Operation Christmas child

NeilM

Morning all.

So I've got myself involved in the above. Those of you with school age kids may already be aware of it.

It's basically an annual appeal for toys, hygiene products and educational bits and pieces which are then despatched in a shoe box to under privileged kids. The only real stipulation is that anything has to be able to fit in the box and no war related items. E.g. toy guns etc.

I have so far got 4 power stations collecting on my behalf and thought why not give you reprebates a go too. :lol:

I am doing it from St Joseph's RC church Batley Carr and the adjoining school.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Either in the form of an already made up box or financial whereby we would then go out and purchase appropriate items. (All boxes are opened and 're distributed fairly prior to sending)

Any offers of help please get in touch :cheers:

Further info can be found by simply googling operation Christmas child.

If you do you will see there is a £5 despatch cost against each box. Do not let this put you off. I have got my work to pay for any despatch costs.

Cheers Neil.

Stu. I hope this is reyt on here

I've worked with a number of charities and am a trustee of a couple. I also work in schools and check the background of groups seeking our support. We've supported this initiative in the past but having checked into their background and practices it is one we no longer feel able to support.

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't support them, just check them out beforehand. Make an informed decision.

I've worked with a number of charities and am a trustee of a couple. I also work in schools and check the background of groups seeking our support. We've supported this initiative in the past but having checked into their background and practices it is one we no longer feel able to support.

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't support them, just check them out beforehand. Make an informed decision.

Little confused by this.

Please elaborate.

This is being run through the church and the Samaritans.

We've supported this initiative in the past but having checked into their background and practices it is one we no longer feel able to support.

Why?

http://www.secularism.org.uk/opinion/2016/10/advice-for-parents-wanting-to-give-the-evangelical-operation-christmas-child-shoebox-scheme-a-wide-berth

Going off google they are bible bashing bigoted religious nutters.

http://emilyjoypoetry.com/7-reasons-not-to-participate-in-operation-christmas-child-this-year

All I will say is.

This is done through the church.

Some May call us left footers nutters??

Who knows.

If you want to help help if not that's fine and it's each individuals prerogative to have an opinion .

I've been collecting for years.

All I will say is.

This is done through the church.

Some May call us left footers nutters??

Who knows.

If you want to help help if not that's fine and it's each individuals prerogative to have an opinion .

I've been collecting for years.

so has our bin man :lol:

[mention]Bender[/mention] - I'm not a religious type so am not in a massive rush to do good work in the name of the almighty. However, quote mining some old tosh from rabid "antis" doesn't go far by way of an answer to my question. It also makes you look like a bit of a tit.

[mention]goody[/mention] - mildly amusing if not very helpful.

[mention]Stu[/mention] - You might as well give me the mod spot now as Six showed his arse on this one.

Everyone has to make their mind up who to support. I'm not going into why we decided against OCC but there's plenty of churches and other groups who have stopped participating in their operations. I've worked overseas with people supported by the likes of UNICEF and Christian Aid and know what benefits charities can make, but in those cases the charities work with local people supporting them find local solutions to the issues faced with no strings attached.

There was some bloke with a beard, sandals and a bunch of mates who were fishermen, who said, when you give don't let your right hand know what your left hand is doing. In other words, give unconditionally with no other motive.

I'm currently sending goods to people through a charity, but when they open the box all they find is the items they asked for. Nothing else.

@Bender - I'm not a religious type so am not in a massive rush to do good work in the name of the almighty. However, quote mining some old tosh from rabid "antis" doesn't go far by way of an answer to my question. It also makes you look like a bit of a tit.

@goody - mildly amusing if not very helpful.

@Stu - You might as well give me the mod spot now as Six showed his arse on this one.

Mildly amusing? I think diverting a religious war is more deserving than that......nah ya right could of done better will try harder next time :cheers:

[mention]Mr Fro[/mention]

Ohh personal insults :D

Girl guides also disassociated them selves from it there are so many who have done that i couldn't even be bothered to continue , no doubt they are all anti everything, a question was asked when google gives lots of answers and an answer was given that someone obviously didn't like.

To be honest any group that is going to use other peoples charity to push there own view of religion i would not be supporting.

@Bender - I'm not a religious type so am not in a massive rush to do good work in the name of the almighty. However, quote mining some old tosh from rabid "antis" doesn't go far by way of an answer to my question. It also makes you look like a bit of a tit.

@goody - mildly amusing if not very helpful.

@Stu - You might as well give me the mod spot now as Six showed his arse on this one.

right wing religion .... I thought anything right wing was a no no and should be condemned to hell, any religion come to think of it ..

and Fro you've got no chance of the mod job .. you said arse , first warning son :D

This is being run through the church and the Samaritans.

FYI - it's not run by "The Samaritans" - it's run by Samaritan's Purse, an American evangelical organisation. They pull in $414,031,085+ from this stuff every year.

Samaritan's Purse is controlled by Franklin Graham, who trousers a massive wedge because God wills it; he's a Far-Right homophobe and racist.

If there is a God I suspect he'd want to smite Graham good and proper.

1 of the things my Dad told me years ago was never talk about religion

or politics in the Pub! :lol:

Same things apply to forums really :lol:

I've been watching this thread but it's just about ok so far I think :?:

I am behaving Rennie :thumb:

Keep n eye on six though :lol: