I had to laugh

TC1474

Over the weekend I carried out a couple of advanced driving tests (I know, it was a car rather than the bike :roll: )

Anyway, I gave one of the candidates his briefing, which usually finishes with me saying "Drive naturally and as you have been taught by your observer during your tutor sessions, do what you normally do and you will I am sure do absolutely fine"

I always say something along these lines just as a form of another chill pill to help them relax.

Anyway, I get led to the candidates car (Bentley Continental) and he does his pre drive check very well, in we get and he does his cockpit drill and off we go.

We are about 20 minutes into the drive when the candidate saod "Could you do me a favour and hold on to this please?" and promptly hand me hos packet of rolling backy and proceeds to roll himself a ciggy whilst still driving on test :shock:

My gast was flabbered. He then lit up and started puffing away.

I suppose I should have said something sooner, but in 30 + years as an advanced examiner that was the first time that has ever hapened..

I did ask him to extinguish his cig.

Anyway, we got back and I asked him about his behaviour and his reply? "You told me to do what I normally do"

Well despite the fact that when he had control of the car it was actually a very good drive, I had to fail him not least because I stank (even though he only took a couple of puffs) and he did not have proper control whilst he was rolling his baccy.

I just could not believe what I had witnessed.

When I told him that I was unable to pass him, he just shrgged his shoulders and said "OK, I quite understand!"

I got back in my car and just chuckled for about 10 minutes before I set off for home.

Some people eh?

Love the story, it made me grin too.

Just wondering, what is this advanced driving test for ?

Do people who are tested have a licence already?

And if so, is it a voluntary thing or do drivers periodically have to have this test ?

As a hobby I got my certification as a driving/riding instructor and I have been a 'spare' car-motorbike-moped instructor for a local driving school for over 20 years.

So I know what funny and sometimes crazy, candidates come by every now and then.

But I never had anything like your 'smoker'. Especially the rolling of the cigarette must have stunned you for a sec...

When I retired from my 'normal' job I did not renew my certification (a 5 years obligation) so I also stopped as an instructor.

As we don't have anything like an advanced test for drivers in NL, I'm wondering if you can enlighten me on this advanced test in the UK.

Like I said, just interested...

Inspiring stuff!!

I'd love to be an instructor to just see the sights sometimes. There was a lad about my age on my CBT that pretty much refused to ever strap up his helmet. This lad had been riding a moped and a 125 for 2 years and was renewing his CBT. The instructor made a point several times and eventually he got it and started strapping up, but this is one transaction I heard...

Instructor: "Look I'm not bothered if you don't want to do it, but I'm not taking you out on the road and you'll get sent home with out a CBT unless you start. *Cue safety lecture* If you come off and that helmet isn't strapped up it's gonna be naff all use to you and it'll come off your head!"

Moron: "Yeah I know it happened the other day. Some granny pulled out of a parking bay in Tesco and I slid down the road and the helmet came off *beings laughing*"

I often wonder how many idiots somehow get through their CBT's driving tests, because somehow that muppet did.

In answer to your original question, advanced driving and riding is intended for those who hold a full licence. The difference between Learner riding and advanced is like chalk and cheese, and 90% of what you learn to pass the L test goes out of the window at advanced level.

This link from an earlier thread explains what we as examiners are looking for and it applies by and large to both bikes and cars, although you cannot fikter in a car in the same way you can on a bike

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=62358&p=971258&hilit=advanced+riding#p971258

Everything is geared around the Police rider/drivers manual Roadcraft which is the bible, and whilst learners are told that they must do something, at advanced level, our favourite word is "Consider" as nothing is cast in stone.

The original definition of the system just about sums up what we are looking for.

The system of motorcycle/car control is a system or drill, each feature of which is considered in sequence at the approach to any hazard.

The aim of the first class rider is to be travelling at the correct position on the road at the correct speed with the correct gear engaged, and for this we consider the features of the system IPSGA

Information - Give and receive information

Position

Speed

Gear,

Acceleration - The correct degree of acceleration is aplied to leave the hazard safely

There is much more to it than that so I won't bore you, but suffice to say advanced riding and driving is not difficult, it is just about applying common sense.

I have trained some Police riders from Holland in the past and I think I am right in saying that back in the day wthe Dutch police used to send all their instructors over to us for training. I guess that this does not happen now, but then we used to get students from all over the world.

:lol:

Did he roll it one handed? That would be quite impressive..

Then he would not need for him to hold the Backy, somewhere in life I learned to steer quite efficiently with me knees. A useful skill on occasion.

In answer to your original question, advanced driving and riding....

I need to thank you still for your extensive reply including the link to your epistle of 28-12-2016.

A bit late, sorry, but I haven't been on-line lately.

I am aware that training/examining for driving/riding licences are very different in almost all countries of Europe, let alone the rest of the world.

Systems even differ in the 'sister countries' of the low lands; NL and Belgium.

In NL you cannot, as a learner driver, drive independently in traffic.

A learner must alway be accompanied by an official certified instructor.

In Belgium for instance, as in other countries, this can be anyone (family member) that has a licence...

In some counties (like Finland) this 'anyone' must have followed a special course to be allowed to accompany a learner.

I think that the greatest difference between the UK and NL lies in the participation of the police in the UK.

In NL police is not at all involved in training/examining of candidates.

Other than individual police officers having their certification to educate citizens, but they need to pass the same exams as I did to become an instructor.

The NL police does have of course police instructors to give their own advanced and specialized trainings to police officers.

But none of this is available for normal citizens.

As far as advanced trainings are concerned in NL, they are all done by private institutions and an 'advanced' certificate does not have an official status.

Although many insurance companies will give you a discounts for few years, if you have one.

Your system seems very thourough and serious to me.

Nice to have a bit of an 'insde view' on how the UK does things...

Thanks again!