Fixing the Renault

leener

Hi, all.

It’s been quiet on the “replace valve seals” thread, that turned into a full rebuild. Unfortunately, no steps further forward on that.

The effin Peugeot died on the M5. Cam belt snapped.

So, I have another car that needed some work to get running properly.

The first issue was that it had to be bumped to start it.

This was why...

697A0749-905E-4F52-807C-07AFC98CCDEC.thumb.jpeg.fb0fffc6f13c9e0e313bbeab09bed08a.jpeg

Also, coolant was brown and nasty.

Car had been sat and used once a week and covered 35k. Still had original cam belt and head gasket, and was made in 96.

It ran, but I decided to give attention to the head gasket, water pump, cam belt, and starter motor.

I did the whole lot.

0C046F0A-6DDB-4A24-BCB5-3F1250FC3E24.thumb.jpeg.353e50ab648396f1593b93ec2c64e6b3.jpeg

Torqued it down, got timing set exactly as it came off, bolted it all, plugged everything I could see back in, added new coolant, and turned the key.

No spark!

Checked leads, all ok. Checked coil pack... that’s ok, but there’s absolutely no power getting up into the coils from the loom.

Then, there’s this hanging around and outputting 5v...

96CFFDBC-9ADD-46AE-A258-752DA8A0D56F.thumb.jpeg.9874219db3819b3a2a69185657015b15.jpeg

No idea where it is supposed to go, but earlier photos seem to show it just resting on the crank case.

I checked all the fuses and now I’m just stumped. Any help is appreciated.

That looks a bit clean to just have been hanging about.

It might come to you later. I once rebuilt a cavalier engine (after blowing it up) and wondered why it would start and rev it but it wouldn't idle. Just as I was getting some kip I realised I left a vacuum hose off the manifold. Popped it on in the morning and it ran like a champ.

It might come to you later.

Hopefully it will.

I have spent many hours getting this job done just to have something to get me to work. I had this car sat on the drive as an emergency backup, with ten months MOT. I checked and found that the last owner is deceased and the mileage is genuine. There is a RAC rescue card in there, which expired in March 1998.

The bodywork isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty good for the age.

205B3FEE-82B0-40D9-B7BB-EF095CE2034F.thumb.jpeg.0ae55c3c87c65de1821d8c43ea298f4d.jpeg

Somebody suggested that I try the fuel kill switch, check the battery terminals, and others, which I’ll do tomorrow.

I literally have used all my new skills from the Triumph thread to do this mammoth job.

I knew nothing until you, Megawatt, SlowBusa, and a few others helped me understand the logic and method to combustion engines.

I don’t want to give up on this. It’s a cheap hack of a car, which I am determined to get running.

Besides, I can’t keep working from home.

Solved.

The immobiliser was the problem.

But, alas! A new problem...

As soon as you turn the key, the damned thing revs up to full throttle, which is strange, as I put everything back just as it was... didn't I? :scratch:

At least I know that I have successfully changed the cam belt, water pump, head gasket, and starter motor.

If you asked me what any of these were, before I joined this forum, I would have drawn you a picture of a donkey standing on a bucket.

Nearly there!

Sounds like a cable problem

Going to check in a little while. Either valve, intake isn't done up enough, stuck cable, or throttle body valve stuck.

If I get this running then this is the biggest mechanical job I have ever undertaken.

And, if anyone asks me to do any work on their car then I shall whip them with my broken cam belt.

Nope. It was just me being a numpty. It pooled petrol into the cylinders while trying to start it. I left it for a while to drain away. Good job I'm changing the oil soon.

The only issue now is that the exhaust gasket is toast, which I thought I could get away with. It was falling apart in my hands, and i still decided to reuse it. Oh, well. At least it's running! Even if it is a little noisy.

Great news.

Can you still do us the picture of the donkey on a bucket though please?

download.thumb.jpeg.a8973374611dcadc9dddb36e05c18d10.jpeg

This was the closest we could get as I have lost my pencils, and my little donkey doesn't do tricks.

Good news is that I have just made it into work in the car that I did all that horrific work to. It runs perfectly.

The exhaust gasket was the worst bit, because I forgot to change it, before putting to head back on. So I was underneath the car all Saturday, trying to slacken off exhaust bolts all over, with virtually no space to get a spanner in, and trying desperately to get enough clearance to fit the new gasket in.

No more mechanic work for me. Never again...

Oh wait... The Triumph! :crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this:

By the time I had posted the last one ^ I had got the exhaust gasket on, torqued up the bolts for the intake and exhaust, then insured and filled it with petrol.

The oil was changed and my missus had to get the oil filter off, because for some bloody reason I couldn't shift it :evil: .

Anyway, that mammoth of a job turned out to be a total success!

I have passed 1000 miles since the job and it keeps going perfectly. Quite possibly the healthiest and quietest engine that I have ever had.

It goes to show that even little me with no prior mechanical ability only needs to listen to the experts (on this Forum) and you can do even the biggest jobs by yourself... And with the help of a young lady who is more competent with an oil filter wrench :oops: .

Getting stuck in on the Triumph got me to this, and I couldn't have done all this without the guys on this forum :thumb: