A Part of my Youth!

XTreme

Saw this today! Brought back good memories of the Summer of 73 when I was 19!

I had a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe then....though this one was badged as a Seat. Very rare car!

The styling has aged pretty well.....which is more than I can say about myself.

The back seat of mine saw some action in those days.....don't think I could even fit in the back of that now!

f850a.thumb.jpg.875bad4f901615170390ed05fb9cc885.jpg

f850b.thumb.jpg.c8b1b382134af73e1cb775fdbeec01f2.jpg

f850c.thumb.jpg.508dada483b688e7e32ec6e94e48ea20.jpg

This was my first in 1971,not as fancy as yours though, just a simple fiat 850 'saloon'.

Fiat850-1.jpg.9c38355a6fd67709188549e949bff838.jpg

And the girl was my 1st too, we were 21.

Has been Mrs. O-t for 47 years now... :D

I liked those too, friend of my parents were selling one when I was 17 (1974), but said it was shot and wouldn't sell it to me. I ended up with a hillman imp which was a heap of c--p and couldn't have been worse than the Fiat.

... couldn't have been worse than the Fiat.

Let me tell you about the quality of the 850 then... :cry:

When I bought it, it was only 4 years old with about 45K km's on the clock. Price was F2250,- (Dutch guilders)

It was a bit rusty here and there already, but nothing to worry about... Well, what did I know, I was 21...

One year later I traded it in on a 4 years old Toyota Corolla 1100.

The dealer would not have the Fiat at first because the bottom was rusty and had come loose of the support side-beams. :shock:

The side panels beneath the doors had disappeared (showing the rotten suport beams) and the driver seat had already come through the floor. :evil:

I was lucky that Toyota was trying hard at the time to get 'it's foot between the door' of the car market in NL at the time.

So they took it off my hands for F500,-... My loss: F1750,- in 1 year, a lot of money for a 21 year old. :?

When I asked the dealer later what happened to the Fiat, they told me that they sold it as 'old iron' to a scrap dealer... :)

Now, the Hillman Imp, that was something... Originally I wanted an Imp, because it was used in rallies... :thumb:

Therefor they were quite popular here though and too expensive for me. Plus there were not so many around in NL.

One thing I must say for the Fiat though, it took me and my girl on a holiday to Finland and back without any problems.

That's when the picture was taken (in Denmark).

Technically it was not a bad car, but the body... Man, that body... :roll: :mrgreen:

Saw this today! Brought back good memories of the Summer of 73 when I was 19!

I call bullshit.

There weren't cars like that in 1873.

You read a lot of Oscar Wilde then Dave?

Nice! don't see many of those nowadays!

My first car was a Maxi! lasted less than 3 weeks before I seized the engine! :lol:

They were dire.....along with Marina's, Allegro's etc.

Best allround car of that era was the Mk IV Cortina!

Nice! don't see many of those nowadays!

My first car was a Maxi! lasted less than 3 weeks before I seized the engine! :lol:

They were dire.....along with Marina's, Allegro's etc.

Best allround car of that era was the Mk IV Cortina!

The Maxi was like driving a tank, but the transverse mount front wheel drive was the first time in a decent size car (after the Mini) and revolutionised car design, everyone started doing it like that afterwards.

My Dad was a rep and got a 1200 Marina in puking yellow. It was woefully underpowered and had a problem with the drivers door handle, it kept breaking and he would have to climb in and out via the passenger side. Dad was in and out the car 30 tines a day, and he was shall we say generously built. It lasted a year I think but he hated it after one week.

He wanted a Cortina but too expensive. Eventually got one second hand but it kept getting nicked and dumped. They said at the time ford only made 6 keys for their cars. He used to drive round with a gallon of petrol in so if it went missing it wouldn't be too far away when the police found it. Didn't keep that one long either.

It's unreal what old vehicles go for now!

It's people going spend crazy before Theresa can grab it off them for their OAP social care.

Talking of crazy......you can guarantee The Sun will be on the cutting edge!

DBvuU_pXcAACquQ.thumb.jpg.b8d81c4ac507b922d218ed4f7b17dcec.jpg