jury duty

so I've been called to past judgement on the scum of society, a bit like batman I think but just for a short time in February, and I probably won't wear a cape, but will wear my pants over my trousers.. So who here has done jury duty and how did you find it?

Really hoping it doesn't go past the ten days as I have stuff on in March and wotnot. My bet is its a lot of sitting around doing bugger all waiting.

On a side note anyone know if there is bike parking at Snaresbrook crown court?

I did jury service at Nottingham..............1st week was boring....Sat in jury waiting room for hours on end......

then get taken to a court room and see if I was selected for that case......nope.....back to the waiting room.

Got selected for a case in the 2nd week and was told it could be a 10 week case......my employer was not happy when I told him.

At the end of the 2nd week the jury I was on was discharged, as one of the jury had spoken to a relative of one of the accused.

The waiting room was very boring but in the court with all the evidence presented was fascinating.

I did it, got off one murder trail because it was a local nutter and I was warned it wasn't a safe place to be.

Second was another murder where some one was stabbed so brutally that we were shown entry and exit woods of the person and the floor boards was truly horrific.

Then got put on minor crimes which was a joke for all the wrong reasons

I have never done jury duty, but I have spent plenty of time in the witness box, doing court duty (police presence in the courtroom as security) or dock duty (sitting with the accused when they appear from custody) and even as an accused!

I've done it multiple times for various different crimes.

Lots of sitting around waiting to see if you will be picked. - take a book or Powerbank for your phone and be prepared to sit in a tiny room with 40+ other people.

Once you are picked it becomes a bit easier and more interesting. Most cases are done within a few days. If it is projected to go on longer they normally advice you at the beginning how many days they think it will last so you can rearrange work. Longest I have been on was 2 weeks (loads of evidence and witnesses).

Done it once.

On the first day (this was a time before iPhones - 2006 i think as i had some right pony Nokia) got the hump waiting around all day to be picked.

Next day went to the doctor and got a weeks sick note, rang the Jury service number and the court to let them know. Court said no problem just bring the sick note next week. Great!

When i went back the next week got put on a ridiculous drug dealing case that we found not guilty and that was it.

Went back to work who were none the wiser that i’d blown a sickie for a week as far as i could tell.

My advice: go sick and have a free week off work.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finished today. First week just sat in a room for two days waiting then was dismissed for the rest of the week so went back to work. Back at court Monday, picked for a jury. Case ran all week, allegation of a sexual assault. All round not very nice. found guilty today. Mentally exhausted, bottle of rum purchased. One person there I think didn't get a trial at all just sat around for nearly two weeks

Edited by goat

Errr not being funny goat but I'm pretty sure you should not be posting about the actual case?

Case is finished, verdict passed and sentencing complete. Nothing can be influenced now so free to talk about it

Errr not being funny goat but I'm pretty sure you should not be posting about the actual case?

Case is finished, verdict passed and sentencing complete. Nothing can be influenced now so free to talk about it

OK...... Carry on :lol:

I get the exhaustion bit, I was glad to be back home when I did mine long time as go.

It's a lot of concentration, making sure you take everything in. To me a huge amount rested on getting the decision right and very difficult to switch off from it in the evening. Interesting to see the judicial process though so overall glad I did it but not in a rush to do it again.

I get the exhaustion bit, I was glad to be back home when I did mine long time as go.

It's a lot of concentration, making sure you take everything in. To me a huge amount rested on getting the decision right and very difficult to switch off from it in the evening. Interesting to see the judicial process though so overall glad I did it but not in a rush to do it again.

Details of sexual assault .. Was there any small animals such as chinchillas ...or dwarfs involved ?

Details of sexual assault .. Was there any small animals such as chinchillas ...or dwarfs involved ?

A marmoset, a hosepipe, a bag of rohipnol, listerine, latex and a large group of mud wrestling, hairy Inuits.

A marmoset, a hosepipe, a bag of rohipnol, listerine, latex and a large group of mud wrestling, hairy Inuits.

Don't encourage the Six :lol: