Looking at the next car for the family....

Troy

Seen a 2008 C-Max for £1,600. It's a 1.6 Diesel with 139,000 miles on the clock, which is the bit that puts me off. Owner said it had a new clutch and cam belt at 120,000 miles and a new water pump at 130,000. Not drove it yet but I wanted to get opinions from others. What's everyone's thought and feelings?

Should of changed water pump when cambelt was changed ... personally I think it's getting there with the mileage and would swerve it .

My Mrs has my old company 2.0 Ghia TDi C-Max on an 04 plate.

I have had it from new and when I left the job, the car was just 3 years old and I was allowed to buy it for a snip. It had just under 60,000 miles at that time.

The wife has now owned it for 10 years, It is now showing 110,000 on the clock and still drives well.

I cannot speak for the 1.6, but the 2.0 has a good engine, a very slick 6 speed gearbox, and she likes the elevated driving position. I don't know what spec level you are considering, but the Ghia is well appointed.

The elecronic hand brake takes a bit of getting used to and it does cause the rear pads to wear more quickly.

Check that the recall was carried out for the heatshield at the back of the bulkhead. The recall is recent and we got one despite the car being nearly 13 years old.

EGR valve can be an issue and causes a loss of power as it gets blocked, but is about £200 to fix.

It needs a proper heavy duty battery. Fit a ow output unit and it can really screw things up with the systems.

Build quality and comfort though is pretty good as is reliability,

As I say, we have an older 2.0 and I am told that whilst the power of the 1.6 is not quite as good as the 2 litre for obvious reasons. it is still a good engine.

I keep suggesting to the wife that we should consider changing it, but she won't hear of it.

Hope that helps? Feel free to ask any questions

be carefull when buying 1.6 tdi one of the 1.6 tdi they use is a bag of crap the is 7 1.6 tdi engines ford use! i know the peugeot/citroen (same engine) 1.6 tdi are ok

i think its the renault engine that is bag of w**k

be carefull when buying 1.6 tdi one of the 1.6 tdi they use is a bag of crap the is 7 1.6 tdi engines ford use! i know the peugeot/citroen (same engine) 1.6 tdi are ok

Just the engine on the Renault , the complete car .

I bought a cheap Renault scenic grand thing after that prick wrote my car off.

To be fair.

For an 11 year old car with only 35 thousand miles on the clock it's sound.

Done Glasgow. Coast. Donington etc so far and never missed a beat.

Petrol 1.6 I think...lol

I bought a cheap Renault scenic grand thing after that prick wrote my car off.

To be fair.

For an 11 year old car with only 35 thousand miles on the clock it's sound.

Done Glasgow. Coast. Donington etc so far and never missed a beat.

Petrol 1.6 I think...lol

I bet that's not the right miles, most of em the dash fails and all the clocks have to be replaced...

No it's right Six.

All old MOTS match up etc.

Plus bought it private.

Took a couple o mates with me to have a look (They make me look and sound like n angel).

Yer man would have suicidal tendencies to sell a pig from his own address :thumb:

No it's right Six.

All old MOTS match up etc.

Plus bought it private.

Took a couple o mates with me to have a look (They make me look and sound like n angel).

Yer man would have suicidal tendencies to sell a pig from his own address :thumb:

You must of got lucky neil :thumb:

Just the engine on the Renault , the complete car .

just the engine, i had a focus and i had nothing but problems with it, turn out to have the renault engine in, they use the same engines in the c max