DIY Mc panniers & THE LAW??

AstroDight

Hello everyone. Ive just made this account as I have a pressing question on the legality of producing DIY Bike stuffs.

Ima college student and I have a project to do where I need to produce from start to finish documenting all the way anything I want. I've chosen to make a rack and pannier set for my Honda Varadero 125XL. I need to know if this is legal, im sure it is.. but my course director wont trust my word so I bring the question to the community. Thanks guys.

I mean the bike has got racks and panniers on the market so its not like the bike wasnt designed for it and it looks like it would be easy enough to lift the exisiting top rack and places side racks and refasten the top back on. Ive seen plently of videos and pictures of others making there own for there own bikes, but like ya said i dont want to find its unvalaid for insurance and there might be regulations and alosorts, so im on the fense atm.

I know of a chap who makes (or used to make) bespoke Aluminium panniers for the BMW GS.. might be an idea sending him an email as he should know the answer.

[email protected]

R1100GS_panniers.jpg

Where do I find this fellow? exuse me if this isnt the correct way to reply to posts??

I know of a chap who makes (or used to make) bespoke Aluminium panniers for the BMW GS.. might be an idea sending him an email as he should know the answer.

[email protected]

R1100GS_panniers.jpg

Where do I find this fellow? exuse me if this isnt the correct way to reply to posts??

That is an email address. You do know how to send emails don’t you.

Ive always had panniers on my bikes.. and never, not once have I been asked who made them.. or if the had been homologised.

basic rule of thumb.. be damn sure they are securely fitted to the bike and there is zero chance of them coming off and thereby causing another road user to have an accident. aside from that.. my bet is there is zero problem with designing your own. Do companies like GIVI go through the rigamrole of having their panniers homologised for every make and model of bike? and what of non specific panniers... that fit a multitude of bikes. how is it even possible to homologise them? The idea is just a smidge ludicrous.

[email protected]

R1100GS_panniers.jpg

That is an email address. You do know how to send emails don’t you.

Aha i noticed the email after i sent a reply "face palms"

Ive always had panniers on my bikes.. and never, not once have I been asked who made them.. or if the had been homologised.

basic rule of thumb.. be damn sure they are securely fitted to the bike and there is zero chance of them coming off and thereby causing another road user to have an accident. aside from that.. my bet is there is zero problem with designing your own. Do companies like GIVI go through the rigamrole of having their panniers homologised for every make and model of bike? and what of non specific panniers... that fit a multitude of bikes. how is it even possible to homologise them? The idea is just a smidge ludicrous.

But GIVI is a reputable and well known manufacturer of panniers and other stuff. I willing to bet that an insurance company will look for any reason to not payout. And, even if not homologised there must limits to the size and weight of such panniers as recommended by each manufacturer.

I doubt there would be a problem if you stick to the "load properly secured" rule

No sharp edges ....blah blah

Weve all seen home made bikes that frankly should not be allowed on the road,

But part of your project is to explore (as you are doing) the legality of it all

We want pics of the finished project though :)

And hopefully the whole process

:D