a mixer that makes her bad! :lol:

Yeah its only spirits that do it mate..

But thinking about it, it cant be the coke thats doing this to me, as i also got the problem a while bank when i had malibu and milk... :roll:

A search of the net, says to be a stomach ulcer, as i drink alot of coke (2-3 big bottles a day, everyday), but surely if i had a stomach ulcer, id feel it alot.. Not ONLY when i drink alcoholic drinks?

cheers

ive been addicted to coke (the fizzy drink) for a couple of years now, and before that, was dr pepper.. ive drunk fizzy drinks for aslong as i can remember..

Thinking about it.. was drinking fizzy drinks back before i was with my ex.. so over 6 years.. 6 - 7 years or so now..

and ive been fine.. No stomach pains or anything..

Only when i consume alcohol..

as i drink alot of coke (2-3 big bottles a day, everyday)

cheers

Could it be the coke has done the damage and the alcohol iritates it somehow, I have no idea.

All I know is that needs to stop ASAP.

Defo doesn't sound right. No other drinks cause this like coffee or any foods?

Could be a stomach ulcer or IBS at a hunch.

Also switch to beer. Or put up with the stomach cramps and get this to match your intake of Malibu:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/BrooklynnC/HelloKittyBusa.jpg

:wink: :wink:

Defo doesn't sound right. No other drinks cause this like coffee or any foods?

Could be a stomach ulcer or IBS at a hunch.

Also switch to beer. Or put up with the stomach cramps and get this to match your intake of Malibu:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/BrooklynnC/HelloKittyBusa.jpg

:wink: :wink:

No mate. Nothing else, that ive eaten or drunk, has given me these cramps.. its only alcohol based drinks..

and :lol:

Nothing wrong with a bit of malibu.. the mrs likes it, and i love coconut, and rum :D

you sound like you have the same problem as i do when i drink wine, but i have worked out that i am allergic to grapes in any form :( but it can be crippling stomach cramps for days depending on how much i have eaten/drank.

with it only being the spirits i would say that you have an intolerance to alcohol, if you can drink pints then stick to that or maybe go t-total for a bit, eat stomach friendly food and take up some form of de-stressing activity. then slowly introduce light ales.

or you could be brave, put your manhood aside and visit the doctor.

you sound like you have the same problem as i do when i drink wine, but i have worked out that i am allergic to grapes in any form :( but it can be crippling stomach cramps for days depending on how much i have eaten/drank.

with it only being the spirits i would say that you have an intolerance to alcohol, if you can drink pints then stick to that or maybe go t-total for a bit, eat stomach friendly food and take up some form of de-stressing activity. then slowly introduce light ales.

or you could be brave, put your manhood aside and visit the doctor.

Im not really a big drinker anyway tbh bex.. Sometimes have the odd couple of glasses, but then often go months until i have another.. Never been a big drinker..

De-stressing?? whats that?? :lol: I wouldnt know what relaxing is like :lol:...

but thanks for all your replies so far peoples.. guna get myself to the docs in the next couple days :D

The high Coke intake is likely to have caused an ulcer but this would almost certainly be exacerbated by any kind of fatty foods like fry-ups!

If you don't get the pain after having a fried breakfast then I would agree with the rest and say you have become intolerant to alcohol.

I have developed an intolerance to raw milk. A glass of raw milk gives me the most horrendous stomachs cramps and wind! Cook it in any form, sauces or custard or just heated and allowed to cool can be consumed ok.

Go to the doctor. The worst that happens is that he or she will say ... 'no more Malibu for you sunny-jim, unless you want to feel the wrath'.

Oh, and, do yourself a favour and cut down on the fizzy! You really will have serious stomach problems by the time you get to 30 otherwise!

This is my area (biology and physiology).

All indicators point allergy to alcohol. This is usually most uncomfortable with red wine and whiskey but of course any alcohol can give you reactions.

There's several ingredients that could cause the onset of cramps, it might be worth trying an anti histamine tablet and then have alcohol to see if there's a difference.

You probably aren't allergic to yeast otherwise would notice it with other foods and the amount ingested wouldn't cause me concern of ulcers & liver problems.

Go with the allergy route and see if it gets better with anti histamine :)

Surprised you got a stomach to get cramps... 2 or 3 big bottles of coke a day !!!!

yeahh??? always hear my mother going on at me about how its ruining my stomach lining...

Medical fact... the human stomach re-lines itself every 24 hours... so im fine :D

Surprised you got a stomach to get cramps... 2 or 3 big bottles of coke a day !!!!

yeahh??? always hear my mother going on at me about how its ruining my stomach lining...

Medical fact... the human stomach re-lines itself every 24 hours... so im fine :D

It won't do any damage, phosphoric acid in coca cola is Alkaline to Hydrocholic Acid in the stomach 8-)

Diabetes UK might have something to say though :lol: :lol:

I started with symptoms like this and it was just certain types of booze then certain foods....turned out I have IBS but its not as bad as it seems. Once you figure out (painfully) what you can and cannot eat/drink and exercise a bit it all settles down BUT go to th Docs and get a few tests etc done.

Coke set me off but now I eat right etc I can get away with a glass when I fancy it just not two ;)

By the way, fizzy drinks also knacker your bladder and teeth so, unless you want to be a gummy diabetic with no stomach that goes round pi$$ing himself when you are older then cut down on the coke.

By the way, coke is great at cleaning up metals and rust removal - do you really want to drink that?

Just sayin' :mrgreen:

It may not directly damage your stomach which, as has been pointed out is a fairly inhospitable environment anyway but it can cause reflux etc. That is where the nasty acidic stuff leaks out of the stomach and irritates the surrounding gut - back up into the oesophagus (heartburn) or further on into the duodenum. When people talk of 'stomach' ulcers they are often in these areas although can also be in the stomach.

I get pains after drinking alcohol.....but they only come on after I've fallen over.....so, I've concluded that it's not alcohol I'm allergic to, but hard surfaces.... :wink:

Seriously though, my eldest son has Crohn's disease, and it often flares up after he hasn't eaten healthily or has overdone the alcohol.....so, I think I'd either avoid alcohol or go to the docs and get checked out if I were you.

It won't do any damage, phosphoric acid in coca cola is Alkaline to Hydrocholic Acid in the stomach 8-)

Diabetes UK might have something to say though :lol: :lol:

People say "having too much sugar can cause diabetes"... But you can cause diabetes..

its a malfunction of your pancreas.. It happens naturally.. It cant be caused..

(alot of diabetes in my family)

People say "having too much sugar can cause diabetes"... But you can cause diabetes..

its a malfunction of your pancreas.. It happens naturally.. It cant be caused..

(alot of diabetes in my family)

Actually, we don't KNOW what causes it. There are lots of theories, personally, I believe you will either get it or not. You are right, it is simply a malfunction of the pancreas.

Then why is it called acid?

It is classed as an acid on the PH scale, which categorizes substances to PH neutral. It will be alkaline to anything that is more acidic than it, on the PH scale. As stomach (hydrochloric) acid, which would be diluted to various extents depending on stomach content, is higher than phosphoric acid, it means that phosphoric acid is alkaline to hydrochloric (but still technically an acid).

And I'm not saying coca-cola is good by any means, but if one were to drink it, they would seriously extend the health of their teeth by neutralizing the acid with something like baking soda or milk of magnesium.