'Ello John, got a new motor

learningtofly

Well, my poor old Boxster was officially written off by my insurers last week after about a month of thinking about it following what was a pretty minor prang. I was toying between a convertible Mini and an MX-5 as a replacement, and this is now sitting on my drive. It's a 2010 (Mk 3.5 facelift) 2.0 SE with low mileage and not a mark on it. I drove it about 65 miles home yesterday, and it's an absolute joy. Far more engaging than the Boxster, although I did notice the back twitch on a couple of corners (I was going pretty quickly and it was chucking it down, mind).

So far, very happy indeed, although I think I'll let Skuzzle work some magic on it in the spring (the basic upgrades take it from 158 to 190 bhp).

i-BxPdQDk-XL.jpg

i-j8zjsdc-XL.jpg

i-SNcXWmK-XL.jpg

i-x5pFWzH-XL.jpg

i-fDk8Wnt-XL.jpg

i-XcmDH8j-XL.jpg

Nice car. We have a 2007 2.0 sport lowered on eibachs. If it's twitchy get alignment checked and drop links. We've got a cobra backbox but I'd really like to swap out the manifold to get rid of the cat and have it remapped, then put some asjystable coilovers on. We did a couple of the Mazda on track car control days which are a good laugh.

If you haven't already then get yourself a trombone slide cleaning brush for the hood drains.

Very nice indeed. Looks in very good nic. :thumb:

Thanks - it's in lovely nick actually. Much more of a purist's car, and far more engaging because of that.

I did love my Boxster, but it was 18 years old and following the last service I was given a list of about £4k's worth of additional work that was required. maybe the write-off was a blessing in disguise as I don't have that kind on money knocking around. (The car was worth £7.5k at best anyway, so it wouldn't have been money well spent.)

Nice car. We have a 2007 2.0 sport lowered on eibachs. If it's twitchy get alignment checked and drop links. We've got a cobra backbox but I'd really like to swap out the manifold to get rid of the cat and have it remapped, then put some asjystable coilovers on. We did a couple of the Mazda on track car control days which are a good laugh.

If you haven't already then get yourself a trombone slide cleaning brush for the hood drains.

That sounds nice! Have you seen what Skuzzle can do?

Very nice indeed. Looks in very good nic. :thumb:

Thanks - it's in lovely nick actually. Much more of a purist's car, and far more engaging because of that.

I did love my Boxster, but it was 18 years old and following the last service I was given a list of about £4k's worth of additional work that was required. maybe the write-off was a blessing in disguise as I don't have that kind on money knocking around. (The car was worth £7.5k at best anyway, so it wouldn't have been money well spent.)

That does sound like a blessing in disguise, bet it felt very heavily disguised when it happened though!

That sounds nice! Have you seen what Skuzzle can do?

Yeah, keep looking, also looked at the bbr stuff. Not keen on the skuzzle intake, will stick with pipercross panel filter. We keep holding off until we've moved and then we'll start sorting it properly. Got a bit of bodywork to do as well after some nob in a car park hit the drivers door. Great little cars, you have to drive like you ride a bike as people seem to frequently pull out on you smidsy style.

Oh yeah and watch for rust (I'm sure you know all this so sorry!) . We had ours dinitrolled badly by a garage in Suffolk, but still had some work done on the sills earlier this year by fast Eddys in Norfolk who's very good and knows the cars inside out.

This is ours IMG_3109.JPG.b7d4fcf15b3f7eb234e6402de9a0072b.JPG

Are you a hairdresser then ?

Why, have you got helmet hair?

Sometimes..... I fancy a blue rinse , will you get one of them big over head driers in it .

Just stick your barnet under the bonnet. It get’s nice and warm in there.

Nice!

I always liked the Mk3 MX5 as it was the first one they did where I felt I'd happily have one. The Mk2 was such a let down on the Mk1.

I'd love to experience a turbo charged version. In the end I bought a 2012 Audi TT as I figured I'd want a turbo charged lump.

It was noticeably heavier feeling than the MX-5 and ultimately I didn't get on with it.

Much more a fan of hot hatches but the odd coupe still catches my eye.

I keep on the lookout for a turbo Hyundai Veloster. They only made them for a few years, they were very quirky looking, but 180bhp from a 1.6 is similar to the Ford Fiesta ST.

Dinitrolled?

Anti rust product. Dinitrol make a range of rust converters and underbody and cavity waxes. Good stuff.

Not much use on some MX-5 variants though as they have sections made from layers of steel that rot from the inside out. How Mazda have got away with the lack of rust protection never ceases to amaze me.

Lovely cars to drive.

I bought a 2012 Audi TT

Didn't realise you were a hairdresser. ;-)

A sparky. But I'm informed by site mechanics on a regular basis that that's even worse :lol:

And in my defence it was the hard top 2.0 TFSI with a manual gearbox. But it was white soooooo, wanna buy some Redken? :wink:

Electrical engineer, or "dancing shoe wearing, tool averse, chess player" (favourite piss take quote of the year).

Redken, I see it stocked and hard sold a lot in hairdressers I frequent. I don't know what's in it but it appears to be the hair equivalent of redex.

Electrical engineer, or "dancing shoe wearing, tool averse, chess player" (favourite piss take quote of the year).

The reply to that should be;

"Safety boots are under the desk and if I give you a blank piece of paper can you design it"