Camper vans??

Joeman

I've been thinking of getting a van for a while that's capable of moving bikes/junk about.. tonight the other half said "it would be good to have a camper van".

So here's my chance... But i know nothing about camper vans and she's not going to be happy with a panel van with an old mattress in the back like i was planning...

So what's my options?? Needs to be able to transport two adults and two kids when in camping mode, or me plus bike(s) in bike van mode..

To achieve both you'll be looking at a DIY conversion. I can't think of any coach built campers that would also carry bikes/junk.

Avoid the Renault/Vauxhall versions. Most campers use FIAT these days. Personally (though I don't like them) I'd go for a Ford or VW base vehicle. With a bit of imagination and skill you can make an acceptably comfortable camper that can double up as a load carrier. You want to put good insulation into it if you want something you're going to be comfortable in.

Take a trip to a caravan breakers to source internal fittings.

We had a motorhome we loved it!

It was too old and too expensive to run,

we swapped it for the caravan.

I'd love a van conversion!

They're horrendously expensive!

There are loads of F/B pages for sales, lots of scams!

You are describing a "race" van! you see quite a few advertised.

If you get one I want to see pics :D

In France last year I saw some campervans towing some trailers, probably trailertents - is it possible that you could achieve something like that and load a bike or two onto the back of it?

You are describing a "race" van! you see quite a few advertised.

Race vans on ebay look very cool, but they look huge and i wouldnt ever get the use out of it to justify the expense.

I was hoping i could have a camper van that i could roll a bike into the back, maybe remove some stuff whilst its not a camper van to make room for the bike, and put stuff back in when its being used as a camper.

Custom build would be awesome, i'd love to have a go at a custom camper build..

Whats the rules on seats in the back? with kids i'd need to have them strapped in, but i see load of campers with just soft seating in the back with no seat belts... are people allowed to travel in the back of those? (im sure i used to when i was a kid in our family camper van)

My uncle has a VW camper that he's stuck a Subaru engine in, not sure on people sitting in the back though. It's probably ok if it has belts. I'll ask him next time I see him.

4x4 Subaru van would be awesome!!

you get some vans with garages! usually under the fixed bed,

don't think you'd get full sized bike in most of them though!

Did you see Megawatt's minibus at the rally? he had a converted disabled ramp

to get bike in van then towed caravan

send me a friends request on F/B and next time I see something suitable I'll share :D

Ian Renshaw

It's all about compromise! to get bike in you'll have to do without toilet or kitchen maybe

just found this site with some great CAD drawings showing potential layouts...

http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/racevanconversions.html

http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/2%20bike%205%20berth%20race%20van%20on%20XLWB%20Sprinter%20or%20Crafter%20250.jpg

http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/Relay%20L4%20Race%20Van%20overhead%20beech%20250.jpg

as you say, fixed bed seems to go over the top of the garage area.

it's just an idea at the moment, but we go camping every year but the tent is huge and a bit of a hassle so having a camper van and smaller tent would suit us better. not fussed about no toilet/shower, the places we go always have excellent facilities.

More research needed i reckon, (and a job to finance it!) but converting a panel van looks a great option if i can convince the missus.

Think about an ex patient transport ambulance that has a wheelchair lift you can use for a bike. You might lose some usable space because of all the windows, but I'm sure you could blank some of them somehow.

I think we've talked about something similar before and this was my favorite.

It's already insulated, wired, air con etc with a handy removable bed and a snazzy bike lift plus the added bonus that you won't have to pay tax and reduced chances of parking tickets.

To really get a good level of comfort and build to get bikes in the back as well you would need a 7.5 t lorry or large Winnebago style . .

Even lwb merc vans you would be cramping the living section especially to shmbo levels of comfort .

Best bet is if licence allows

Get a campervan and a bike trailer .

You can get seats with belts fitted.

You need a jumbo so extra high and extra long.

Struggle to make something that gets a bike in and will sleep 4.

Ive got a fixed bed in mine, 800mmwide and all my kit gose under it. Then the bike down the side.

Then when the bikes out i can extend it to 1600mm wide and get a double mattress on.

A lot of money to be made renting Camper vans out on the side Joe.

Cost us 500 last year for Silverstone and it was a 10 year old van.

Our friends hired a new one for 800!!

http://bit.ly/2ox2vOz

How about this? If the link works :lol:

High mileage but 1 of the cheapest I've seen

Yeah that looks good! Great price too.

I'd happily have something like that, but I know the other half would say it's too big.

Good idea about renting them out... It could easily earn it's keep..