New garage ideas.

Oasis

In my continued battle to try and do up this old house, I'm now turning my attention to the garage (before I tackle the garden).

But I can't decide what to do... So I thought I would ask the ladies and gents of the forum for ideas/inspiration.

The garage was built in the 60's and is two storey. I'm only taking down the upper section leaving the breeze block lower section. I'm also taking out the wooden floor and cross beams as they show signs of slight rot.

I would like a brick built garage but I'm not sure what the foundations are like. Also I think that would be the most expensive way to go.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I want to replace the top part of the garage with a new one.

pic4 is of the inside of lower level.

20160819_171302-picsay.thumb.jpg.cc3375273028335ee739321be14e1d18.jpg

20160819_171456-picsay.thumb.jpg.02cb259a1de541c17f525775f9683058.jpg

20160819_171659-picsay.thumb.jpg.c4b15b9d0078513e144fef54152f1327.jpg

20160819_171430-picsay.thumb.jpg.0367c659ab006f9bd3d2ce5c77ac6f6e.jpg

20160819_171537-picsay.thumb.jpg.0b458870155ed9bf7f60a0dc3116178f.jpg

Edited by Oasis

Hi , if it was me I'd like to keep the top section as well, in my workshop space is at a premium and you will find you need extra space , could you repair the upper floor with the expense it's going to take you to reduce it and then have to put a roof on whats left 8-)

One thing I forgot to mention is the door is around five and a half foot in height. The Triumph just about goes under it. I'm 6'2ft and have walked into it more times than I can invent new swear words.

The lower level is going to be tanked.

20160819_181456-picsay.thumb.jpg.e03afc1f3804c611b19037585c5c12cc.jpg

Edited by Oasis

How will you get your bike up to street level from the lower level ?

I don't think I've explained myself too well. The top part is going and a new garge going on top of the lower section.

Hi Oasis , sounds right but maybe just raise that roof with extra sectional parts, I would have thought the basement if you will could have footings to support the upper half worth having a builder look at it to see, the sectional parts are less weight for the upper,but then not knowing about building regs , do you have to ask permission to take the roof higher :(

I don't think I've explained myself too well. The top part is going and a new garge going on top of the lower section.

Got cha... Instead if knocking it down why not just make the entrance higher where it slopes down , get a bigger garage door and to tidy it up get the whole thing rendered.

Got cha... Instead if knocking it down why not just make the entrance higher where it slopes down , get a bigger garage door and to tidy it up get the whole thing rendered.

Certainly an option mate. I have considered in casing the whole thing in wood.

Can't get a clear look if the structure sits ontop of the beams or not. Need to get the floor up.

Hi Oasis , sounds right but maybe just raise that roof with extra sectional parts, I would have thought the basement if you will could have footings to support the upper half worth having a builder look at it to see, the sectional parts are less weight for the upper,but then not knowing about building regs , do you have to ask permission to take the roof higher :(

Not sure Mr Librarian. It's a lot lower than the house as we live on a hill. Having to watch the pennies on it all.

Btw, that explorer service manual has come in very handy! :thumb:

Not sure Mr Librarian. It's a lot lower than the house as we live on a hill. Having to watch the pennies on it all.

Btw, that explorer service manual has come in very handy! :thumb:

No problems matey :thumb:

We put up a prefab sectional garage and had the outside rendered by special plasteres who put a brick coloured stippled top layer of plaster before it was fully dry, then cut a brick pattern through the top coat so it now looks like a brick built garage.

I'm doing mine at the mo too - from a single to a double. I had to run it by building control as it'll be over 30m2. :roll: You should be able to stick a flat roof on the new bit which will give you the extra head room so long as you don't go above the current apex height (assuming that's within regs).

Personally, if there are no cracks or subsidence I would do the top bit out of breeze block and render - it'll be quicker and cheaper than brick and no more heavy than what's there now. I'd also stick a steel between the piers in the downstairs bit to support the floor although you'll have to knock the top block off and pad it with brick.

I'm jealous of your dungeon by the way, that would make a cracking machine shop!

Have a look at the building control website - all the info is there and they're not bad if you call them for advice.

I'm doing mine at the mo too - from a single to a double. I had to run it by building control as it'll be over 30m2. :roll: You should be able to stick a flat roof on the new bit which will give you the extra head room so long as you don't go above the current apex height (assuming that's within regs).

Personally, if there are no cracks or subsidence I would do the top bit out of breeze block and render - it'll be quicker and cheaper than brick and no more heavy than what's there now. I'd also stick a steel between the piers in the downstairs bit to support the floor although you'll have to knock the top block off and pad it with brick.

I'm jealous of your dungeon by the way, that would make a cracking machine shop!

Have a look at the building control website - all the info is there and they're not bad if you call them for advice.

Cheers for that Mr Fro. I'll do just that!

• 6 months later...

Right, decided I'm not going to build something myself as I don't have the time. Still have a bathroom to finish as well as other 'more important' bits that the wife tags on a daily basis.

So, got a local builder extending the height of the floor /ceiling so the room underneath is more practical. It's also going to be concrete which will be better.

A brick garage is going to replace the old prefab with full electrics (trying to talk her into a powered door) and traditional pitched roof.

I'm thinking of having a cupboard in there to keep all my bike gear. But I'm worried about cold and damp getting into them.

Maybe a storage heater?

• 1 month later...

Garage is coming along nicely. Just needs the roof to be finished and electrics and door to go on. Then tank the room underneath and build the driveway up. 20170330_193506-picsay.thumb.jpg.dfb58308a6c9b8584e4c8064c1e6061f.jpg20170327_184137-picsay.thumb.jpg.43a1b1365071f61a8b89ed6def6a814b.jpg20170401_091033-picsay.thumb.jpg.a9c8f8ebb3e32cc9ef84891fc0a72428.jpg20170401_091135-picsay.thumb.jpg.86d5218d801a862df335a6d3e2ff8a1b.jpg

Looks smart!

You shouldn't have to worry about damp in the upstairs bit as it's insulated by the dungeon. I've got a cheapie dehumidifier in mine "just in case" - has to be a condensing one as normal ones don't work at low temperatures. Mine was £120ish from Tesco which works really well.

If you're still thinking of electric doors, I highly recommend Hormann. Insulated, wind and rain proof, high security and look good. They're quite good for price but the lead time is 6 weeks or so.

The majesty of riding up to your garage, pressing a button and rolling straight in is unparalleled. :-)