Phone/ Watch / Tech...

onesea

I used to be a bugger for the latest and greatest tech. Anyone remember the P900, N95, N900, S1, S2, (the S3 was not any better IMHO) S4, S5

Then I stopped and have saved £100's literally pay monthly contract no more phone insurance £15 a month phone contract for gigs of data unlimted calls/ texts etc.

I looked at what I was getting and thought why?

So when My S5 died I bought a Kodak Electra for the money it has been brilliant...

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/grade-a1-kodak-ektra-black-5-32gb-3gb-ram-4g-unlocked-sim-free-77484471-1-kektra-seb-eu/version.asp?refsource=LDadwords&gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVXlMjtXS7J3CSRd7Q50w5DlzXrfWWKFXuLmSmx9XFYP0iCTuIhrimRoCh-4QAvD_BwE#/fo_c=2702&fo_k=2c264e781881f9420a11f27f2495c3c1&fo_s=gplauk&refsource=ldadwords&mkwid=sK5gDg8SK_dc&pcrid=290829201100&product=77484471/1/KEKTRA-SEB-EUR-KN&pgrid=57678854639&ptaid=pla-302445744858

I then fancied a smart watch £10 ebay to see if I would want one and it does the job ish.. It has no Push messaging for Whatsapp is a biggy...

So now thinking what tech I always start with wishlist what do I want out of a smartwatch?

- Heart rate/ pedometer (seems standard anyway),

- Push messages for text & WhatsApp,

- Ability to control phones music through watch,

- Maps would be nice,

- Using watch as speaker phone to make calls would be good (hands free? driving does it work?),

- Waterproof,

- controllable with gloves on,

Am I asking to much does anyone else have or use one? WHat are your thoughts. Not interested in Apple whatevers sorry not my thing have tried and dont like, I use my 5 year old android tablet over the Ipad :o

I bought one of these:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-casio-waveceptor-titanium-alarm-chronograph-radio-controlled-watch-wva-m640td-1aer-p99962376.html

It's quite smart in that it never needs setting and is solar powered. I hate watches that you have to piss about with, so a real smart watch would be last on my list.

The trouble with new tech is that it becomes old tech overnight. Not saying that things don't get better over time, but over the years I've seen some "early adopters" come unstuck.......Philips V2000, anyone? :oops:

The trouble with new tech is that it becomes old tech overnight. Not saying that things don't get better over time, but over the years I've seen some "early adopters" come unstuck.......Philips V2000, anyone? :oops:

Not going to disagree on that which is why I am asking if anyone on here has one uses one and how they find it?

I have a fitbit charge 2 which hits a lot of your boxes...

Both heart rate and pedometer as standard (well it is a fitbit) plus sleep tracking which for me seems quite accurate, seen a few complaints online it isn't but depends on what you're after with that.

Push messages are supported for text OR whatsapp, basically you choose on phone app which messaging service you want push messages for, this is a bit weird to me as if it has capability of pushing either then it would technically be possible to push both. Personally 99% of my communication is through whatsapp so have it set on that.

No maps (only basic display) and no phone control, it is "splashproof" so it's fine in the rain but don't jump in swimming pool with it on. Control is via single push button or tapping screen (picks up vibration not touch) so would work with gloves on.

I chose this over other smarter watches for simplistic design, I wear it 24/7 because of sleep tracking so switched to a metal band (£15 from amazon) as standard one does get a bit sweaty. Charges fairly quick and full charge lasts ~4 days, I tend to just shove on charge everytime I have a shower and that is more than enough to not think about charging it.

Also with minimalist design if going out I can shove it on other wrist and wear a normal watch without it looking too much like I am wearing 2 watches.

Previously had a Sony Smartwatch 3 which would do a lot more but I found it to be more gimmicky for me and charging constantly was more annoying.

Betamax is the future

I loved my Nokia comunicator which I still have somewhere, spent a fortune on a 16m USB stick when they first came out, it still works but not really much in the way of capacity these days.

Betamax is the future

I loved my Nokia comunicator which I still have somewhere, spent a fortune on a 16m USB stick when they first came out, it still works but not really much in the way of capacity these days.

My first computer had a massive 25MB hard drive, one of my friends a few years later was the first I knew to go into gigabytes and got a 2GB drive, remember telling him he'll never fill that up :lol:

Now I have 5TB in computer along with 4TB & 6TB NAS drives and still always running out of space :roll:

Oh my lord the more I look the worse it gets!

My £10 one does notifications for text sleep pulse, and now I have tweaked it Whatsapp sort off...

Next is what do I think I want?

- Heart rate/ pedometer (seems standard anyway),

- Push messages for text & WhatsApp - ability to read them.

- Ability to control phones music through watch, - Some do

- Maps would be nice,

- Using watch as speaker phone to make calls,

- Waterproof,

- controllable with gloves on - this is not on market as far as I can see...

- Google pay or similar,

Options are numerous:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y68678G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06Y68678G&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=b0023f58-ff8d-4694-adc6-43892d3a8107&pf_rd_r=4SYRHR6CV6BBMSFR5MR9&pd_rd_wg=oyERP&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=vM8Nt&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=a4cb4438-bda8-11e8-abb7-293e8b9579b4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D564Y6S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07D564Y6S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=b0023f58-ff8d-4694-adc6-43892d3a8107&pf_rd_r=F8GJCHEWDM793A132G79&pd_rd_wg=COGFy&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=S9ajz&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=8d1689d2-bda8-11e8-abb7-293e8b9579b4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078XSFDJ9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078XSFDJ9&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=b0023f58-ff8d-4694-adc6-43892d3a8107&pf_rd_r=MGGE93N9D3X4SDHBQQJP&pd_rd_wg=jAHQS&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=zC2Ok&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=ca12d81f-bdab-11e8-9daf-352a4519fba6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOSSIL-Smartwatch-Explorist-Leather-Notifications/dp/B07H5KJLF5/ref=pd_sbs_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07H5KJLF5&pd_rd_r=2d91ad81-bda7-11e8-abb7-293e8b9579b4&pd_rd_w=L3sVI&pd_rd_wg=Xixim&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=4fe8124b-f455-49bd-9e7d-c251837661fc&pf_rd_r=PBP6T8VZ2QNQQHRRX3G6&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=PBP6T8VZ2QNQQHRRX3G6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C3QCGZL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07C3QCGZL&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=b0023f58-ff8d-4694-adc6-43892d3a8107&pf_rd_r=PBP6T8VZ2QNQQHRRX3G6&pd_rd_wg=Xixim&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=6B0lm&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=2d91ad81-bda7-11e8-abb7-293e8b9579b4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM-R760NDAABTU-Gear-Frontier-Smartwatch-Black/dp/B01MF5IUEW/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1537542346&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+smart+watch

There are the cheaper ones I would love to find a good cheap one but what quality price.... Does any one use one?

As for old tech I only just got rid of my old amstrad 464. and I think I have most of my phones somewhere!

My first computer, if you can call it that, had 1K ram, 4K rom, and no hard drive at all. I assembled it myself with a soldering iron in 1981.

Looking back, why did I bother :lol: