Will you be replaced with a robot at work?

Throttled

Do you do a job that means you will likely be replaced with a robot in the next ten years or so?

I do meals on wheels deliveries. I can see me in ten years time, being driven from drop to drop by a driverless car, programmed with all the stops and taking the most efficient route. It will be some time before I can be replaced as we go in to do a welfare check and often plate and serve the food. I am sure that could also be done by a robot, but it will be longer than ten years away.

I used to write robotic control software for a biotech company.. robots are pretty stupid things. I think there is alot of scaremongering about robots taking our jobs but in reality the technology needs to come on a lot from there it is currently before humans will be totally replaced..

But fear not!! If we go down the route that all humans will be replaced, then unjversal income will need to be introduced paying everyone a fixed amount of money each month regardless of if they work or not... Sounds pretty good to me - get paid for doing nothing and let the robots goto work :cheers:

I do meals on wheels deliveries. I can see me in ten years time, being driven from drop to drop by a driverless car

Wont happen seeing as a hot meal is only a part of the service you provide

Some of them must really look forward to seeing a friendly face every day......they cant chat to a robot........although I do tell my Roomba its a dick sometimes

I write software. I've written software to control robots in the past.

I used to think my job was safe, but now I'm not so sure. This made me change my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VN56jQMWM. This is so far beyond the kind of situations that computers have been able to deal with up to now. And although my job is safe for now, it won't be long before computers are doing it, with just high-level direction from (a very few) people.

I already fix robots, so I think I'm safer than some :lol:

Until the robots can fix themselves 😂

Terminator.....

Have you seen what happens when a 3d printer gets confused? :lol:

3D-Printing-Fails-Model-Monster.thumb.jpg.2b92aec6415aee1d1b7d3591b0ed71cc.jpg

I write software.

Same. I can imagine that some scripting can be written by a clever enough AI in the future, but designing and implementing full solutions to a business - probably never.

I get the fun job of also cleaning up the mess and dealing with the crap from bad data being pumped into our systems (all written in-house).

People are the drivers of the machines, and so long as that is the case then mistakes will always be made, software will need writing to handle stupidity and simplify life for the lazy, and we will always have a job.

Definitely not! They would need a robot that can run up and down gantries unplugging and re plugging reefer containers in! God knows even our gantry crane computers can't cope with it. :roll:

People are the drivers of the machines, and so long as that is the case then mistakes will always be made, software will need writing to handle stupidity and simplify life for the lazy, and we will always have a job.

But if those people are replaced by machines...

... software will need writing to handle stupidity and simplify life for the lazy, and we will always have a job.

But if those people are replaced by machines...

Then there will be no stupid or lazy people left (population down from 7.5bn to 4 million hiding in caves) and the machines will exist in a blissful world.

• 3 weeks later...

luckily I'm safe. No computer can train and fly birds of prey and kill pesky gulls and pigeons.

Or safely use poisons.

Although I'm trying to convince work to get me a commercial drone license, that way I can customise it and use it to destroy gull eggs that are inaccessible.

luckily I'm safe. No computer can train and fly birds of prey and kill pesky gulls and pigeons.

Or safely use poisons.

Although I'm trying to convince work to get me a commercial drone license, that way I can customise it and use it to destroy gull eggs that are inaccessible.

A drone killer couldn’t be programmed to kill pesky gulls n pigeons?