Sat Nav recommendations

TC1474

I have a Navman sat nav which I use in the car, has given me brilliant service but after 12 years use and faithfull service at least, it is now coming to the end of its life and is going to be decommisioned (or put in the wife's car as a back up ;))

So, I am after some recommendations from the colective as to what might be a good up to date replacement?

I am only going to use it in the car. I do not need loads of fancy gimmicks apps or wi fi connectivity and all that rubbish. I am not looking ot fork out a kings ransom for something I will only use a small percentage of.

So...Any thoughts?

I would just go with any of the latest top makes within your budget

You won't go wrong with either and the hardest part is just getting used to the new layout

It will be better than the one you currently have :)

It will be better than the one you currently have :)

Of that I have no doubt Stu :wink:

But I am not going to slate it, for the amount of use it has had, the time and money it has saved me, it has been brilliant. It was one of the early touch screens and to be fair it does still work, but it has to be plugged into the mains all the time as the battery holds a charge for all of 3 minutes now.

Beware of the Tom Tom as I had one for years working well until I wanted to update the maps on it. I paid for them online and tried to update it but it ended up turning it into a brick. (I did get my money back after complaining) I have now bought a Garmin version which seems fine so far. HTH. :wink:

What phone do you have? I have satnav built in to my car, but chose to use Google Maps on my phone instead since it's significantly more accurate and responsive to traffic than any satnav I've ever used. You can download the map data for specific areas of you think data might be patchy, and it'll continue navigating on GPS alone if you have no signal.

I have a Kenu Airframe mount which is brilliant - very discreet, easy to attach and take off again, and rock solid. Can highly recommend them if you go the mobile route: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D901B4W/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_xiq9ybEZH5C07

What phone do you have? I have satnav built in to my car, but chose to use Google Maps on my phone instead since it's significantly more accurate and responsive to traffic than any satnav I've ever used.

Hear what you are saying, but I refuse to have internet connection on my phone. My phone is for making and receiving calls plus the occasional text and photo, laptop is for internet connection, sat nav is for telling me how to get to my destinations.

On top of that, I am not like you young whipper snappers :wink: and all clued up on all this technology stuff. Remember, some of us are old and have not grown up with this stuff like you lot have.

I want to stick with what I know

My 2011 Garmin Zumo 550 does both the bike and a car. Screen not really big enough for a car.

Both current cars have built in navigation connected to traffic which has proved invaluable.

What phone do you have? I have satnav built in to my car, but chose to use Google Maps on my phone instead since it's significantly more accurate and responsive to traffic than any satnav I've ever used.

Hear what you are saying, but I refuse to have internet connection on my phone. My phone is for making and receiving calls plus the occasional text and photo, laptop is for internet connection, sat nav is for telling me how to get to my destinations.

On top of that, I am not like you young whipper snappers :wink: and all clued up on all this technology stuff. Remember, some of us are old and have not grown up with this stuff like you lot have.

I want to stick with what I know

I use CoPilot on my phone.....and also use the phone to play music through the car system.....so I've only got one device to carry around......and I'm older than you, Tony..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

I use CoPilot on my phone.....and also use the phone to play music through the car system.....so I've only got one device to carry around......and I'm older than you, Tony..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

But you are more IT savvy and cleverer than me :wink: :)

I ama complete numpty when it comes to computer type gadget things :oops:

But you are more IT savvy and cleverer than me :wink: :)

I ama complete numpty when it comes to computer type gadget things :oops:

No, mate.....I just wing it!.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

I also use co pilot on my phone and am the same as you and never use it for anti social media. Co pilot is pretty easy to use.....I did. :lol: Oh and it doesn't need to be connected to the internet for the navigation. :wink:

I am in the phone Camp hard to say which is correct Sat Nav, I have not used Garmin recently.

On the phone I prefer TomTom to CoPilot (both can be used without internet) if I am out for a fun ride (its more user friendly IMHO). If going form A to B for a reason its Google maps.

+1 for Co-Pilot. Cheap, functional and sits on the same device that plugs into my iTunes. No idea why people would shell out hundreds of pounds on a dedicated, antiquated Satnav.

No idea why people would shell out hundreds of pounds on a dedicated, antiquated Satnav.

Because some of us are antiquated :wink: and prefer having dedicated equipment for specific tasks. Apart from which, they don't cost that much anymore.

My first Sat Nav cost about £500 and you had to plot the route in using maps

The one I have had for the past 12 years cost about £150 and has been brilliant

New ones can be had for under £100.

Not all of us are clever with our phones. I can still our first ordinary phone. A bakelight monster. I also remember my first mobile in the car, It took up half the boot and once you left the UK that was it, no signal until you returned to the UK. Then I had half a house brick :wink:

That apart, my sat nav stays in the car and I know that I always have it with me.

If its simply UK that you want it for.. then i would go for this: http://tinyurl.com/kjr8lmq

seems to have all the features one needs for ordinary driving. you can spend more and add further features like Europe maps.. a dashcam.. etc. but if you dont need any of that.. keep it basic and simple without a shedload of gimmicks and gizmos. just switch it on and enter a postcode.. house number and go.

a step up from that.. is probably this one. http://tinyurl.com/lp7mozq

Just to update. Invested in a TomTom Start 20 today.

Bit slow to download and install the updates, but first impressions are very favourable

Thanks for all your input, it is appreciated.