BVG banned and fined for speeding

TimR

"I thought it was unrestricted"

I laughed out loud at that.

Did these guys not consider, even for a moment that doing almost double the speed limit... I make it 90mph in a 50mph is going to open them to a whole world of pain if caught and that speed traps are normal on the popular passes. Because too many foreigners end up killing themselves on those self same passes, too fast on a bend and fly into the void. The way the Swiss deal with speeding has never been a secret... They're brutal.

So this pair of charlies go to Switzerland, thumb their nose at the local laws... And get a prize.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they receive more demands once they get back from roadside static cameras that have caught them out.

There's a reason we see more than a few Swiss bikes in the Eifel every year. :up:

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but was that punishment not excessive? A good bollocking and a decent sized fine perhaps.

But £3k and 3 month ban? Just for speeding? On what looks like a large, well maintained road in great conditions?

If it was in a busy area, an area with kids playing or similar I'd not have any sympathy as I'm all for tough punishments for dangerous driving, especially when it endangers others.

I think the later part of the video with a steady stream of bikes flying through the stretch of road makes a strong point.

I guess they've tried the softly softly approach. The cost to the Swiss of an accident is far more than the fine so I reckon they're just passing some contribution to their costs to those daft enough to ignite the limits.

The proof of whether it works.... I'm not coming back to Switzerland....I think that's exactly the intention.

Speeding in Switzerland is treated as a serious criminal offence. And the Swiss population are more than happy with that. They could very easily change it, 50,000 signatures and they can have a national referendum. but, they're not interested in that.

Its treated so seriously in fact.. that if you get clocked by a "Gatso" equivalent.. they will track you down (with help from UK Police) and if the fine isnt paid.. they issue a European arrest warrant. and you really don't want one of those with your name on it. :shock:

If you go to Switzerland.. don't take the piss out of their laws. it might end very badly. as he said in the video he was within a whisker of going to prison for a year. (minimum)

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but was that punishment not excessive? A good bollocking and a decent sized fine perhaps.

But £3k and 3 month ban? Just for speeding? On what looks like a large, well maintained road in great conditions?

If it was in a busy area, an area with kids playing or similar I'd not have any sympathy as I'm all for tough punishments for dangerous driving, especially when it endangers others.

I think the later part of the video with a steady stream of bikes flying through the stretch of road makes a strong point.

It's their laws [mention]Fozzie[/mention] ......break them and pay the consequences .....irrespective of what we think. Having just spent 2 weeks in Switzerland, pedestrians won't cross a road until the green man lights up.....even if there's no traffic to be seen.....and they tut very loudly at you if you do cross on red...... :lol:

Having just spent 2 weeks in Switzerland, pedestrians won't cross a road until the green man lights up.....even if there's no traffic to be seen.....and they tut very loudly at you if you do cross on red...... :lol:

Sounds like common sense died at some point

Having just spent 2 weeks in Switzerland, pedestrians won't cross a road until the green man lights up.....even if there's no traffic to be seen.....and they tut very loudly at you if you do cross on red...... :lol:

No... different culture.

No... different culture.

My apologies for not factoring in cultural relativism. 🙄

No... different culture.

Didnt you just get back from North America? in Switzerland.. the worst that can happen is a kind of group disapproval. which is typical in all the countries that have a high percentage of Ethnic germans. disapproval... which can easily mean a complete stranger giving you a right telling off. dependent on what you actually did.

Try doing the same in America.. and depending where you are. crossing the road.. as above, could land you a $1000 fine.

No... different culture.

Didnt you just get back from North America? in Switzerland.. the worst that can happen is a kind of group disapproval. which is typical in all the countries that have a high percentage of Ethnic germans. disapproval... which can easily mean a complete stranger giving you a right telling off. dependent on what you actually did.

Try doing the same in America.. and depending where you are. crossing the road.. as above, could land you a $1000 fine.

Common sense has long since died in the US. Evidence whether it ever existed is yet to be found, despite search parties frantically looking. Perhaps you could help them look?

Common sense has long since died in the US. Evidence whether it ever existed is yet to be found, despite search parties frantically looking. Perhaps you could help them look?

You might think its a lack of common sense that means people will not cross the road in some of these european countries unless/until allowed. but there is a side effect of this attitude.

RTAs that involve pedestrians are half what they are here.

one other minor, but notable difference.. if you cross the road in Switzerland and there is no designated crossing point. don't be surprised if an approaching car stops. and doesn't move until you are across.. effectively treating the place you are crossing as a 'zebra crossing' by our terms. And if they don't.. and a copper spots them, then he will be after them and give them a telling off for their lack of manners. Or passers-by will be shouting expletives at them... or more likely tut and say "bloody french/italian" (translated)

like I say.. different culture. very different.

[strikeout][/strikeout]

You might think its a lack of common sense that means people will not cross the road in some of these european countries unless/until allowed. but there is a side effect of this attitude.

RTAs that involve pedestrians are half what they are here.

one other minor, but notable difference.. if you cross the road in Switzerland and there is no designated crossing point. don't be surprised if an approaching car stops. and doesn't move until you are across.. effectively treating the place you are crossing as a 'zebra crossing' by our terms. And if they don't.. and a copper spots them, then he will be after them and give them a telling off for their lack of manners. Or passers-by will be shouting expletives at them... or more likely tut and say "bloody french/italian" (translated)

like I say.. different culture. very different.

I was being facetious about the common sense thing, apart from America maybe.

Its like that in Denmark too. Pedestrians are like robots. They will only cross the road at crossings and then only when the green man shows.

It was very strange the first time I saw it, especially considering I spend my days working in London crossing the road where ever I like dodging traffic for me is the norm.

But then I realised, they just aren't in a hurry. They have no reason to rush or cross the road until the green man shows.

Work life balance is so much better in mainland Europe than for us in the uk. I think the fact we can't take the extra few mins to walk to the crossing and then wait for the green man is a very telling indicator that something is very wrong in the UK with our work/life balance.

(Sending this from an Airbnb appartment in France lol)

Maybe the following taken from swiss safety data is part of the reason behind the dislike of motorbikes, its basically making a rite mess of there stats,, i presume the bike stat ties in with the over represented rural accident stats

The largest share of fatalities is among car occupants, pedestrians

and motorcyclists, of which the last share is

significantly higher than

the EU average.

-

The number of elderly people who died in road accidents is higher in

Switzerland than in the EU on average.

-

Road fatalities in rural areas are over

represented in Switzerland

compared to the EU average

Maybe the following taken from swiss safety data is part of the reason behind the dislike of motorbikes, its basically making a rite mess of there stats,, i presume the bike stat ties in with the over represented rural accident stats

The largest share of fatalities is among car occupants, pedestrians

and motorcyclists, of which the last share is

significantly higher than

the EU average.

-

The number of elderly people who died in road accidents is higher in

Switzerland than in the EU on average.

-

Road fatalities in rural areas are over

represented in Switzerland

compared to the EU average

Dislike of motorbikes?

There is no dislike of Motorbikes.. Go there and see if you detect any dislike.. you will not.

but there is a dislike of speeding. and in the mountains.. its all too frequent aftermath.

The reason road fatalities are over represented in Switzerland compared to the EU average... is people travel there and kill themselves because they are not prepared or do not have the skills to deal with the high roads and passes. The Swiss and Austrians generally assume people have the skills and are prepared for what awaits them. They are not mollycoddled. Riding or driving with an appropriate level of caution is generally assumed. And so visiting riders come unstuck. make a mistake with a 1000 foot drop at the side of the road and you're going to die. This doesn't just happen in Switzerland.. it happens across the entire Alps. Its only more pronounced in Switzerland because of its fairly unique geography.

Speed through a speed trap and they will have you. don't speed and you might as well be invisible.

Sorry I should have put people speeding on motorbikes im sure they have a dislike of any one speeding on anything, but the bikes do make the stats bad so you can see why they target them, looks like old people too, so if your old and on a bike and speeding you may never get out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion about rights and wrongs, however, if the Swiss police deem what the bikers did to be massively serious in their country..................then as long as that law is consistent for everyone.............all I have to say is "Unlucky" :D :thumb:

Finally got round to watching this. Who is BVG? I feel like if I am going to join this motorcycling world properly I should know.

Thanks

It is actually Baron Von Grumble, look on inter web, but the other moniker above is far more appropriate

I read this and had to smile, In this country we inhabit too many pedestrians also don't cross unless and until they get a green man. I have been surprised a few times when some pedestrians waiting to cross with the red man illuminated don't even cross when the green man shows but they just stand there.

As for the video when you are abroad conform to local laws. If you don't you deserve what you get. And yes it was over the top but they are foreigners what do they know. We british have beaten the shit out of every country on the globe and destroyed half of them, we know how to deal with people. (as in victimise and shoot them)

In Arabia you are required to drive like an idiot, in Mexico you are required to not drive one day a week, in USA if you are stopped by the cops you are required to show your hands or you get shot, in switzerland you can carry a shotgun but you cant carry on speeding.

Of course I could be wrong.

I recall that a number of football fans from England were incensed when they travelled to Europe and they did their usual behaviour of ganging up on and attacking foreign nationals, and then when the riot police turned up they did their usual trick of ridiculing and insulting the cops. They were surprised to discover that the normal response from a copper abroad after being attacked is to trunchion the shit out of them and bang them up for a week before deporting them.

They could not understand why after spitting on the police they did not receive a stern warning. as happens from the impotent police over here.

Bring back the stocks and horse whip them all, which is quite difficult now as so very few horses are available to whip them with in society.