Off Roaders beware

manxie49

Just wanted to warn any off roaders that may be visiting the Isle of man, there seems to be a lot of anti off road activists about, as someone who used to do a lot of off roading I can vouch that I have come up against a lot of rude, arrogant people who want to stop riders using the green lanes, I was always considerate, stuck to the lanes and rode in a live and let live fashion, it didn't stop me taking abuse though, it got to a point where I always took my go pro out with me. we now appear to be getting things such as what is detailed in the link below, take care out there guys and if anyone comes up against things such as this I urge them to contact our local constabulary who are very proactive and who will investigate and act upon things reported to them http://manx.net/isle-of-man-news/70492/green-lanes-danger

I hear a lot of anti motorsport comments over hear now, bearing in mind the Island has been synonymous with motorsport for many, many years, and has a rich history in motorcycling, all too often you can read exerts that begin "ban the TT" "ban the FOM" "ban greenlaning" "ban the rally" unbelievably most of the comments are made by people who have moved here to live, it beggars belief, why move here if you don't like motorsport.....

Bloody hell :shock:

I've never had any trouble with the other people in the byways around here, usually pretty friendly in fact - I slow down to pass so as to avoid squashing children or dogs, or startling horses, and they move to the opposite side and don't do anything sudden or stupid while I'm passing. Usually say hi or have a little wave.

That being said, I remember someone near Huntingdon being hospitalised a few years back when a wire was tied across a trail at neck height... :evil:

I hear a lot of anti motorsport comments over hear now, bearing in mind the Island has been synonymous with motorsport for many, many years, and has a rich history in motorcycling, all too often you can read exerts that begin "ban the TT" "ban the FOM" "ban greenlaning" "ban the rally" unbelievably most of the comments are made by people who have moved here to live, it beggars belief, why move here if you don't like motorsport.....

Whilst running the risk of being somwhat condercending.

The island can be pretty desolate during the off season.

And I mean even in July when nowt on...lol

Douglas for a night out can be a little quite.

The island relies on motorsport to allow it's infrastructure to thrive. (In my opinion. I'm no expert :lol: )

Totally agree with that, population is increasing though, the Islands population is now approaching 90K, the complaints don't appear to be coming from the Manx people, unless I'm reading what has been posted on social media incorrectly, they appear to be coming from people who have moved over or retired here, some of who seem to think that motorsport is destroying the peace and tranquility of the island!! Its stuff posted like the following that fuels their fire even further https://jalopnik.com/5931270/why-the-worlds-deadliest-race-could-never-happen-again, its my personal opinion that if you don't like it don't come here, racing is a Manx tradition, going strong for over a hundred years, I love riding round the roads during TT and seeing bikes with number plates from as far afield as America, Germany, Spain and Norway to mention but few, if motorsport didn't exist neither would the Island, when I go on holiday and people ask where I'm from I say the Isle of Man, the usual reply is "oh yes, where they hold the TT races"

Interesting article. Obviously by someone who does not understand road racing and TT's.

(Good picture of the Old Hillman Hunter though. I had one of those )

Going back to complaints you often find they come from folk who move in to an area and not the long term residents.

I love how calm they both are! I would have screamed.

Yeah! The journalist probably didn't realise how close he came to a fiery death..

I was at the grandstand watching this when they started of, I was told it looked a whole lot scarier in real life than it did in the video, I reckon there were brown stains on those seats when they got back!