Look what ive built

Joeman

The missus wasn't happy last Sunday then Joe?........ :wink: :lol: :lol:

LOL, she calmed down in the end... but yes, this should certainly have bought me some biking time!

Very nice work. Are you building it from a plan or winging it? I have built quite a few of them in the past along with hot tub gazebos, summer houses, sheds, etc but it is my occupation.

Very nice work. Are you building it from a plan or winging it? I have built quite a few of them in the past along with hot tub gazebos, summer houses, sheds, etc but it is my occupation.

Thanks!

Bit of both really. The missus bought a book of playhouse designs which included some crude plans. The plans aren't great and its an american book so all measurements are in feet and inches.

So I've used the plans from the book as a basis and changed all the measurements to metric and scaled the deaign up/down to better fit the lengths of timber I can buy to reduce wastage. For example the rafters are 1.2m long - exaclty half of the 2.4m studwork.

I think in america wood must be a lot cheaper, the book suggests building the whole thing from cedar wood. That would cost a fortune in the uk!

Is that where you are going to have to live for a few days once it's built when you go out on bike with out proper permission from the boss.

Is that where you are going to have to live for a few days once it's built when you go out on bike with out proper permission from the boss.

Ive made it big enough just in case ;)

That's awesome mate. . I'm wanting to build my own bike shed but it still looks like it's gonna cost nearly as much as buying one. . :(

Yes sheds can be bought pretty cheaply, but they dont look like they are built to last.

I reckon you could build a pretty sturdy bike shed for less than 150quid.

What are you using for the roof? If your budget allows I would go for the felt shingles. They look good and have at least a five year warranty. I use 18mm ply covered with thin felt with shingles over which gives a good watertight roof. HTH. :wink:

What are you using for the roof? If your budget allows I would go for the felt shingles. They look good and have at least a five year warranty. I use 18mm ply covered with thin felt with shingles over which gives a good watertight roof. HTH. :wink:

was planning to use 12mm ply as its a bit cheaper than 18mm and those rafters are c16 stud work so pretty sturdy.

been trying to source some wooden shingles but they all seem too expensive at about 40quid per square meter. the felt shingles were the backup option. alternative was to do a proper tiling job with felt underneath but that might be a bit overkill, and full size tiles might look wrong on a small house.

would you be able to suggest any cheap suppliers?

other things i need are small guttering and maybe some ready made shutters to save me making them.

Your daughter is gonna freaking LOVE you!!! Looks like it is gonna be epic - love the little porch area and plant pot under the window! I spent SO much time in my little wooden playhouse as a kid, encouraged me to play in the garden as much as I could, got really into gardening and I still have green fingers :mrgreen: . I had a Playmobile house inside it that I loved to bits, or I'd torture bugs in there with my bug dissection kit (don't ask! Was from a bug magazine...) :angel12: , fed worms to my dad's koi carp, and tried to 'dig to Australia' in a patch of grass beside my playhouse. My mum recently told me she used to put all the mud back in the hole and stamp on it when I was done! THE DECEPTION!!!! :lol:

If you want the tiled look you can get metal sheets with tiles imprinted into them. They look ok.

If you go proper tiles tou can get rosmerys and small ridges to match. But then you need verges or dry verge.

Id go for the felt tiles for a kids shed.

Most impressive to be fair.

I'm a mech tech by trade. Weld, plate, fitting, align a turbine.....

Give me a piece of wood and I go to pieces... lol

Good on you. She will love it.

Thanks guys, its great fun, and ive got an excellent suntan from being out in the garden..

What did you notch the collar for?

Not sure what you mean (im not a builder!) I just screwed the collars to the sides of the rafters. it made it easer to lift the rafters into place. i got all eight rafters in, then fitted the ridge beam and screwed it all together. put the level on top and surprisingly it was dead level!

Impressive indeed, Joe. I thought about building a purpose built bike shed too ... then I realised that the skills may be beeyond me. Well done to you though.

its actually very simple. So long as you can cut the wood to accurate lengths, its easy - just like Lego.

A bike shed would be easier to build as it doesnt need a floor, and could have a single pitched roof sloping back - no need for an apex roof.