Wood or Metal shed?

Tiggie

I just can make up my mind :roll:

I have room in my back garden behind the garage for a shed approx 9x9 (could probably do 10x10 at a squeeze) but just cant make my mind up. For the prices of a metal one I could also fit into the budget insulating the inside and still have change to spare, also not having maintenance is a big plus.

A wooden one looks nicer, won't get as much condensation (a major reason I'm swayed towards it) and just feels more shed like :lol: but will probably cost double what I'd pay for a metal one.

Thoughts? anyone got a metal shed with horror stories of rusted tools etc or am I worrying too much?

A well insulated metal shed with good ventilation will probably be more secure, and reduce condensation effects. Ventilation is the key as any outside structure will get condensation if the humidity is high unless you raise the dew point temperature.

If you want security, a concrete one with good door. Most prefab garage companies make any size you want. You can often pick up complete garages cheap on Gumtree etc the 2ft panels just bolt together.

As for metal, the thin ones are not great, we have a one in our back garden and rust and strong winds have taken there toll, it is 10yr old but it looks crap now, as winter gets less wintery I'm going to replace it with wood

Don't buy wood from normal diy, find a proper builders merchant and see if they can do you a good price.

End of the day though you have to look at it 😁

If you want security, a concrete one with good door. Most prefab garage companies make any size you want. You can often pick up complete garages cheap on Gumtree etc the 2ft panels just bolt together.

As for metal, the thin ones are not great, we have a one in our back garden and rust and strong winds have taken there toll, it is 10yr old but it looks crap now, as winter gets less wintery I'm going to replace it with wood

Don't buy wood from normal diy, find a proper builders merchant and see if they can do you a good price.

End of the day though you have to look at it 😁

If you paint the metal in a red oxide paint it’ll stop any rust, then just paint over it to a nicer colour or alternatively you can get a galvanised spray to paint it, or buy it pre-galved

If you don't want condensation, insulate it, seal it and heat it continuously to 10°c.

Got my bike out this week and it is like the day I put it in last November with no protection on the bare metal.

Don't put anything wet in it though, must be bone dry when put away.

Ventilation is good if you're putting things in to dry, but after a frosty night, warmer air drifts in and condensates on the colder bulky metal.

Thoughts? anyone got a metal shed with horror stories of rusted tools etc or am I worrying too much?

Any decent metal storage shed/secure unit manufacturer should at least offer a 10year warranty against corrosion. galvanised steel and so on. I was looking at these:

Galvanised and powder coated. but not cheap.. built for security and an insurance discount. http://tinyurl.com/y4xfrmxt.

asgard_secure_steel_motorbike_storage_2.thumb.jpg.a3d1d4a68853419c0f432323ba88e619.jpg

Comparable to that is a beast shed.. if you want wood and something thats a lot more than a repurposed garden shed and looks right for the garden. And a genuine investment that will (if cared for) outlast you. can be fully bespoke and the price includes delivery and build. but.. this all comes at a cost. http://www.beastsheds.co.uk

motorbike-garage-shed.jpg.7e8ccbc8babd48c141f3c759110ccb5a.jpg

Im definitely leaning towards a Beast shed. double door at front, single at rear with window. pent style lean against the side of the house. floor that can take a forklift truck. but.. sadly the insurers will never be convinced that any kind of wooden shed is secure. so its a matter of weighing up your personal priorities and price you can justify.

Cheers all, I am leaning more towards a metal one, purely out of cost :roll: though if I see a nice wooden one for the right price I could change my mind :lol:

One of the other reasons I'm looking at metal though is due to where it will be situated it will be an absolute pain in the arse to paint on 3 sides

Untitled.thumb.png.3cb0601532525ec30087d8fbe3a10386.png

I bought a secondhand 12 x 10 shed for £400 . No rot, no damp, 3x2 beams, 20mm floor, 12mm roof boards, double doors both ends and 3 windows. They are out there. Took me and 4 mates 2 hours to move and build it.

ah.. I thought this was about bike storage.. never mind. my suggestions were far beyond what you are looking for.

more about running out of room in garage :lol: I'm thinking of making the shed my workroom where I can move all my tools and tinker about and leaving the garage for storage/ garden stuff, kids bikes etc.

I would imagine a wooden shed to be the best option because you can easily put up shelving or simply knock a nail in to hang something on . Probably a bit warmer and less prone to condensation in cold weather as well. Wood also has better sound proofing qualities so that you won't be able to hear anyone calling your name when you are judged to have been in there for too long.

ah.. I thought this was about bike storage.. never mind. my suggestions were far beyond what you are looking for.

more about running out of room in garage :lol: I'm thinking of making the shed my workroom where I can move all my tools and tinker about and leaving the garage for storage/ garden stuff, kids bikes etc.

In which case a decent wooden shed would be more suited, but you will still need some insulation, heating and ventilation if you are making it a man cave.

Also don't expect metal sheds to be more secure just because they are metal, the cheap ones are very thin.

A friend had metal shed with garage style locking bars securing door which gave impression of being secure until he lost key, took a couple of minutes cutting two 1 inch holes in door where the locking bars are with a leatherman and could then just pull bars to open door.

Loads of second hand concrete prefabs on eBay etc for sale for not a lot of money. Bolt them together, stick on an insulated roof and youre done for a fraction of the price and more secure than thin metal or wood.

Don't buy a shed make one if you can, it will be stronger.

And if you design it yourself you can put an observation turret on one corner.

If your keeping your bike in it is go with breezes block cost bit more but solid .ply board roof . Then roof felt then galvanised sheet on top . Then line the floor with carpet 100% bone dry .use an old up an over garage door fit hinges on it and use it like an ordinary door I fitted a set steel rods on the door so when you shut the garage door slide the steel rods in to the concert floor no way can that door it be opened .Then fit a fire door and put a sheet of alloy on the out side and use one way bolts and lock nuts to fit it to the fire door . Then fit two dead locks top and bottom and then in the middle normal key lock . No one will get in to nick your bike also you can fit a deadpost to the concrete wall and lock the bike to it can't can that with metal or wood .

As the SCUM out there want your bikes concrete sheds are better . Coat bit more by last a life time .

No discussion on sheds would be complete without a nod towards the long running series of advertisements featured in that national treasure that is Viz Comic.

325748661_wp_ss_20190217_0001(2).thumb.png.c8df1837a5642fc02d5689db015b1c3e.png