Smart home

Via

Anyone got any smart home stuff?

Got myself an echo plus at start of December, had been thinking about getting one before and never bothered but got a good deal through work.

Totally hooked now and since bought 2 echo dots and a normal echo so got one in every room (minus bathroom) have also got hue ambience lights in front room, hallways and bedroom (kitchen will be more expensive to replace as need 8 GU10 bulbs to do that) along with a few of the hue dimmer switches for living room and hallways. To top it off a few smart plugs for TVs (plug in between mains and plug to act as a smart relay).

Now I know a light switch isn't exactly hard work but makes everything so much easier, phone app uses location so if I come home after sunset living room lights turn on automatically for me, can connect multiple lights and rooms to one switch and will turn all on or off, my living room has 2 lights on single switch either side of the room, can turn both on now with one press (or press power button more times to cycle through 5 different presets).

And best of all I can get in bed now with lights on and just say Alexa goodnight, she will tell me anything I've got on calendar tomorrow, read the news and weather then turn off all lights and TV without me having to get up (got to think of my gammy leg).

They're listening now

:lol: had people saying this seriously and so far I can confirm no one from GCHQ has contacted me yet to find out if my dog is actually a good boy (that's about the highlight of my verbal communication :lol:).

Don't get the whole BS about smart sockets and lighting can save you money when one bulb cost > £10?

Dunno about saving money tbh as you're right bulb cost was extortionate, but could possibly in long run as now if I sit down to watch TV and realise I left hall light on I can turn off via Alexa or mobile app, before I'd think f**k it I can't be bothered to get up :lol:

Smart sockets more likely as I can plug TV, amp and other boxes into one socket and when turned off that uses tiny amount of electric to listen for wake up, so effectively one device on standby as opposed to multiple devices.

But I got them as I'm lazy not to save money :lol:

Orwell suggested government agencies would be controlling us in our homes. He didn't realise we'd voluntarily invite corporations in to do the job. They are out to get you.

Do agree with this in regards to social media in a way, I remember when you wouldn't ever give your really name out on the internet certainly not amount of information available on social media now.

And the amount of idiots as well, people where I work have been fired after calling in sick on new years eve to then put pictures of them in pub on Facebook :roll: personally I think they deserve what they get.

I’d love a smart oven, leave the food in there, switch it on before you get home and get through the door to your dinner already cooked but they’re small (normal) capacity ovens and nowhere near big enough for the gutsers I feed!

Plus our connection is rubbish, properly rubbish, drops out all the time. The dodgy copper wires that still connect us are useless, I have visions of endless frustration trying to turn a light on or off and shouting at the WiFi, not worth it for a lightbulb.

I get genuinely excited if I discover an item has a wire... a proper wire.... like an old fashioned guaranteed to work wire, no constantly reconnecting items or gritting your teeth as the bloody thingamyijg fails to operate or the loud shouts of sweary anguish from varying rooms as an online game is lost due to the useless bloody buggery WiFi! I hate all of you with your decent super fast connectivity and life enhancing tech raaaaah.

Rant over.

ps Apparently full fibre optic is coming our way, I’ll believe it when it’s here and working!

I’d love a smart oven, leave the food in there, switch it on before you get home and get through the door to your dinner already cooked but they’re small (normal) capacity ovens and nowhere near big enough for the gutsers I feed!

My 15 year old Leisure cooker does this already, can programme a cook time and you tell it what time you want it to start or end can't remember which.

I have an alexa that I use for music and alarms mostly but I want to be able to preheat my gym (freezing cold) before I go workout so this is a perfect use case - portable radiator in there connected to a smart plug that I can shout at alexa to turn on, or set when I leave work. Setting it up is my plan this weekend actually.

I have an alexa that I use for music and alarms mostly but I want to be able to preheat my gym (freezing cold) before I go workout so this is a perfect use case - portable radiator in there connected to a smart plug that I can shout at alexa to turn on, or set when I leave work. Setting it up is my plan this weekend actually.

Yep that would work :thumb: also they have added wait commands into Alexa routines now so you could add a routine to turn on wait 30 mins then turn off for a quick preheat.

I've got a timed routine which turns light on dim and then brighter every minute until at 100% just before alarm, makes a massive difference waking up in a bright room and often the light wakes me up before alarm goes off

My 15 year old Leisure cooker does this already, can programme a cook time and you tell it what time you want it to start or end can't remember which.

Programmable rather then remote controlled? I’m after one you can switch on n off when you’re away from it (so using your phone) cos it’s often hard to predict what time I’m getting back and that would allow me to be flexible and start the cooking before I left my destination. The ones I’ve seen operate by connecting to the internet.

Just getting into the whole smart home scene, we brought a Google home hub (the one with a screen) before Christmas, we also have a Google home mini, ands Google chromecast.

I’m wanting to get smart bulbs, led strip lights and smart sockets to begin with. Ikea have a range of smart bulbs which are reasonably priced and they work with the usual platforms. For the landing and hallway I want motion sensors so there’s no need to manually switch them on and off.

In the future I want to be able to control the heating, open/close curtains, and add a security system with cameras for outside. Not a fan of smart locks for the front door as I think they could be easily hacked.

There's a you tuber called lock picking lawyer that has reviewed some of the smart lock stuff especially padlocks... Most of them have been built by techies instead of locksmiths so the smart stuff is pretty good and not so easily hacked but you can then open it with a screwdriver :roll:

Been thinking of building a system using a spare stepper motor to open and close blinds, shouldn't be too difficult.

Would like to get heating done as well and can get smart radiator thermostatic valves so makes heating specific rooms much easier rather than the whole house but as with anything could end up spending a fortune :lol:

I've got a Honeywell heating system I can control via an app. Does that make mine a smart home? :-)

Otherwise lights - I fitted PIR in the bathrooms as I don't like dangly cords. They're also good for confusing elderly relatives. I also have remote controlled dimmer light switches which are great for the bedroom (aaaaawww yeeeeeah).

That's it for me, I can't say I'm in a rush to get anything else. Possibly zoned heating but not more than that, I just don't see the point.

There's a you tuber called lock picking lawyer that has reviewed some of the smart lock stuff especially padlocks... Most of them have been built by techies instead of locksmiths so the smart stuff is pretty good and not so easily hacked but you can then open it with a screwdriver :roll:

Been thinking of building a system using a spare stepper motor to open and close blinds, shouldn't be too difficult.

Would like to get heating done as well and can get smart radiator thermostatic valves so makes heating specific rooms much easier rather than the whole house but as with anything could end up spending a fortune :lol:

Don't think like that! I lost some keys to a lockbox so bought a lock picking set and 10 minutes later I was in. Learned how to pick my front door too... Best just not to think about that kinda stuff :-)

When I was growing up if someone in the surrounding area got locked out theyd ask my parents if they could borrow me because I was able to put my hand through the letterbox and use a stick (bamboo cane worked best) to knock the catch and push the door open.

Unfortunately being a small child I also fitted throught those thin long vertical rectangular windows that run across the top of the main windows that folk always leave open so I was often shoved through windows too. Once I got pushed through a tiny window but the house was so big I couldnt find my way out, Im sure they thought I was pinching stuff!

The police sargeant that lived accross the road said he knew a lot of people who would pay me well to open doors!

One way to retire early I suppose!!!

I've got a Honeywell heating system I can control via an app. Does that make mine a smart home? :-)

Got one of these too. It's awesome.

Before I put in, the lounge was always freezing cold, cos the thermostat was in the hall, right next to the kitchen - which was always warm. Now the lounge is warm every evening, which is when we use it, but cool during the day. The study is the opposite: warm during the day when I'm working from home, but cooler in the evenings and weekends. The bathroom is set to 22C for a couple of hours in the morning when we shower, but the rest of the day it's 18C which is plenty warm enough for a pee.

I'd like a bathroom light that can be dimmed, but not if means I have to put a device in my house that's listening to my every word. I'd probably be arrested inside a month.

Have smart heating but rarely use it remotely...,

Have been tempted by this RF & IR control...

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/broadlink-rm-pro-iot-ir-rf-to-wifi-remote-controller_p5169212.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=314_22743%7C444_7420&country_code=gb&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=303007747638&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=3516490533_855201102_61941736073_pla-482720659860&gclid=CjwKCAiA1ZDiBRAXEiwAIWyNC6qEdqVjPMNA0_E_91AOPtyqJKS1s1DdbOP77E3PQFRKVXYMsPiQ_RoCuzMQAvD_BwE

In theory it can control TV's the various other box's associated, some Remote control plugs we have. Plus others we could add, not being tied to one supplier IE "hue", this could be done with chinese stuff more affordably.

The idea being I can come down stairs say good morning (or whatever) and have lights & TV turn on to correct channel. Same as telling the dog hes going to look after the house turning the radio on for him would be good.

I believe to give it voice control I need to connect it to a dot? alexia? or whatever... Has anyone got any experience?

Have heard good things about the quality and price of the stuff from these guys...

https://www.mi.com/global/

I have a smart cooker, I text him when I'm leaving work and he has dinner ready for me when I get home :lol:

Where d’u buy that? I want one.

I've lost the receipt but I think it was a basement clearance sale :lol:

I've got a nest thermostat and Amazon echo in the kitchen. Bought my mum an Amazon echo so I can video call her really easily.

The nest thermostat is a nice bit of kit. It's wakes up when it detects movement and shows the current weather outside and I can control the heating from my phone and track usage. Easy to wire in too if you're comfortable taking the cover off your central heating boiler.

I believe to give it voice control I need to connect it to a dot? alexia? or whatever... Has anyone got any experience?

Can't comment on that device but the smart plugs I use are cheap Chinese... Had to download a mobile app to create an account and then connect to plugs and connect them to Wi-Fi (I'm guessing I could delete that app now but can guarantee when I do I'll need it and won't remember what app it is as I've binned box and everything).

Once all setup you download an Alexa skill which is effectively the Alexa version of an app, they then show up as devices under Alexa and can control them through that.

Good thing with Alexa is you can install whatever skills you want so while my current lighting is all hue if I got another brand device I can add it along with the hue stuff and would work together.