Sky TV

madcow87

After years of being a Sky customer I've grown tired of being ripped off and sacked them off last night and switched to BT.

Was paying upwards of £75 a month to Sky for a basic package with HD and broadband, meanwhile friends were getting the same package with SKy Q upgrades and multiroom for closer to £40-50 a month. Rang to see if they could do any better and if I switched to fibre broadband they could offer me £58 a month or if I wanted to ditch some of the few channels that I did have they could offer me £50 a month. :roll:

Asked BT about they're packages and I've got fibre broadband and the full TV package (which includes BT Sport and Eurosport in HD for the bikes :) ) I'm paying £45 a month. No activation charges or set up charges.

Me and the wife scanned the lists comparing Sky to BT channels. Although Sky clearly have many many more channels of the ones that we could get for those prices we're only losing the Sky specific channels (Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts etc) never had Sky sports or cinema so not losing them because I never had them, but I'm gaining BT Sport for the Moto GP and some champions league and a few select football matches so I'm happy with that.

I can't believe the lack of commitment from sky though. I asked about any discounted offers on movies/sports they could do, "Nothing sir sorry." Any upgrade offers on Sky Q or multi-room? "Nothing sir." Could I get a new HD box because mines on its way out after 5 years, "No sir sorry you'd need to have Sky cover at £10 extra month."

Absolute con artists :booty:

I think part of the problem is the Sky Q part.

I told them I was leaving a while back because it only gets used when my mum visited. They told me if I was willing to keep my old box that I could have the basic package for little over a tenner a month. Figured that was better than trying to get my mum to figure out how to use netflix/amazon via the PS4 or chromecast (wasn't working, I tried many times!). I've no idea if it's possible, but do people flog old boxes on ebay? perhaps replace yours that way?

I'm in the same position - fed up paying for sky.

I have sky movies, Netflix and Amazon prime. Something has to go!

I was considering Freesat-HD. Don't think it's going to be as good as sky though.

It really depends on how much TV you watch [mention]Joeman[/mention]. I literally only watch the bike racing. There are next to no TV series I bother with that I can't get on Netflix or Amazon Prime, the wife only watches stuff on free TV channels, we needed a few kids channels so BT was the perfect balance really.

I'm not sure what Freesat HD offers so I can't really comment, but I'd have a google and see wha tthey offer and whether there is anything you want but wouldn't get.

After years of being a Sky customer I've grown tired of being ripped off and sacked them off last night and switched to BT.

Was paying upwards of £75 a month to Sky for a basic package with HD and broadband, meanwhile friends were getting the same package with SKy Q upgrades and multiroom for closer to £40-50 a month. Rang to see if they could do any better and if I switched to fibre broadband they could offer me £58 a month or if I wanted to ditch some of the few channels that I did have they could offer me £50 a month. :roll:

Asked BT about they're packages and I've got fibre broadband and the full TV package (which includes BT Sport and Eurosport in HD for the bikes :) ) I'm paying £45 a month. No activation charges or set up charges.

Me and the wife scanned the lists comparing Sky to BT channels. Although Sky clearly have many many more channels of the ones that we could get for those prices we're only losing the Sky specific channels (Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts etc) never had Sky sports or cinema so not losing them because I never had them, but I'm gaining BT Sport for the Moto GP and some champions league and a few select football matches so I'm happy with that.

I can't believe the lack of commitment from sky though. I asked about any discounted offers on movies/sports they could do, "Nothing sir sorry." Any upgrade offers on Sky Q or multi-room? "Nothing sir." Could I get a new HD box because mines on its way out after 5 years, "No sir sorry you'd need to have Sky cover at £10 extra month."

Absolute con artists :booty:

Is that a new customer deal ? Probably go up to around the same as sky after 6 months..

I get every channel going for £60 a year :D :D

its definitely a limited time offer. Its a 12 month contract so it'll be that price for the next year. I'll see how much it goes up next year and start changing stuff around. Its becoming like insurance and utilities TV now. Where every year they'll up the prices and start rinsing you for cash until you grow tired of it and start ringing up for better deals and shopping around.

I pay £60 a month for Virgin. I think 40 of that is for the 200MB broad band.

For the remaining 20 i have a Tivo V8 box and all channels excluding Sky Sports/Cinema.

Dont even watch it. Watch all my stuff on Kodi via the Firestick.

I tell my old man to bin Sky quite often as it's a rip off. On the plus side, I'm one of his Sky Go players so I get to see the Sports! :lol:

The Mrs and I binned Virgin and got BT and it's been great, especially with then BT Sport being thrown in, but we have a Youview box with it (I had it with Talk Talk too). It does a lot of what Sky does, series link recording, live pause etc. and it's cheaper by miles. :thumb:

I tell my old man to bin Sky quite often as it's a rip off. On the plus side, I'm one of his Sky Go players so I get to see the Sports! :lol:

The Mrs and I binned Virgin and got BT and it's been great, especially with then BT Sport being thrown in, but we have a Youview box with it (I had it with Talk Talk too). It does a lot of what Sky does, series link recording, live pause etc. and it's cheaper by miles. :thumb:

Cheers mate yeah we've got a youview+ box coming which I believe has a 1TB hard drive for recording bits on which is useful. We've never filled out Sky HD box that was 500gb I think so that'll be more than enough.

As for Kodi, we have an android box and a firestick with Kodi on that I use for movies and TV box sets which is why Sky Cinema is not something that I've ever been bothered about. I can't ever be bothered with getting mediocre stutter streams for sports though so that's why I fancied getting BT sport back. Having spent the weekend watching the BSB in perfect clarity I thought yeah I like that!!