Hard drive data recovery companies

MarkW

Morning all!

I have a hard drive that I removed from a laptop about six years ago after accidentally killing it with a mug of tea. I've been meaning to see if anyone could retrieve the files off it ever since, but as none of them were critical I never got around to it. I've just come across it again in a drawer, and thought I should pull my finger out and get it done.

Can anyone recommend a good data retrieval company, and is a light historical poaching in tea likely to pose any problems?

Morning all!

I have a hard drive that I removed from a laptop about six years ago after accidentally killing it with a mug of tea. I've been meaning to see if anyone could retrieve the files off it ever since, but as none of them were critical I never got around to it. I've just come across it again in a drawer, and thought I should pull my finger out and get it done.

Can anyone recommend a good data retrieval company, and is a light historical poaching in tea likely to pose any problems?

If you shut it down straight away it might be fine. Also a date recovery company can be mighty expensive.

First thing first, buy yourself a caddy for it and plug it into an existing machine via USB. If it works you just avoided hundreds to thousands of pounds.

Cheers buddy, but it's toast unfortunately: I had my brother try it in his drive caddy at the time and he said it needed professional help, so I'm on the hunt for a reputable company that won't break the bank!

:crybaby:

There are companies that can recover information from hard drives that have had some sort of spillage or impact. I recently read about one that handled a hard drive that someone's cat had pee'd on. They're out there but I'm sure they're going to be expensive. It may also only end up as only recovering a percentage of what's on the disk.

I can find some companies in LinkedIn and give you their names if you wish?

If you can buy exact same model second hand you could try swapping the disk platter into the working drive or swapping the electronics over onto the dead drive which ever is easiest, data recovery is expensive when your down to removing disks from the drive and scanning them, i have swapped control boards over before and that worked but i'm going back 15years at least

If you can buy exact same model second hand you could try swapping the disk platter into the working drive or swapping the electronics over onto the dead drive which ever is easiest, data recovery is expensive when your down to removing disks from the drive and scanning them, i have swapped control boards over before and that worked but i'm going back 15years at least

As this... I'd do electronics though don't touch platters unless you have a sterile room

Platters should have been sealed and safe against spillage you've just likely trashed electronics

errr no i did this 15years ago for a mate, didn't have sterile room, just a cup of tea and a white cloth on the table for when i dropped the screws i could hardly see, drive was already presumed dead, second drive cost 30quid took about 30mins to strip put back together, got drive running, cloned it onto another un touched drive with ghost expanded it into an unmatched drive too if i remember and all was good.

lol just re read your post my bad thought you ment i had trashed electronics dohh, yea its prob only control side fooked

lol just re read your post my bad thought you ment i had trashed electronics dohh, yea its prob only control side fooked

Yeah meant OP lol

Know it is doable and have done myself but it is a ticking time bomb as soon as platters exposed to air they are just self destructing and need to get an image off asap... So if can be done another way first always recommend that.

As this... I'd do electronics though don't touch platters unless you have a sterile room

So what you're saying is that I need to find someone who has done it before, possibly who has a bit of time on his hands but with full use of his fingers, and with access to a sterile working environment like... oh I don't know... say an operating theatre? :D

So what you're saying is that I need to find someone who has done it before, possibly who has a bit of time on his hands but with full use of his fingers, and with access to a sterile working environment like... oh I don't know... say an operating theatre? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walked right into that one

Walked right into that one

Or hobbled into it at any rate... :lol:

So, it's agreed then: I post the knackered drive to you, you take a bad tumble on your next trip to the toilet, and then resurrect the data off it in the operating theatre whilst they're re-pinning your leg. :thumb:

Just PM me the hospital and ward number when you're ready... :lol:

Also freezing helps, put in a bag and place in freezer for a bit

Is that what a morgue is for?

Stick you in a bag in a freezer to see if you work again :lol:

Lol you guys have a whole thread available to make fun of my stupidity!