B*gger B*gger B*gger

Mickly

Just got a letter from the WM police asking me to confirm I was the rider doing 48 in a 40 limit.

To be fair I remember the van, hidden around a corner parked illegally early on a sunny Sunday morning with no other traffic or people around.

Still, no denying it was me so will I get points or one of the condescending Speed awareness courses run by ex coppers at a huge profit?

Just got a letter from the WM police asking me to confirm I was the rider doing 48 in a 40 limit.

To be fair I remember the van, hidden around a corner parked illegally early on a sunny Sunday morning with no other traffic or people around.

Still, no denying it was me so will I get points or one of the condescending Speed awareness courses run by ex coppers at a huge profit?

First offence (in 5 years)? you'll almost deffo get a course. It's £99 - the same as the 3 point fine and doesn't cost you any points. So, take it. Its boring (but I did actually learn a few things), keep your mouth shut and nod. And never do it again, okay?!

the rules are generally .. in a 40mph zone. over 46 and below 53 and no other offences in the previous 36 months.

They will give you a fairly long lead time.. so you can arrange time off.

It can only effect your insurance if the insurer asks you specifically "Have you attended a speed awareness course?" and you must tell them Yes.

the more usual question about points and convictions.. the answer is No.

It can only effect your insurance if the insurer asks you specifically "Have you attended a speed awareness course?" and you must tell them Yes.

I did one last year, and one of the only bits of semi-interesting information I retained from it is that insurance companies are not supposed to ask about speed awareness courses, and any that do should be reported to the Insurance Ombudsman who want to stamp it out. No idea if this is true or not, but might be worth further investigation...

I did one last year for the heinous crime of doing 56 mph in a 50 zone through the interminable bloody roadworks on the M6, at 2 o'clock in the morning and with - big surprise - absolutely no sign of any work actually being done.

The final question of the day was "What can you change about your driving behaviour to reduce the chances of getting another ticket?" I said "Next time I'll speed on the bike and not in the car - it only has one number plate, so I reduce my chances of getting caught on camera by 50%."

It wasn't the answer they were looking for. :lol:

I did one 4 years ago.

The lasting memory was how absolutely clueless some people are when it comes to the Highway Code and any road sense.

When asked what the speed limit was on a dual carriageway there were a range of answers from 50 to 80 mph, the pain on the lecturers face was hilarious, when he said the correct answer was 70mph unless otherwise indicated, a posh lady demanded to know why she had been nicked for doing 58.

A slide was shown of a small strip of urban road with a couple of junctions, we were then asked to point out the hazards, I started reeling them off, the guy then asked me to give others a chance and that I was obviously a biker.

I brought up the subject of filtering and about half thought it was illegal.

During a break, chatting to the guy, I said I expected he got a lot of bikers on his course, he said not really, bikers tend to stick reasonably well to lower limits, his biggest customer group were school run parents.

Personally I think these courses are great, in no way are they a cash cow to make up for budget shortfalls and probably keeping the top brass and MPs in rent boys and coke.

Oh... Well if there are no rent boys or coke than I won't bother doing one then.

I did one 4 years ago.

The lasting memory was how absolutely clueless some people are when it comes to the Highway Code and any road sense.

When asked what the speed limit was on a dual carriageway there were a range of answers from 50 to 80 mph, the pain on the lecturers face was hilarious, when he said the correct answer was 70mph unless otherwise indicated, a posh lady demanded to know why she had been nicked for doing 58.

A slide was shown of a small strip of urban road with a couple of junctions, we were then asked to point out the hazards, I started reeling them off, the guy then asked me to give others a chance and that I was obviously a biker.

I brought up the subject of filtering and about half thought it was illegal.

During a break, chatting to the guy, I said I expected he got a lot of bikers on his course, he said not really, bikers tend to stick reasonably well to lower limits, his biggest customer group were school run parents.

My favourite moment from my course was when they showed a slide of a road curving off to the right and said "It doesn't matter how good a driver you are, nobody can tell me what's around that corner." I said "I can. My mother's house is around that corner - that building on the left is the Mr Kipling factory in Newcastle-under-Lyme."

:D

Personally I think these courses are great, in no way are they a cash cow to make up for budget shortfalls and probably keeping the top brass and MPs in rent boys and coke.

Oh... Well if there are no rent boys or coke than I won't bother doing one then.

All down to budget cuts!.

I've done two speed awareness courses in my time and i was under the impression (unless it has changed) that you could do one course every three years? (If offered of course)

The first time I did it I sat there, didn't say a word and didn't see any clips or photos of any driving nature. I drank tea whilst eating biscuits the whole time.

On my second occasion I did actually see about 10 mins of footage and did briefly speak to my elderly table sharers but didn't say much.

Never asked about it with insurance and I'd take that over points any day. :thumb:

I did course 3 years ago,38 mph in a 30,thought I was going faster tbh.

Most of the people on it were middle aged,not what i expected.,thought there would be more hoody wearing oiks.

First thing they said was we are not the police,so don't have a go at us.

Tbh it did remind me of a few rules from the HC that I'd forgot,so kind of worthwhile.

It did feature a couple of roads around Northampton that I recognised.

One road through Nobottle village is a 30mph limit,reason they said was a biker went steaming through,into a dip in the middle of the village to find a herd of cow's crossing the road,;needless to say it ended badly for the bike and a cow.

One road through Nobottle village is a 30mph limit,reason they said was a biker went steaming through,into a dip in the middle of the village to find a herd of cow's crossing the road,;needless to say it ended badly for the bike and a cow.

Was he on a Cowasaki? I'm sorry - drink has been taken...

Was he on a Cowasaki? I'm sorry - drink has been taken...

Probably a Mooterbike..

" Most of the people on it were middle aged,not what i expected.,thought there would be more hoody wearing oiks. ".......... The oiks can leap over fences to get away when they are on coke and adrenalin. Either that or they can't be arsed to turn up.

" Most of the people on it were middle aged,not what i expected.,thought there would be more hoody wearing oiks. ".......... The oiks can leap over fences to get away when they are on coke and adrenalin. Either that or they can't be arsed to turn up.

Or the oiks used their mum and dad's names and addresses and the parents just turned up because that's that the official looking letter told them to do!! Haha