Tattoo after leg injury

Moonraker

Morning, bit of an unusual one.

I've looked on good old Google for my answers but getting nowhere and so I thought I'd try this forum before a call to a tattooist.

In January this year I snapped my achillies in half whilst playing rugby, which is not an injury I recommend. This injury has caused me to cease playing my dear sport of rugby.

As a tattoo fan (I have a couple already) I'd like to get a tattoo on the back of my injured leg to mark this injury and the getting over of it. It's a simple arrow design and a helmet (romantic/Greek) in an attribute to "achillies" and his only weakness.

I'm walking around with a small limp now (on a skinny leg) and am found everything as near normal as a I can.

My question is - is it safe, from an aggravating/injury to the tendon standpoint, to get the tattoo now? Or do I need to wait any longer?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Note: I am not a doctor or medically trained and a lot of people would be terrified if I was.

However I do have a tattoo down my calf*, not quite on my Achilles but finished about 1" above it. The pain does shoot down there, it's a really sensitive spot that. I imagine it probably won't damage the Achilles itself, but it might hurt a shit load.

*It's proper rubbish

Hi Westbeef,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like your tattoo is positioned similar to what I'd look to do, although luckily mine is a slim design.

Pain wise, I think I'll be ok, my first tattoo went down 3/4 the centre of my spine and I've had a bamboo tattoo done on ny inner bicep. And the injuries I've had in my life I've had enough practice with pain, unfortunately

Personally I would wait until the injury has healed as much as it is going to. So no inflammation left and such. Apparent from that, if you can deal with the pain of getting a tattoo over a sensitive area then I don;'t see a problem. However I am no professional :)

Note: I am not a doctor or medically trained and a lot of people would be terrified if I was.

Not true.

The human body is far easier to fix up than a motorcycle chain, almost anybody could do it. It's why you can always hear laughter coming from operating theatres - they can't believe we pay them for that shit. Other easy things include rocket science and working out how Eastenders gets an audience.

Tattoos hurt...

They hurt even more in sensitive locations.

I think you will suffer more from having the leg in a specific position for a period of time than through the muscle damage??

I have had surgery on my back and since had some ink work on it. Crack on you'll be right.

If you can play that thug game union you can't be a soft lad :lol:

If not go full tart mode and get some of that numbing cream :cheers:

Two people I know had numbing cream recently - both of them developed a really nasty reaction. Don't know if it's common but I'll certainly be giving it a wide berth next time.

Two people I know had numbing cream recently - both of them developed a really nasty reaction. Don't know if it's common but I'll certainly be giving it a wide berth next time.

Never used it.

Proper frowned upon where I go.

I have been known to take the odd paracetamol or 4 before going mind. Especially when it's been under the arm etc.

Thanks all for the advice. In no particular order;

Never heard of numbing cream but I'd never use it.

What tattoo is on your arse Baldrick?

Yes, I played union indeed but throughout my years I did multiple sports, including Muay Thai and American Football as well as rugby and running Toughmudders.

The injury is as good as it's going to get in the sense of its physical state and the skin is all sealed, no swelling etc, it's just strength and flexibility that requires the work now.

I fell asleep getting my tattoo done, its down my spine. Only woke up when he reached where my kidneys are cause I was twitching uncontrollably !

I never used the numbing cream either, heard too many back stories about it. Just washed it with luke warm water as often as possible and some plain moisturiser overnight.

If it's healed then I see no point in putting it off if you really want the tattoos.

Edited by Arwen

Get training again Mark

You never know. I thought I'd never play owt again after back surgery in 2009. I was 35 then and thought well that's that then.

Did the intensive physio etc.

Started training in gym a bit and went from there.

Have played 80 minutes since several times. Couldn't do a full season or owt now but that's more to do with being old n over weight. :lol:

You don't move much playing ra ra anyway :cheers:

Thanks all for the advice. In no particular order;

Never heard of numbing cream but I'd never use it.

What tattoo is on your arse Baldrick?

Yes, I played union indeed but throughout my years I did multiple sports, including Muay Thai and American Football as well as rugby and running Toughmudders.

The injury is as good as it's going to get in the sense of its physical state and the skin is all sealed, no swelling etc, it's just strength and flexibility that requires the work now.

I have the Rolling Stones lips picture (The Album cover of 40 licks) on each cheek.

front_stones_invite.jpg

Nice Baldrick.

Neil - valid point and I'm only 31 but I get married next year and the Mrs will kill me if I can't walk properly lol. Only started a very slow, limpy jog this last two weeks so I've got ages to go until I'd be able to play properly again.

Still limp now when walking and can't do long distances.

Toughmudders are on the horizon though, one day! Kids are too so need to be able to run around after them.

I just had a sleeve finished off. Without asking, the tattooist put numbing spray on some areas. I wasn't in pain anyway, but, a day later, where he had used it I was getting quite a bad reaction so I'd never suggest letting anyone use it. I'd make it a point before hand to say no numbing stuff...

Without asking, the tattooist put numbing spray on some areas.

I wouldn't have been happy about that, especially as a lot of people do seem to react to it.

Pics of sleeve pleeeeeeeease (or maybe we should wait until you;re not all gross and rashy :lol: )

• 7 months later...

http://i64.tinypic.com/34ihhy8.jpg

This is my latest one, I won't put the forum through the trauma of showing my arse tattoos. :lol:

The Mrs booked me a tattoo in [that I've wanted for ages] 9 months ago and yesterday, after waiting all that time.. I had it done!!!

IMG-20180403-WA0007.thumb.jpg.e8254cd78f6cffaa0e9880065c38839f.jpg

Edit: Still having issues with my leg and so haven't done the leg tattoo yet!