The Tech Nerd Geek Thread

Joeman

Are there enough tech nerds on here to start a geek thread to talk about the geeky techy stuff we get upto??

Tonights geekyness for me comes in the form of an old touchscreen shop EPOS system that i've acquired (Legally!). Its running Windows7 and MySQL so i've just cracked the MySQL Root password and i'm currently poking about in the database whilst drinking cider and blinding myself with the laser scanner 8-) What geeky stuff are you lot upto - or am i alone?

zwvowrd2Y_dAcHPd4LMF3BCjGurlBIzqXrVvup-mpBSRNBpJYFrTUzv6Ruhjd47dEk0zEJJwcu9hU0_kwgm6pmDXzsQWI7fvpNYmI5GtYcCFv-ZfuWaQnQCL3uyUz_NxrS_G3OmyIgCHQ5GPfnFwETHPo8WfsBTe5CnYW4OSsQDLPKj_Xdf5s2rr8J1z5TLPUYkxRpTgvNO2YaYWeGoohcaIGD-0KGmDx2Qv7jYQ2tCBOz2U64Av-Ub-76PdMsKpw1RtPQevgS3e7yjZB90lpCXkMVF3qnogylvWxV_OFvAz2Kb-grljU4Yu4g4nNbIBb-egHc3vTDEKowvBhWfWD40-BBpRI2duMdPMR8n8_-TWixb9et0IpynqTwxNDht6aTOVlob2n5E51cU2KRf6ScSVQ3CSbp6tRW1HqxaOUmeyaIEb6psN1WWULDF9pQyCKEFCnlr9qUOCv12Myz03OEXdQHunGQk3bxL3ZZyXvZOMmqOo3oc2njhjoeSbBCHhzehajwPYvZ-BlNXVRNjOunQ1vmjcOHG9MaFV526y0q9rcqLHNdqWUc_Fk22zsY3gAVxlzPgUw8Oo_fsoDBsdhUM_fho7fvBfwqxzwx4hvqIHWts3G-Vr7xb2Q7uJgt015X9u_Dlpd1nLDWj6ioYJXiV_yAEbY1WuKXB8gha4217CVfs=w1440-h1044-no

I've been putting off trying to diagnose a problem with a computer.

Basically, I spilt lager on it one night, brilliant idea for something that cost more than my bike. Anyway, neither graphics card is now identified,

Can't decide if I should remove them and clean everything and just hope for the best (the fans aren't even starting up, eek).

Or give up and just replace them with something cheap first to see if it's a mobo issue.

I've been procrastinating doing this for months now. At the moment the computer simply serves as the worlds most expensive USB charger for my ecig...

I do enough tech stuff at work that I now don't particularly enjoy doing it at home all the time now. Part of the current list:

IMG_20170722_154127.thumb.jpg.65bd0a1427d82cd02f74d3887fe4dc3e.jpg

Going through a phase of Minecraft + books at home. Need to really start on setting up some WiFi cameras around the house, and better NAS storage. Just not "in the zone" for setting up my own stuff just now :?

I found an app (limbo) that emulates windows on Android so downloaded it and opened it up.

A windows startup thing happened and it asked for something I didn't understand.

I google it, still didn't understand, closed it all down and wished I could have a drink.

One day I'll get round to buying a cheapie windows tablet.

I found an app (limbo) that emulates windows on Android so downloaded it and opened it up.

A windows startup thing happened and it asked for something I didn't understand.

I google it, still didn't understand, closed it all down and wished I could have a drink.

We have an Asus Transformer somethingorother, which is fantastic. Comes with full Office suite, all day battery life, and a removable keyboard. 5/7 would recommend.

I got windows on my iPhone in a way, I used to team viewer my PC to play games whilst I was having a poo or even when I was at work. I could log on my pc via my phone and play games :mrgreen:.

I've very recently transferred jobs internally from a front line investigations job to become an Analyst and so, I have become a full nerd (I don't even like Star Wars!!!)

I had to sit a mandatory 2 week course and my mind nearly exploded.

I can see me coming to this thread more and more in the future!!

What have I done....

I work in IT so I dabble less at home as I am so sick of it from the work day.

My next project is digitising my dvd and Blu-ray collection onto my NAS running Plex. I have about 12TB to play with so shouldn't need to compress too much.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Urgh... I forgot that was on my home to do list as well [mention]MR_W[/mention]

So not looking forward to it.

Plex is a great little app and if you use a qnap it's a native app you can install. Goes and finds all the info and trailers for it so it shows it all when you view it.

Soooo bloody glad that Monday is my last day on the job and then I get to take a break from bashing my head against the wall that is coding for Outlook :cheers:

Time to buy the bits for a new computer stateside so I can get back on TF2, it's been far too long 😎

Been ages since I built my own computer, so this should be a shitshow :lol:

I got constant static shocks at my partner's dad's in Utah. The dog was liking a walking time bomb. Would sneak up and zap you with its nose.

I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'm like a walking, talking Van de Graaff machine and I've not zapped a pc component so badly that it's stopped working yet :-)

I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'm like a walking, talking Van de Graaff machine and I've not zapped a pc component so badly that it's stopped working yet :-)
3 sas drives for an urgent server build I think was my record. Dammit.

I find laptops are prone to static build up but if you drop the battery and power cable out and hold the power button for 30 seconds it clears the static nicely.