Anyone know why fuel is leaking? Street Triple

ultinator

Welcome to TMBF mate...... 8-)

Is the bike in the sun?.....could be just fuel expansion due to the heat. I saw something about not filling the tank fully in this weather so that this doesn't happen.

Welcome to TMBF mate...... 8-)

Is the bike in the sun?.....could be just fuel expansion due to the heat. I saw something about not filling the tank fully in this weather so that this doesn't happen.

This happens on mine when parked in the sun no matter how much fuel is in! Its the fuel vapour turning back to liquid

Greetings and salutations fellow people.

Sorry I was at work and a bit rushed to post so had to be straight to the point!

Thanks for the replies,

Yes it was in the sun, and it’s been hot today. But I was surprised just how much was coming out dripping ?

I will have to see if it happens on the cooler days in that case, I bought it not too long ago and it had been serviced by triumph a few weeks before I got it. I called them to ask if they could have a look at it...

So maybe it will be okay and it is normal ? I would have hoped when fuel hot and expands that it would perhaps push air out of the tank instead of dripping flammable petrol that vaporises beneath a hot bike.

I could smell it happening haha.

So it happens to all bikes in conclusion?

Thanks everyone. Feel better that I shouldn’t combust in my ride home

So the general consensus is that it is normal but it isnt normal?

Should I suspect a hole in the pipe in the tank somewhere? I would like to be able to offer some information to help Triumph dealership locate any potential issues!!

Thanks.

My Aprilias did it, some of my Honda's did it, my Kawasakis did it, but the Yamaha's and Suzuki's I've owned never did it.

Just a breather pipe, its placement will vary from bike to bike, design to design. That's why some people have had it and others haven't.

As long as it's not a big puddle, I wouldn't bother wasting time worrying about it.

Just don't park it in the living room

But it would be out the sun :popcorn:

This may be an urban myth but here goes . During the fuel delivery strike a taxi driver in Coventry decided to stockpile fuel in a wheelie bin in his front room in a terraced house . When the bin melted the resulting deluge of fuel caused a large part of the street to be evacuated as a precaution .

• 2 weeks later...

Both the Triumph and Kawasaki tanks were left on a bench in the back garden while the hot sun beat down. Both were whistling and fuel did drip from the breather pipes. It gave off a lovely aroma. Mmmmm, lovely petrol.