Microwave sparking repair

Via

Have had a run of kitchen appliances blowing up over this year... fridge, washing machine, oven and recently microwave (last 2 in a couple of weeks).

This may well be common knowledge (especially as replacements fairly easy to get hold of) but sharing just in case like me, others don't know.

At first look it appeared disastrous, when turned on it made a load arcing noise and bright spark coming from the side. On closer look where it was sparking there appeared to be this piece of cardboard on the side, never even noticed it there before (and yes it does get cleaned occasionally :lol:).

Thought it a bit coincidental that spark was occurring there so I jumped on trusty google, turns out this cardboard like thing is actually a mica sheet which is used to scatter the waves from magnatron which sits behind. My microwave is probably about 10 years old now but it does it's job, this sheet had deteriorated and started to bubble and crack.

Jumped on amazon, and bought a pack of 5 standard sheets for £6.99 and using old one as a template cut sheet to correct shape with a knife, microwave working fine again now.

Nice cheap simple fix.

10 years old.... Time to chuck it .

My Microwave is 29yrs old.. came from the Freemans Catalogue, a Christmas present in 1989. :up:

Ive no reason to chuck it.

How dated it must look is enough reason :D

My Microwave is 29yrs old.. came from the Freemans Catalogue, a Christmas present in 1989. :up:

How dated it must look is enough reason :D

Yeah because modern microwaves look so much better compared to the old metal box ones :lol:

Did it come in a mahogany chest with a wrought iron lock?

No, it came in a cardboard box with "Hitachi - made in japan"

a photo of said antique.

P1000002.JPG.1ddae63064c114856f4ebc58b515502e.JPG

Doesnt look dated to me.. but then im no expert on microwave fashion. :mrgreen:

It used to be all white.. but over the years the enamel has turned as you can see an ivory/cream colour.

a photo of said antique.

P1000002.JPG

It used to be all white.. but over the years the enamel has turned as you can see an ivory/cream colour.

Arghh yes , The Fanny Craddock limited edition , might be worth a few quid .

You have to be very careful doing your own microwave oven repairs. Get it wrong and it'll zap your nads as you're waiting for your Pot Noodle to heat up, instantly turning you into a girl. One minute you'll be standing there, quietly contemplating some of life's great imponderables, like how many tigers it would take to kill a tiger shark, and the next minute you'll be reorganising your shopping list in aisle order and wondering what domestic benefits might accrue from the purchase of a set of stackable Tupperware fridge containers.

Well known, that is...

a photo of said antique.

P1000002.JPG

Dude I can't belive we just threw our old one out, you could have hade it, all it needed was completely stripping, the inside sand blasted, re coated and put back together, it was from this century though so may not have blended in with your kitchen appliances 😅

Seriously though if it keeps it going and it's working fine now good fix, I had noticed the bit of card many years ago did wonder what it's purpose was.

An in the words of trigga (fools an horses)

the microwave has had 20 new plugs 10 glass plates and 12 new microwaves .

How is it the same microwave

Because it's still in my kitchen