CAT N and DVLA

Phooey

Nearly there ... I have discovered that my bike was a CAT N write off. Now that it is almost ready to ride again, I did some investigating and discovered that it does not require a VIC inspection nor MOT but I shall get the MOT for my piece of mind.

I cannot find any info regarding notification of being put back on the road to the DVLA though. Can anyone verify either way?

Also, in your experience does a CAT N (previously CAT D) increase insurance much?

I have never... not once been asked during the Q&A about the write off status of my bike.. never. Nor have I volunteered it. which may or may not be naughty. But.. i figure if they dont ask.. why should I tell them. I gave its value as being what I paid for it.. and they never questioned that either. As for increasing the premium.. I have no way to measure this. I would suppose it lowers the premium as the bike will necessarily have a lower value.

A cat D (in old money) is nothing at all.. you can get that just for a bike falling over and cracking a (no longer available) fairing panel. An automatic write off because it cannot be repaired with new parts.

Informing DVLA.. i believe you must do this as they will need to issue a brand new V5. regardless of whether you have the original or not. Maybe contact DVLA to confirm this and they will tell you what part of the form needs to be filled in.. or what to put in any accompanying letter.

Unless a vehicle is involved in an accident that could be attributed to the previous repair not being up to standard they are usually not bothered whether its been a write off, they can stick the reg number in to a database and know full well if its been written off before, so if they don't ask don't worry about it. as said above the only thing its going to do is lower the payout value in the event of a claim.

I've never had any issues with insuring write offs. The only time you need to mention it is when selling it.

But, then most people don't bother mentioning these important details when selling, even though that they are fully aware of it.

I've never had any issues with insuring write offs. The only time you need to mention it is when selling it.

But, then most people don't bother mentioning these important details when selling, even though that they are fully aware of it.

In that case its the buyers fault for being a tight wad and not getting a HPI report. There is nowhere that the priciple Caveat Emptor is more important than when buying a used bike. £9.99 isnt such a huge investment when spending £100s or even £1000s and not just for ruling out any possible write-off status.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago, I had to apply to the DVLA to get a 'write off' back on the road. I ended up with a new (age related) Registration and V5!

Although MoT was not (initially) required, I had to get the bike 'inspected' in order to 'prove' it was roadworthy and had been repaired (rebuilt) to the correct standards for the UK.

Not too complicated or too expensive but as to insurance - No issues there at all.

:cheers: