I now understand why puppy farms exist!

onesea

My misses and I are looking for a fairly young dog (not bitch) up to 15-20kg water friendly we sail, not to shedding as we misses has mild allergy. Both of us have lived around dogs as pets etc, I have had my own dogs in the past (X-wife took them).

Problem is we both work, I work shifts she works 9-5 most days. The dog would be left on its "own" most weeks for :

1 day a week 9 hours,

3 days a week 5 hours,

3 days not at all,

We have 1 neighbour who will pop in loves and knows dogs but cannot look after, also handy with training them as well.

We are happy to have rescue but we are not good enough for rescue centers. Not home enough, sailing the dog might get wet, I have not even mentioned the idea of it going in a Tank Bag!

Every rescue center the same 5-10 e-mails explaining how we are not the owners they want, we give them good reasons we are then no reply... Some of the emails get quite condescending. The way some of them are run it looks like a business to me.

Call about a puppy NEVER a problem no home visits, no questions about work etc etc.

I am against is spending £1??? for a "pedigree" dog normally with the name "Poo" in it, I am not interested its an over priced mongrel. Plus if dogs are like their owners I have yet to meet a Poodle owner that I have thought much off, kind of puts me off!

Seems best advice I have had is wait a whilst watch "gumtree" "Preloved" and "pets4homes" watch for the private person who is desperate to get rid... Problem is you have to act fast they go quick...

Me and future Mrs H are in the process of looking for a dog, with the intention of picking one up at end of July.

We've opted for an English Cocker (Working) Spaniel. It's as small as I want to go for a dog.

I have colleagues who have a terrier cross dog and she, since it was a puppy, left it at home 9-5 Monday to Friday and the dog is now 2 years old and appears to be totally fine. Although in my personal opinion I dont agree with this.

Dogs left alone to long are likely to chew stuff out of boredom and anxiety.

I would say it comes down to the dog breed, its temperament and how long you will be with them. Also how much time you'd get to the train the dog to to take to life on a boat and at home let alone a motorbike. I seem to recall a video (maybe shown on here?) where someone touring had a topbox with a harness designed to house a dog during travel.

In regards to finding dogs, I'm primarily using "champdogs" who are generally kennel club registered full time breeders and are able to show long bloodline of their dogs. They also tend to health test the dogs and provide other helpful stuff as well as caring about their dogs.

You can find dogs at decent prices, I've browsed preloved a dnd pets4homes too. I just look for Kennel club and bealth testing, as mentioned.

Your set up about how lobg that dogs are left for doesn't seem to be too bad, and I've known worse for sure.

No idea if any of this hekps, but we've been goin through the same process.

I was told to buy the breeder, not the dog :thumb:

Personally I would never buy a dog! rescue every time!

We got through the vetting because Sue works from home.

Have you looked at Greyhounds/ Lurchers?

Unless young (I am not going to define that) children are involved....

"Because of their thin coats, Greyhounds can get the shivers. If you live in a cold climate, buy a warm coat for your dog to wear in snow or rain.

A Greyhound should never be allowed to run off leash except in a securely fenced area. Greyhounds have a strong prey drive and will take off after a rabbit or squirrel before you even see it."

Read more at http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/greyhound#WYiMF3l5o4Y4R4cG.99

I am not certain with the freedom of the New Forest is the best place for them, we are also not scared of the cold.

markhibberd5 Working cockers are a great choice of dog I had a pair of them, I had them trained up for shooting... Now at different stage of life living with someone else, any cocker would only be compared to my those taken away from me by a divorce.

We did look at a rescue cocker x red setter but sadly it had gone before we could see it.

Rescue Staffy's are easy to find but swimming ability is limited.

Just doing a search for rescue saw one that I thought would work and frankly a puppy farm is really starting look attractive!

I can find a puppy dog with less baggage for the £200 they are asking for a rescue.... And probably get a 10K loan for a an expensive "designer doggy" with less paper work. This is similar for every dog you apply for on there forms so you can even make "Doggy CV" I can understand why the irresponsible/ impatient go for other options...

See form that follows...

Adoption Enquiry

ADOPTION PROCESS - If homecheck is a pass and the humans and the dog get along.

1) Enquiry Stage

2) Meet and Greet

3) Homecheck

4) Adoption

5) Posthomecheck ( approx 3 months after the dog is adopted)

Have you applied to any other rescue than us in the last 6 months?

If yes to which rescue? ( please note we consider all applications on an individual basis, even if you have been turned down by another rescue please let us know)

Thank you for contacting xxxxx Please complete the form below.

By taking a little time in the initial stages to answer these questions as accurately as possible, this enables us and yourself to make a more informed choice/decision upon which dog/cat is best suited for your family and you for them.

This inturn will mean a Happy Ever After, truly will be just that ....

Thank you

Has anyone from xxx explained the full adoption procedure and what is required in the process?

Type of pet you are interested in adopting

Was there a dog/cat you was interested in? If so please tell us there name

Size of dog you believe would suit your family

Age of dog you think would suit your family

Gender of dog you think would suit your family

Castrated/Sterilised or not?

Length of Fur

Energy Level

Kid Friendly?

Dog Friendly?

Cat/Small Animal friendly?

Would you consider a wonky dog? These are dogs with disabilities of varying kinds. 3 legs, 1 ear, blind etc

Level of training you would prefer the dog to already have?

ABOUT YOU

In reference to the Age/Mobility/Fitness/Occupation questions. Please be totally honest when answering these, you do not have to answer these questions but would help us and you too if you did. There are no trick questions within this form, we do not and never have discriminated against Age, mobility or income.

You are as individual as the dog/cat you are hoping to adopt, these questions are purely to assertain whether the dog/cat you are interested in/we recommend is as right for you as you should be for him/her.

Name

First Name

Last Name

Address

Street Address

Street Address Line 2

City

County/Region

Postal Code

Country

Home Telephone / Landline number

Mobile Tel Number

ex: [email protected]

Facebook Profile Link (This allows us to connect you with the team or foster of the dog you are interested in quickly and easily)

Please copy and paste your Facebook profile url here

Occupation

Your age

Your mobility

Fitness Level

Where you live

Type of property you live in

Owned or Rented?

If rented do you require landlords permission to have pets?

How many people live in your home?

Are there children who live in your home or visit regulary? if so please tell us how many and there ages

YOUR LEVEL OF PET OWNERSHIP AND EXPERIENCE

Please answer these questions as accurately as possible. Please note that we do not discriminate and in fact welcome experienced and new pet owners alike.

These questions purely are to enable us to know whether more advice and support is required by us to give you, especially during the first months of adoption.

Please list all resident/past pets owned in the last 5 years and there current status

Please enter your Veterinarians contact details below

Please confirm below if you give us permission to contact them

Please tell us below how many hours per day a pet would be left alone unsupervised in your home

What reason/s if any would you give a pet up to be rehomed or euthanised?

Are you aware it can take anything from 2 weeks up to 1 year for a new pet to settle in a home?

Are you willing to allow a new pet time to settle and work through any problems/anxieties they may have?

Are you aware of what the terms food/territory aggression or resource guarding mean?

Are you For/Experienced in or against Crate training?

Are you aware that some breeds require more vet care than others and are willing to provide the vet care/costs that is needed in the future?

Please tell us below how you intend to ensure your pet is covered for any medical/treatments/vaccinations in the future

Please tell us below how you would introduce your new pet to your home/resident pet/family/friends

If any problems/anxieties arose would you?

Please tell us below what you do or intend to do with your pets/pet when/if you go on holiday etc

Please sign and date below. This confirms the information you have given within this application is as accurate and true to the best of your knowledge as possible and you understand that if any information is found to have been deliberately misleading then XXXX have the right sieze the animal you may adopt without any form of refund of adoption costs.

Signature

Date of signing

If you were in Spain they'd turn up outside your door and never leave.

Spanish dogs search out Brits (wherever they are) to give them homes.

If you can make that a Spanish Water Dog we would be delighted..

Westie - Covers all the points you raise.

Wood Green Animal Shelter takes 'bids' for dogs - You might get lucky.

We got ours as a puppy from an advert - Met the owner - met the puppies 'mum' - Saw the conditions they were homed in - result: We bought the puppy and still have him some 8 years on.

:thumb:

Loads of rottweilers up for rescue. My last rescue animal was a rescue rottie. They make fantastic pets but they are a large breed and the young ones can be a challenging handful which is why so many are given up.

Terroirs are high in the list.

Rottys would be in the list my missus loves them and lived with a friend. It used to tell her off if she has not been there often enough when she moved out.

Sadly they do not fall in the can be picked up by one..

poodles were originally for water hunting dogs. may be suitable.

However the only real choice is a lurcher, theyre great dogs. Theyll have a good run when theyre out but when theyre home all they do is sleep.

Plus theyll catch you your tea if you want them too. My dogs feed me well :D :D

poodles were originally for water hunting dogs. may be suitable.

However the only real choice is a lurcher, theyre great dogs. Theyll have a good run when theyre out but when theyre home all they do is sleep.

Plus theyll catch you your tea if you want them too. My dogs feed me well :D :D

Poodles sorry dogs are like there owners and I cannot think of a poodle owner I am particularly fond of.

Living in the New Forest a dog catching my tea is likely to get me fed what ever they feed folk in jail... You have not seen the effort they go to to preserve every one of god creatures, if they could get the elderly animals life support machines I am sure the locals would fund it..

Well I am in trouble now.. He came from a rescue and I am not certain how to fit him on the bike :lol:

Some Beagle some pointer and some others as well we think.... He's a Mongrel :up:

34307723_10214596221672124_9143137237402124288_o.thumb.jpg.a815c48fdbc74989c757637296b2f961.jpg

big feet and big ears... is he a pup and still growing into them or fully grown and bit out of proportion?? either way, he looks like a great doggo that's lucky to find a great new home :cheers:

big feet and big ears... is he a pup and still growing into them or fully grown and bit out of proportion?? either way, he looks like a great doggo that's lucky to find a great new home :cheers:

He's 4 months but hoping the beagle in him is dominant big paws and big ears or he will never get on the bike...

• 3 weeks later...

i'd love a dog at my own place, but it'd be forever on its own with my being at work. so i deemed it unfair, so i have to go visit my parents to enjoy their dogs when i feel like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs Beefy is starting a new job soon which will mean we'll always have someone at home :).

So we put our name down for rescuing a puppy :D, not 100% sure I want one yet but the wait can be length and we can always say no if we get a phone call.

Edited by Westbeef

That’s nice someone’s always there keeping the homefires burning- not a particularly appropriate saying in this weather but you get the idea. It goes down really well with them if you’ve already puppy proofed your home, looked up the local training schools and had a look at the vets near you and have reasons why you like them. Buying a puppy book or two always goes down a storm, reading them is even better, the modern books have some useful stuff in them as dog training has moved on a lot in recent years. These things would pick you out as a preferable placement for a pup rather than just another person on a list. Let us know when superpup arrives 👍

That’s nice someone’s always there keeping the homefires burning- not a particularly appropriate saying in this weather but you get the idea. It goes down really well with them if you’ve already puppy proofed your home, looked up the local training schools and had a look at the vets near you and have reasons why you like them. Buying a puppy book or two always goes down a storm, reading them is even better, the modern books have some useful stuff in them as dog training has moved on a lot in recent years. These things would pick you out as a preferable placement for a pup rather than just another person on a list. Let us know when superpup arrives 👍

Well the house is already baby proof, so I guess that's at least half way to puppy proof :lol: and we're spending the time doing a bit of reading up on training them and what's involved. We had a form to fill out but that was really about our living arrangements, and what kind of dog we want and how much time we can afford to look after the pup. Nothing about what preperation we're doing unfortunately. However we're doing the reading now and nothing is putting me off too much yet :) . We put down a labrador or similar breed as a preference, but honestly I think I'd be open to almost any breed :lol: