Band could be back

Asbo41

Well..... After a 6 month break. i had a jam with my old bass player last night.

Weve been talking about getting a band back together. Be good to start playing some rock in the pubs again. im cautious at the minute, as anyone whos been in bands will know, they are a pain in the Yaris to keep together/agree on music/get everyone to rehearsals :cry:

But definitely worth it :cheers:

I'm still enjoying not being in a band to be honest, having quit the one I was in for six years back in December. I got fed up of playing the same shite over and over again to pissed-up punters whilst simultaneously putting up with the tantrums and histrionics of our prima donna guitarist. He stormed off stage in front of hundreds of people at one of our biggest gigs last year - proper Nigel Tufnell style - which really signaled the beginning of the end as far as I was concerned, especially as our normally placid drummer had chucked his sticks across the stage and gone home half way through the sound check the previous evening.

And it's not as though I'm not used to it: my first band back in the late 1980s was The Nun F*ckers, which played various condemned and illegal drinking establishments and was regularly chased around town in the middle of the night either by irate skinheads who thought we were shite or by the police following a raid.

So, I have hung up my bass and picked up the sticks again, and won't be looking to join another band any time soon. At least not until I've mastered the half-time shuffle... :thumb:

Good to see some fellow musicians on here. I play guitar mainly and also fiddle. I prefer jamming and recording with friends these days. I can't be bothered with being in a proper band anymore. Or maybe I'm just too tired and cynical with old age :)

Good to see some fellow musicians on here. I play guitar mainly and also fiddle. I prefer jamming and recording with friends these days. I can't be bothered with being in a proper band anymore. Or maybe I'm just too tired and cynical with old age :)

I'd love to be in a band that jist worked lol. Being in a band sometimes takes the enjoyment out of it. But I love playing live and cranking the guitars up haha

I don’t feel I’m at a level I’d be comfortable playing in a band, maybe some day though.

Good luck with it and I hope it goes well, what is your guitar/amp setup?.

Thanks mate.

At the moment my main guitars are a PRS Santana and a Epiphone SG. My main amp is a Marshall JCM900 through a 2x12 cab. I've also got a hughes and K ettner for smaller gigs.

How long you been playing?

I don’t feel I’m at a level I’d be comfortable playing in a band, maybe some day though.

Thanks mate.

At the moment my main guitars are a PRS Santana and a Epiphone SG. My main amp is a Marshall JCM900 through a 2x12 cab. I've also got a hughes and K ettner for smaller gigs.

Nice!, SGs look really cool!, I’ve been playing about a year and a half, I know I’d have improved more if I could find more time to practice, some days I will do an hour then not pick it up for a few days, then get 20 mins in, I’m trying to play more though as when I get into it I really enjoy it.

I’ve got a Marshall DSL15 and a Roland Cube practice amp and a Fender Stratocaster- love the sound of it, although hope to add a guitar with humbuckers at some point too.

Since [mention]goat[/mention] has already got in with a plug for his vids, does anyone want to buy a Trace Elliot AH1200-12 head with 1015H cab and a 4052H bright box? It's a beast - everything from classic Trace Elliot punch to growly overdrive from the valve stage, and with 1200 trouser-flapping watts on tap you can instantly punish your guitarist at the first sign of any widdly-widdly nonsense.

I'm also flogging a load of my old basses (Clover Avenger 5, Cort A5, Cort A4 fretless, MusicMan Sterling etc). I'm hanging onto my beloved Stingray 5 and Fender P though! :thumb:

Perhaps I'll post a proper ad with some photos...

Thanks mate.

Asbo, how is the neck on the SG? I bought one new a few years ago but sent it back as the neck was seriously bendy. The slightest pressure and it change pitch drastically . I heard a lot of similar tales from Epiphone SG and ES335 owners. Maybe it was just a batch from that period which were dodgy. How is yours?

Thanks mate.

Asbo, how is the neck on the SG? I bought one new a few years ago but sent it back as the neck was seriously bendy. The slightest pressure and it change pitch drastically . I heard a lot of similar tales from Epiphone SG and ES335 owners. Maybe it was just a batch from that period which were dodgy. How is yours?

It's not too bad. I know what you mean though it didn't take much to shift the pitch. I struggled with the heavy head. Neck drop. But Velcro inside the strap to grip my t shirt sorted that though. It has some serious tones. My mate has the gibson and there's not a lot in it. Certainly not enough to warrant to extra cash.

What do you have now?

Since @goat has already got in with a plug for his vids, does anyone want to buy a Trace Elliot AH1200-12 head with 1015H cab and a 4052H bright box? It's a beast - everything from classic Trace Elliot punch to growly overdrive from the valve stage, and with 1200 trouser-flapping watts on tap you can instantly punish your guitarist at the first sign of any widdly-widdly nonsense.

I'm also flogging a load of my old basses (Clover Avenger 5, Cort A5, Cort A4 fretless, MusicMan Sterling etc). I'm hanging onto my beloved Stingray 5 and Fender P though! :thumb:

Perhaps I'll post a proper ad with some photos...

I'll show my mate these :thumb:

Thanks mate.

It's not too bad. I know what you mean though it didn't take much to shift the pitch. I struggled with the heavy head. Neck drop. But Velcro inside the strap to grip my t shirt sorted that though. It has some serious tones. My mate has the gibson and there's not a lot in it. Certainly not enough to warrant to extra cash.

What do you have now?

I tend to play acoustic mainly these days, have a couple of nice Yamaha acoustics, but I still have a Fender Tele and a Squier Jazzmaster and a 1990s Danelectro U2 and a lovely Ibanez copy of a Gretsch style semi. My brother has an older Epiphone SG and it is fine, no neck trouble but it is a much older one than mine was and you're right, they sound damn good!

I’ve got a cheap acoustic too but mainly play electric, I should try and use the acoustic more for chordy stuff though.

I’ve vowed not to buy another guitar until I can afford and need one of these:

https://reverb.com/item/11655787-fender-usa-version-1-plus-deluxe-tele-crimson-frost-maple-1990

Really love the sound and looks of them.

I’ve got a cheap acoustic too but mainly play electric, I should try and use the acoustic more for chordy stuff though.

https://reverb.com/item/11655787-fender-usa-version-1-plus-deluxe-tele-crimson-frost-maple-1990

That's nice. I'd love a tele. My mates got a stunning one. But I can't play it as he plays left handed. Even though I'm a leftie I play right handed lol

Acoustics are much more than just for chordy stuff matey! I do a lot of fingerpicking on steel string acoustic, all kinds of stuff from classical, blues, jazz etc through to Celtic stuff. That is why guitars are amazing, the versatility of them. By the way, that telecaster you posted a link to is a lovely colour! I love telecasters. They are like a blank canvas and they feel so comfy. Mine is a standard blonde one with the black pickguard. Oh I shouldn't start talking about guitars or I won't shut up!

:cheers:

That's nice. I'd love a tele. My mates got a stunning one. But I can't play it as he plays left handed. Even though I'm a leftie I play right handed lol

I’m the same I write left handed but play the guitar right handed!, no idea how that happened.

Acoustics are much more than just for chordy stuff matey! I do a lot of fingerpicking on steel string acoustic, all kinds of stuff from classical, blues, jazz etc through to Celtic stuff. That is why guitars are amazing, the versatility of them. By the way, that telecaster you posted a link to is a lovely colour! I love telecasters. They are like a blank canvas and they feel so comfy. Mine is a standard blonde one with the black pickguard. Oh I shouldn't start talking about guitars or I won't shut up!

:cheers:

I know they’re for more than chordy stuff really, just that’s all I’ve ever really done on mine.

I had a Mexican Tele before but I swapped it for an amp, the one I linked doesn’t have that classic Tele sound at all really it’s a bit of a different beast with the lace sensor pickups- and they’re getting a bit collectible now too, I know there are less comfortable guitars to play(a Flying V must be terrible) but I’ve always found a Strat more comfortable especially while sitting down, I really hope to get one like in the link but it’s a lot of money for something I’m not good enough for at the moment :cheers:

I’m the same I write left handed but play the guitar right handed!, no idea how that happened.

My dad plays too and he is right handed so there was always right handed guitars about. I started picking them up at around 13yrs old and that was it. LH guitar feels so uncomfortable to me.