Oh Dear

Gerontious

After 16 years of retirement (and recently.. increasing boredom/dissatisfaction.) I've had an interview for a job!!

Interview was yesterday and today a phone call.

Apparently I impressed them enough that its moving on to the next stage!!

eek!!

Working with vulnerable Adults.. in this case Severely Autistic men. So.. a few hoops to jump through as yet.. references and an enhanced DBS check.

In a previous life I worked in retail.. finally as a store manager, so this is a big change of direction.. completely different. But.. perhaps far more satisfying.

just a tad excited.

Thanks.. I was lucky to be able to give up work at my 40th birthday and wondered if this considerable gap would be an automatic bar. But apparently not.. the money isn't fantastic though thats not an issue for me.. the best thing really is the workplace (a seeming normal house) is just under a mile and a half away.. so I wont need to use the motorbike. (I'm considering a scooter) though for most of the year I'll cycle and in the worst weather.. its a fairly easy walk.

The enhanced DBS check doesn't seem to be problematic. Im a real goody two shoes. I actually gasped at some of the crimes they look for. I may have occasionally cursed the Channel Tunnel train.. but Ive never hijacked one. Nor have I ever threatened anyone (not even Theresa May) with that Nuclear device I keep under the stairs. (its only a dinky little one.. but it does give off a nice blue/green glow which saves on electric)

The ball starts rolling properly on Monday.

After 16 years of retirement (and recently.. increasing boredom/dissatisfaction.) I've had an interview for a job!!

Interview was yesterday and today a phone call.

Apparently I impressed them enough that its moving on to the next stage!!

eek!!

Working with vulnerable Adults.. in this case Severely Autistic men. So.. a few hoops to jump through as yet.. references and an enhanced DBS check.

In a previous life I worked in retail.. finally as a store manager, so this is a big change of direction.. completely different. But.. perhaps far more satisfying.

just a tad excited.

Well, This isn't the content I was expecting when I opened this thread!

You know i've done similar work Tony, I am super impressed and very very proud :-)

Props to you big man! (And don't forget to put your leave request in!)

And don't forget to put your leave request in!

Already have.. it was asked at yesterdays interview and WILL be honoured. (policy for new starters.)

so not a worry. all sorted.

Enhanced DBS check is pretty straightforward, I must have about four of them at the moment as they aren't transferable between jobs.

Due to recent changes in the way DBS checks are 'managed' - They are transferable (if you 'sign up' to the process using the on-line form).

:cheers:

Enhanced DBS check is pretty straightforward, I must have about four of them at the moment as they aren't transferable between jobs.

Have to take issue with this I'm afraid! :lol:

The old CRB checks weren't transferable the new DBS including enhanced are!

My Mrs, Susieque, is a Kumon instructor, she has to have the enhanced check, as do all her staff.

Provided that each employer is registered with the updates service, the employee simply gives their DBS certificate number to their new employer

and it can be used by different employers.

EG: 1 of Sue's staff works at a school so has the enhanced check, she and Sue both registered with the update service,

Sue no longer has to pay for another check to be done. :lol:

With quite a high staff turnover this saves her a fair bit :lol:

Have to take issue with this I'm afraid! :lol:

The old CRB checks weren't transferable the new DBS including enhanced are!

My Mrs, Susieque, is a Kumon instructor, she has to have the enhanced check, as do all her staff.

Provided that each employer is registered with the updates service, the employee simply gives their DBS certificate number to their new employer

and it can be used by different employers.

EG: 1 of Sue's staff works at a school so has the enhanced check, she and Sue both registered with the update service,

Sue no longer has to pay for another check to be done. :lol:

With quite a high staff turnover this saves her a fair bit :lol:

Not entirely the case - it depends on the organisation. Which is why I have four because every organisation I'm involved with won't accept transferred DBS checks.

Thank you for all the encouraging/supportive comments and thanks.

Im not worried about the DBS check.. although I made light of it.. many of the crimes its designed to flag up are incredibly horrible (vile in the extreme) though hidden behind careful legalese. I think I 'get' why some organisations would demand a fresh.. up to date one. An abundance of caution.

During the interview there was one section of questions all about "Abuse"... questions I was completely unprepared for and are firmly outside of my experience.. So, in my mind I substituted the word "Abuse" with "Bullying" and gave answers based on that, which seemed to go down well.

Anyway.. I was told to expect some emails on Monday and so I'll have to wait and see what they have to say.

Good luck with it. I used to work with a group of volunteers from a charity working with young people with learning disabilities, including a number of teenagers with severe autism. They were by far one of the best and most rewarding groups of volunteers I've worked with, I'm sure you will enjoy working with the group.

I hope all goes in your favour Tony.

Sounds like a position that will give you a focus and also be very rewarding. I’m sure you’ll meet some interesting people along the way.

You’ll enjoy your holidays even more now.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to make of this.. but, I was told that the enhanced Disclosure and Barring service check would take weeks.. up to 4.

I just checked online and mine was completed in 2 days :shock: has been printed and despatched. I'm assuming this will arrive through the letterbox Tuesday on.

So.. all being well I should get a start date fairly soon

Its arrived,, and as expected. though I did open it with some trepidation. The certificate is "Perfect".

Police records of CONVICTION,CAUTIONS, REPRIMANDS AND WARNINGS - NONE RECORDED.

DBS Adults' Barred list information. - NONE RECORDED.

Other relevant information disclosed at the Chief Police Officer(s) discretion. - NONE RECORDED.

DBS Children's barred list information - Not Requested.

Information from the list held under section 142 of the Education Act 2002 - Not Requested.

So.. thats that hurdle dealt with and (as soon as the rain stops) I'll pop over to the head office and deliver it to the HR person. And hopefully get answers as to how things are progressing and what happens next.

Just as aside.. It would have been nice if they had requested those last two.. relevant to Children. even though this particular job doesn't involve them.

My son is autistic as is my step brother. Autism is fascinating, although organisations like the national autistic society want to "cure" autism. May sound weird but i wouldnt have my son any other way, i wouldnt want him "cured", hes not disabled, just different. Anyway, im rambling.

Its admirable work youll be doing, and it truly does make a difference to their lives.

Good on ya!