Oh my lord what car?

onesea

I am going to change cars...

I inherited my mums little MG TF and it is not really suitable anymore, the little puppy dog that should of been no more than knee height and less than 25 kg's now at 12 months old weighs 35kg and is nearer waist height (he frequently gets described as a horse!).

Although my little MG is great fun and has been reliable it does 40 mpg it is not being treated kindly with dog (even with seat covers) and forest car parks, insurance is also a little bit steep as I need it insured for "business" because of work (more than 2 places its works stipulation)..

My milage is now very low 2-3k a year but may increase back to old 5-10k+ easily. My previous car was a landy defender 110 which IMHO are now overpriced and way out of my budget and round there are regular reports of them being stolen.

Essentials:

Reliable,

Low (ish for right car) running cost,

MPG 30+ ideally 40+

Low budget - Dog's, sailing and motorbike parts, trash cars, looking to buy cash (2k MAX ideally 1k ) not finance,

2 seats+ plus dog + Outboard... (The only place the MG REALLY lets me down but only just the dog got tooo big!)

Not to bothered Petrol or Diesel.

Other ideals:

Would love to be able to tow a couple of Tons (large caravan & boat trailers),

Able to put motorbike in (might help keep 2 bikes :D )

Possible 4 wheel drive

Quick to warm up defrost my commute is presently 3 miles a day I rarely go more than 10 miles.

Would consider another soft top.

I have been tempted by cheap:

Freelander 4, Ford Fiesta/ Volkswagen Polo (will not tow 2 ton I know), Kangoo/ Peugeot Partner/ Berlingo, cabed pickup, transit van (costs normally high mileage rot?) was tempted by Jimny but only 30 mpg another idea is just put towbar on MG for boat bits and dog!

Not certain what I will get as response here, just looking for ideas. Believe it or not I am not a real petrol head cars should be practical and get me from a2b although I do like something a little different...

Car History>

Nissan / Datsun violet

Vauxhall Cavalier 1.5 Diesel,

Ford Sierra 1.6 petrol (horrible car),

Peugeot 306 1.9tdi (I was 21 at the time)

Renault Clio,

Nissan Primera,

Landy Discovery I had 2 of these

Landy 110 Defender

MG TF

4x4 estate is prob your best bet I would have thought but for under 2k your unlikely to tick all those boxes, subaru forester or legacy, would just creep into 40mpg driving like a nun, realistic going to be below 30.

Any old big 4x4 is going to be a money pit, older transit, banana engine pretty reliable and pre turbo are fairly light maintenance wise but do suffer tin worm. Later turbo engines are no where near the mpg your after and get broken into a lot, I put upwards of 120 a week of diesel in mine.

Discovery 1 body's rot, disco 2 chassis rot, Toyota stupid miles or price, might get a cheap pickup, ford ranger, avoid novara they split in 2

Edited by Bender

I'm the same. Cars hold no real interest for me.

Hence. We have cheapish reliable cars.

I bought this Renault scenic thingy as I needed something ASAP. Car had been written off and couldn't wait for the pay out etc.

Paid about 1.5k. Less than 30k mileage.

Bought with intention of selling on within 6 month max (the wrote off car was a 12k vehicle)

Nearly 2 year on. Still got it.

Great car. Dints n scrapes all over.

Does what it says on the tin :thumb:

Believe it or not I am not a real petrol head cars should be practical and get me from a2b although I do like something a little different...

Agreed, cars are a functional item to me. Hence why I own a Citroen Berlingo (good for kids, carry the dog, messy stuff like transporting firewood, transporting bicycles etc)

It actually ticked a few of the boxes you mentioned but fell over for things like 4 wheel drive and getting the motorbike inside.

It does have cruise control though :thumb:

But japanese. Something like a Toyota Corolla verso or Rav 4.

Can get them cheap with low ish mileage and if looked after bomb proof.

My corolla is worth about a grand a half with 135 on the clock. D4D engine is robust as anything. Would be worth about the same in much lower mileage.

Agreed, we have a couple of old Toyotas and they are hard to kill. I know, I've been trying to kill mine for years so I can get rid of having a second car but the damn thing refuses to die.

In reality it sounds like you're after two different cars. A cheap runabout and a big tow barge. I doubt there's much that ticks both boxes.

Another vote for an old V70 AWD. I had one (diesel), never serviced it or gave it any sort of attention and it failed to die.

After a few years I flogged it on to a courier guy who took it well over 200k before crashing it.

My old VW Passat estate was brilliant! I bought it to carry my rescue rottweiler about which it managed perfectly.

And it towed my bike trailer.

This or a audi a4 avant

Get the 1.9tdi pd motor and it will go forever! I know of one with over 400k on the clocks so don't worry about high mileage

Ha Datsun Violet.

I spent the first 7 years of my working life at a Datsun dealership, welding up rotten Datsuns including Violets was a weekly event.

They used to rust on the inner wing.

As for a car I'd suggest a Toyota RAV4.

My Dad bought 2006 petrol model last year and loves it, fair bit of poke with 150hp and does mid 30s mpg.

He paid £2300 for it ,bit higher than your budget but earlier cheaper models are available.

Toyota's reliability is very good, he just sold his 1993 Hilux pickup he owned from new and put 150k miles on it.

We never had to touch the engine,still had the same clutch in it.

My old VW Passat estate was brilliant! I bought it to carry my rescue rottweiler about which it managed perfectly.

And it towed my bike trailer.

This or a audi a4 avant

Get the 1.9tdi pd motor and it will go forever! I know of one with over 400k on the clocks so don't worry about high mileage

Mate if mine has a A4 Avant with over 300k miles and it's still going strong.

My Audi A6 Avant has done over 110k now and still going strong. 3.0litre engine is nice and powerful and Quattro 4x4 with snow tyres is unstoppable.

Thanks for all the feedback... Having looked at a few cars it gets more of nightmare. The 2 dealers i went to yesterday suggested cars and had no understanding of dogs, look at this golf it has good size boot. It maybe true but parcel shelf space dog would hardly get his head out of!

Presently its either a Honda-CRV / Berlingo or random other efficient car that appears at right price...

The Audi's look good but its finding the estate (for dog and space) that is not over priced is going to be challenge...

I have a buddy in Northampton who I know is selling a 2007 Audi A4 Avant S line 2.0 Tdi 170Bhp. I don't know if that's anywhere near you and I don't know how much he wants for it but I can find out if you like. The fella is a car mechanic so it'll be a solid car.

I have a buddy in Northampton who I know is selling a 2007 Audi A4 Avant S line 2.0 Tdi 170Bhp. I don't know if that's anywhere near you and I don't know how much he wants for it but I can find out if you like. The fella is a car mechanic so it'll be a solid car.

Thanks for offer dont worry, northampton is 2.5-3 hours away. Plus the A4 is not big enough to tow our present caravan, long story but caravan is biggest I could buy at the time.

Still open to offers and ideas..

I'll sell you this for £2200, 1.4 TDCI .

Thanks again but sadly lack of 3rd seat is the issue its not often I need it but its still a requirement or I stay with my MG TF

The Audi 2 litre diesels have a habit of blowing up apparently.

I considered one before buying a BMW120d for OH but even they get flaky after 2006

I considered one before buying a BMW120d for OH but even they get flaky after 2006

I wouldn't know but he has put a new turbo on it and done some modification to the oil pump which was a necessary upgrade apparently. Like I say, he's a good mechanic so knows what needs done.

only the early 2005/6 model :thumb:

Oil pump drive shaft and oil pump drive chain tensioner