Motorsinkal Consultation

TC1474

I think those changes look good, nothing too dominating in there but lots of changes I think most would agree with.

Theory before a CBT is a very good one and if the "introduce a training course for riders to upgrade their motorcycle licence, instead of passing extra tests" is talking about progressing from A2 to A then even better.

85% of those who responded to the consultation agreed we should restructure CBT courses to focus on:

the importance of equipment and safety clothing

on-site training

motorcycling theory

on-road practical riding skills.

We’ll let you know more about this in next year, and update you on when the changes to the CBT syllabus will be implemented.

But that's what they focus on already :?

So would a new rider have to do the theory test for a full motorcycle licence before they do the CBT?, or will there be one for the CBT and one for the full licence too, I’m betting on the latter, anything to make them more money.

Not necessary. The theory for a large bike is the same for a small bike. The actual difference is in the handling and other physical characteristics, hence the extra tests. I still prefer the old system tho, less hassle. Plus I went from a CB500 strait to a bandit1250 and I didnt mangle my scrotum or detonate a polar bear. All without any additional tests or training. But then I am awsome, everyone else is useless and must pass more tests. Thats the only reason I can think of for the government introducing more arse-ache. :x

So would a new rider have to do the theory test for a full motorcycle licence before they do the CBT?, or will there be one for the CBT and one for the full licence too, I’m betting on the latter, anything to make them more money.

There are two options.

One is to have a basic theory test as part of the CBT. So there will be no change to the required tests to be take, just that the CBT will effectively be made tougher. This option though would increase the length of a CBT and require additional support and training for trainers that it will likely increase the cost of a CBT.

The intention is therefore simply to require a completed theory test before you can take a CBT. So there will be no extra costs, it would only change the order in which you must complete the various stages of getting a licence. It is felt this would be simpler, improve standards of learners on the road, allow more of the CBT time to be spent on practical skills, and encourage more riders to take the full test rather who currently keep renewing CBTs.

So following an assessment of the impact of requiring a completed theory test there will be a further consultation.

Whilst the DVSA are legally required to make a surplus, the idea that they do anything to make a profit is absurd. Two years ago they reduced the theory test cost due to efficiency savings rather than increase profits. And the consideration of replacing testing with training for the progressive access route will lose them test income whilst requiring expense to support the system

I’m in favour of a theory test being done before a CBT, it makes sense, I don’t think another should need to be done before taking a full licence.

The motorcycle test has become a complete cluster**** for new riders though, so many different ages and catogories now.

I’m glad I did mine prior to all the changes.

The fact you can’t obtain an unrestricted A licence from scratch until you’re 24 but you can take a test for an Artic at 18 makes absolutely no sense and is ridiculous in my opinion.

Yea but the problem with youth is you dont spend all that money passing your hgv to go ragging round full pelt to get your kicks but give your average 18yr old a 100hp plus superbike and you can tell where its going, I deliberately stayed away from bikes when i was young as i knew i wasn't to be trusted, i was bad enough in a car

How would it be if the government spent as much time and money working out how to remove bad riders and drivers from the roads.

start with the (as of 01/06/2017) 10,116 motorists with 12 or more points who have not lost their licences.

like the woman in Oxon with 51 points. or the man in Basildon with 42 points.... and so on.

Apparently these people have excuses and reasons for why they can get away with this. really.

I would not say three categories with age ranges is "so many".

Well, there are four if you want to count mopeds, even though there is no car equivalent for 16 year olds. Though there must be almost no one taking the AM test rather than just riding on a CBT for a year before doing the A1 test. It is only useful if you need to take a pillion as no one should want to use a motorway when they are restricted to 28mph.

What young people are driving arctics for fun when an A2 licence easily gets you on bikes doing over 100mph? The age limit for them was only lowered to encourage recruitment, and they are essentially just a piece of work equipment rather than a status symbol to race around in at weekends.

Back before the changes there was practically no one who passed their test at 18 and jumped straight on a superbike anyway as the insurance was the prohibitive factor, my first proper bike was a 400 and insurance on that was eye watering enough at the time, the new system has a similar effect but it means that you have to take further tests as well which I don’t think is that fair.

Personally, I find the thought of an 18 year old with no road experience being able to drive an artic more scary than being able to ride a motorcycle with 100 bhp. Not because they would want to try and zoom around but more because it’s very easy to make mistakes on the road, particularly when you’re new to using it and even more so in something that big that weighs 40+ tonnes.

Back before the changes there was practically no one who passed their test at 18 and jumped straight on a superbike anyway

well that is not how i remember it ... there was a group of 18-20 year olds ... probably still remember their names....

who had 1 litre bikes .. and insurance was not an obstacle ..

Back before the changes there was practically no one who passed their test at 18 and jumped straight on a superbike anyway

well that is not how i remember it ... there was a group of 18-20 year olds ... probably still remember their names....

who had 1 litre bikes .. and insurance was not an obstacle ..

I definitely remember it being a huge obstacle, it was quite a while back now but insurance on an RVF 400 was £1100 ish for me after passing!, I got a couple of years NCB under my belt before moving up to a 600, couldn’t get quoted on a 1000, which was a shame because I loved the first R1s :D .

Hope he's ok, the time of the updates is late evening, and he's been on some wacky drugs lately for his medical conditions.. all seems a little rash so hoping he's ok...

He's been active on other websites since whatever it was happened so I expect he's fine.

Edit: In fact, he's on-line elsewhere now - maybe on here too but he hides his activity so...

WTF you done 6

Seriously though. What have I missed

I'm innocent Neil...

I dont know what the fook is going on ..... I've got a good alibi for what and when any way :D

I was up North shitting in sinks ...