The drink driver with their 19 month old on board

TC1474

I spend a lot of time on the road across the country and nothing surprises me anymore I'm afraid. The vast majority of drivers have no appreciation or respect for the danger and devastation they can cause. Impatience and using a vehicle as a weapon to force your way in front of other vehicles is endemic. In a 4 hour journey back from the south coast last night I must have witnessed a piece of idiocy at least every 10-15 minutes. We need more police on the roads ASAP and they shouldn't be writing a single ticket for speeding unless the speed is totally inappropriate for the conditions because currently that is focussed on FAR too much.

We also need much better driver education, when I was a kid there were road safety messages on the TV during nearly every commercial break.... where are they now the road are 10 times busier, and the vehicles 2 or 3 times as powerful?

Fast swerving undertakes, tailgaiters, using a vehicle as a weapon, other aggression and impatience, lack of common sense, phone use, driving along half asleep, this is what the police need to be concentrating their efforts on, and if all those that are standing at the side of the road with a speed gun today were out educating drivers and making the idiots think they'd better not do something stupid in case a copper sees them do it (the way drivers used to think when we had police on the roads), the road would be a much safer place.

We also need much better driver education, when I was a kid there were road safety messages on the TV during nearly every commercial break.... where are they now the road are 10 times busier, and the vehicles 2 or 3 times as powerful?

"...and the f-ing car flew this high into the air, Petunia. I shit you not."

hqdefault.jpg

In this event the driver got away very lightly.

In a similar event some years ago the driver hit a member of my family - a serving police officer - who is now disabled for life. Yet the consequences of such driving seems not to be reflected in the penalties handed down. It is time we took responsibility to for getting behind the wheel of a car. If we don't want to be held responsible then don't hold a driving licence.

• 3 weeks later...