Netflix, Prime, Sky or sometging else.

Mr Fro

Dudes, I need help again...

Wife and I watch mainly films and box sets on the tellybox and as such we have zillions of DVDs cluttering up the place.

Prime and Netflix seem really cheap at sub £10/month. However, Prime looks like a fair bit of stuff has to be purchased as an "add-on". The Netflix website doesn't actually give much info so I can't tell if it's a similar deal.

Has anyone got any experience of either of both of the above? I don't want to sign up for something then find I rack up a huge bill to get the decent stuff!

I'm also considering Sky but don't know how on-demandy that is. I'll take a look at other stuff too if I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Fro

Prefer prime to Netflix and you get free delivery options, Netflix tended to be a bit pants apart from one or two of there own shows

We just cancelled sky as it's just too much, got bt sport with the broadband but not plugged it into router yet so no idea what bt TV is like

I have Prime and Netflix, from a pure tv program/movie point of view Netflix is better imo. What you see on Netflix is what you get for the sub. Amazon you see loads of films you need to rent or buy to watch.

Also recently Netflix has recently put a lot of new good films on (Star Wars, Hacksaw Ridge) and some good old ones like fight club and Pulp Ficition.

We've had both, Netflix was fine but we ran out of stuff to watch and there were very few new films coming on it. Prime is also good, better for sets and original series than Netflix, plus you get free delivery, the downside is I don't like the amount of stuff you then have to pay again to watch. Prime also has a shedload of total garbage padding its 'included' material.

On balance we dropped Netflix and kept Prime. But for a first time round Netflix is worth trying until you've watched everything that interests you.

I've got sky, Amazon and Netflix.

Sky-Hd is ok but films limited.

Amazon has some good content but they do cheeky stuff like giving the first few episodes for free then charge for the last.

Netflix is best for movies.

I use the Amazon fire TV to run the Netflix app.

Amazon prime is good for free next day delivery.

I have all 3 as well. I hardly ever use Amazon prime fire stick, not a lot on there and most of you have to pay for. I only use the fire stick for watching The Grand Tour.

I normally go between Netflix and Sky for films.

Prime - some really decent series, old shit films.

Netflix - lots of excellent series, a few decent films within a pile of shit.

Flix wins it for me because of the higher number of 4K things. I have to keep both for the family. Wouldn’t have Sky if you paid me, Murdoch can go suck a dick.

Thanks for the help good people of motorcycle world. :thumb:

Sounds like Netflix will be the one to try first. Super bonus that it's the cheapest too!

I priced sky and it's way more than I'm willing to pay. It came out as £40/month for movies and box sets so there's really no contest. Plus I don't want child getting in to shite American TV.

Edit: Apart from Colombo because that's always good.

Try them both, you get a one month free subscription and cancelling the subscription is easy, we use Netflix, pretty satisfied with what it has and it suits our purposes, we intend to cancel Sky, getting fed up with the same stuff being regurgitated over and over again and we find that what we do watch is available on free-view anyway

If you like Marvel stuff then Netflix!

I always find stuff to watch and they also have a "kids" mode so it's easy to find some delightfully awful kids films that I actually love. Hotel Transylvania is great :lol:

They also have some good documentaries and some bad but enjoyable motortrend tv stuff

Prime - some really decent series, old shit films.

Netflix - lots of excellent series, a few decent films within a pile of shit.

Flix wins it for me because of the higher number of 4K things. I have to keep both for the family. Wouldn’t have Sky if you paid me, Murdoch can go suck a dick.

Exactly all of this.

Disney are going to bring out their own streaming service. Now that they own nearly everything!

Word is they are going to pull the marvel deal with Netflix. So this Disney service will have the entire marvel universe, including the tv spin off shows, same with star wars etc. And they own a big part of Sky now so you can expect to see things like Westworld etc on there.

But of the currently available, Prime I like as it has the Grand Tour. The second season is out and is improved over the first season. Netflix has things like Mindhunter and star trek discovery, which are both good watches. It also has better own made tv-series in general.

Word is they are going to pull the marvel deal with Netflix. So this Disney service will have the entire marvel universe, including the tv spin off shows, same with star wars etc.

The contract lasts until the end of 2019, so it's all as normal up to that point according to Disney's CEO. Given that the production and scripting values are outstandingly high, and giving Disney shelf sales not seen elsewhere in the superhero genre, I'd be amazed if they decided to take it in-house after that point.

But that's 24 months away and there will be far more things happening in the streaming market than simply Disney setting up shop. Netflix is busy acquiring rights to other potential series while major studios are wondering whether to reign in the influence Netflix has. Given that a contract can be cancelled immediately, I don't see all of this being a factor in today's decisions.

Grand Tour. The second season is out and is improved over the first season.

This is highly debatable, but to save everyone time I've had the debate with myself and the verdict is it's still quite shit.

Grand Tour. The second season is out and is improved over the first season.

This is highly debatable, but to save everyone time I've had the debate with myself and the verdict is it's still quite shit.

Its definitely an improvement on last series, the American has gone thank the Lord, and the head to head in the track is fine, it's all still staged to death but I like it.

Word is they are going to pull the marvel deal with Netflix. So this Disney service will have the entire marvel universe, including the tv spin off shows, same with star wars etc.

The contract lasts until the end of 2019, so it's all as normal up to that point according to Disney's CEO. Given that the production and scripting values are outstandingly high, and giving Disney shelf sales not seen elsewhere in the superhero genre, I'd be amazed if they decided to take it in-house after that point.

But that's 24 months away and there will be far more things happening in the streaming market than simply Disney setting up shop. Netflix is busy acquiring rights to other potential series while major studios are wondering whether to reign in the influence Netflix has. Given that a contract can be cancelled immediately, I don't see all of this being a factor in today's decisions.

I agree it's a long way off, which is why I gave reasons for prime and netflix.

But I think it's worth bearing in mind as it gives some indication where the streaming market is heading, which is for increased diversity.

I'm just glad you can freeze your netflix account, I don't like having more than 2 subscriptions, so I'll just hop from service to service based on which has the better content at the time. Providing they keep the ability to do that!

We've got both Amazon and Netflix, and are planning to cancel Prime. Not enough stuff included as standard, and the films in particular are generally fairly pants. Also stuff like including season 1 of Preacher with Prime but then charging for season 2 really pissed us off.

All that said, it's probably still worth it (just about) if you buy loads of stuff on Amazon and like getting speedy delivery. Some of the Prime exclusive offers can be good, too. But none of that is relevant to us any more (Prime is 2 to 3 day delivery here and costs a fair bit more) so we're bailing.

Oh, but if you do give a Prime trial a go, watch "Rare Exports". Watched it last night, best Christmas movie I've ever seen :lol:

Had Sky years ago,got p1ssed off with it,kids would watch trashy American shows and we got into the habit of just flicking through the channels until we found something partially interesting to watch.The box then broke so we got rid of it.

Only had free view until a couple of months ago,OH pestered me into getting a fire stick, which is ok watched a few of the free box sets.

We try not to revolve our life around watching TV and certainly would not pay for Sky/Disney.

What we can't watch we won't miss.

Tried all 3 as well as love film and only have Netflix now with basic sky package. Amazon was cheeky wanting to pay for things that are available on Netflix Inc in your sub, sky is expensive and limited and love film is only really good if you want the DVD

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We have prime, not tried others. We also have video rental shop down road if we fancy movie night we go there, Blue ray 3D etc. A guy behind the counter who recommends movie to you. You cannot bear it.

As for grand tour, staged but fun. About the only thing I watch on truly.